It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Occupy West' is alive and well!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
What have we here? Is Occupy up to mischief or are they fighting the good fight out there today?

(01-20) 11:08 PST SAN FRANCISCO -- Several protesters have been arrested this morning for blocking an entrance to the Wells Fargo building in downtown San Francisco, as demonstrators begin what they hope will be a day-long disruption of the city's Financial District.

It's certainly good to see the energy remains, even if tactics are...well...still a little confusing as to what the goal is.

Organizers of the protest, called Occupy Wall Street West, said they hope to shut down some of the city's largest downtown corporations with marches, demonstrations and flash mobs.

Whatever would they hope to accomplish with this?

The protest was timed to coincide with Saturday's two-year anniversary of the Citizen's United decision by the U.S. Supreme Court, which removed limits on how much money corporations could donate to political causes. Protesters, many of whom supported the Occupy movement in the fall, said the decision exacerbated the divide between the rich and poor by handing too much power to big business.
Source Article

Ahhh... Now with that last bit, it seems clear and oh how context makes all the difference. I hope the MSM coverage includes WHY they chose the financial district and just what the specific reason was that it matters this weekend. Apparently South Carolina has already gotten a taste of what they are protesting here:

Super-PACs and candidate committees already have spent more on television in South Carolina than during the entire campaign in New Hampshire, where candidates outspent super-PACs by $1.6 million to $1.4 million before the Jan. 10 primary. In Iowa, which held the kickoff contest on Jan. 3, candidates spent $4.5 million and super-PACs spent $2.7 million on broadcast TV. The South Carolina total is still rising because the CMAG data doesn’t include ads that will run in the final four days of the race.

Comedian Stephen Colbert, who has used his Comedy Central program to highlight the ineffectiveness of campaign finance laws aimed at reducing the influence of money in politics, poked fun at the explosion of super-PACs by forming his own. It is airing ads in South Carolina to help him explore running for “president of the United States of South Carolina.”
S ource

I'm not the die hard supporter of Occupy that I once was. However, in looking beyond their numerous faults and problems...they still stand for some very important issues that need attention and reform.

THIS one is among the worst problems our Election system now faces. I wasn't sure at the time the Super-Court did this how big a deal it would really become...but I think we're seeing the worst fears come to pass in our elections becoming a literal flood and Sea of political cash from all sources...where it used to have SOME limitations to it, anyway.

I don't have to agree 100% to say Occupy is doing some important things for raising awareness and public anger on some IMPORTANT issues.

Keep the Faith and Solidarity, San Francisco!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Thanks for the insight!

You know people say that the occupy movement doesn't know where it's going...Well, I think it's for the simple reason that they don't have a model for what is going to come or should come.

Have you ever asked yourself if it is possible to imagine something you have never seen before? Like for example a world without money. I mean a world whole heartedly rid of money not what we learn about our past that we HAVE to barder otherwise it's impossible or that some form of currency system has to exist because we are sooooo greedy without it. We can't cuz nobody ever told us how to; I know Christ did and I agree with him # money. However, we never learned about this model of society and how they lived. So I say it is extremly hard to imagine what we have never seen before. But, occupy seems to be trying that. Seems to be planting this very seed without knowing it.

How do you progress towards something like that? How do we dessociate our societies from this flawed model? How do we create/maintain/sustain an honest/open/sharing society? How do we make sure our future generation understand and priorities what is truly important?

I think occupy is trying to do just that. Attempting to move us away from this flawed model, this rigged game, this club that only a select few is part of ( George C. we love you) using intuition, instinct and trust which alot of our generation lacks. Alot of us are scientific minds and we all know what the stereotype for that is.Spineless super intelligent people that have a hard time trusting anything except the scientific method. There is a word for that! Yes! Nerd...Nerd will not charge unless scientific proof says so. Guess what science can be manipulated and skewed which is what is going on today (Irak was destroyed because of proof of non existant WMDs, I rest my case thats one example, tons exist GOOGLE IT). The nerd style is "IN" these days...Is it not?

I know one thing for sure is that humans have a hard time admiting they are wrong and right now, I think alot of people are in the wrong and boy are they having a hard time admiting it. I count myself as one who was wrong to have blindly followed for this long!

This idea needs to be adopted by only 5% of the population to become embedded according to Stanford University (Google it for all those science only people). Then if it speads to 20% it's UNSTOPABBLE.

Really think about your future people. Honestly think about it. About all the situations: in richness/povrety in sickness/health. I am sure money will invent more great technologies right? Like it did for us in the last centuries. Money, right? Not human inginuity, sharing of knowledge and brotherhood. Money... Yea right...

Do I make sense here or is this just all jibber jabber?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Went to visit the occupy london sites. They have three sights in london, one a stones throw from the stock exchange. They have even squatted a large bank. The sights are well set up and they provide food and security for peeps. They have information tents and libraries too..

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Wasn't there supposed to be some Occupy Congress earlier this week or something???

Did that just never happen...because I didn't hear a thing about it.

I didn't even know people were still really talking about "occupy"...it seems very dead to me.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Right, it might seem dead to you because it's not Occupy the Internet. Occupy the Congress did happen,

Hundreds of people affiliated with the Occupy Wall Street movement arrive at the U.S. Capitol in the early evening for a rally as part of an "Occupy Congress" event, in Washington on Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2012. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
Source

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
is every protest going to be associated with occupy?? any legitimate concern seems to be brushed off with, "oh it's just occupy, move along"

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
The authorities should use whatever means possible to hammer the OWS filth.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Some of these scum arer still out walking the streets. How come the Police haven't go off their lazy asses and got them safely well behind bars for big fat sentences?

new topics

top topics

join