It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A calm conversation is neded

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I was just reading throught the thread about racism, diversity, self preservation etc. I would have like to post to that thread but it has been closed and is currently under review due to the animosity of some of the posts. As I scrolled through and read the posts, I found myself agreeing or disagreeing with this or that. What struck me the most though, is the lengths people will go through to try to force you to admit to some point of view or opinion so that they can immediately bash you or try to show you that you are just as bad, if not worse, than they are. Why waste time arguing? This website gives us a place to post our OPINIONS. Not to try to convince someone to our way of thinking. If someone is asking for your opinion, they expect a response, not a diatribe. This website is the perfect example of diversity but apparently it is also the perfect example of the problems encountered when one or more groups think that their way of thought is "THE" way of thought. ATSers should be able to post an opinion without fear of being called names and such tomfoolery. If you disagree, that's all you need to say. You can even post how you see it, but there is no need to insult someone because they don't think what you think they should.
I kept seeing the phrase Anti-racist is codeword for Anti-white. I am having some trouble understanding this phrase. It LOOKS like it means if you are against racist, then you are against whites. Not exactly sure how that works but maybe someone can explain it to me. Racist means a person who believes in racism, the doctrine that a certain human race is superior to any or all others. Racism means a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others. So MY interpretation of this phrase would be " if you don't like a person who thinks that their race is superior and should rule others then you don't like white people". This strikes me as odd.
As I read more. the tone of the post degenerated more and more which is sad because I would have liked the discussion to continue, albeit in a more mature way.
My family is the epitome of diversity. My maternal grandmother is Chinese who married a black man (had 3 children) then a white man (1 child) then a hispanic man. My paternal grandfather was american indian and black. We are a VERY close family. For as long as I can remember my family has gotten together for every major holiday. I remember us all walking through the mall together (so we could spend our christmas money lol) and the strange looks we got from people. It didn't matter to us, we are family. So I KNOW for a fact that different ethnicities CAN get along.
The only obstacle is ourselves.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DivineFem

Of course different ethnicity's can get along. It's about realisation of a persons true character.

That being said. If you're forced to get along, with anyone it's not going to happen.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
EXACTLY. It has to be something we all want. That being said if it's not something you want then I guess we're doing alright. Either way, the world will keep spinning and you just have t live your life the best way you can. I'm glad I have my diverse family and my ultra diverse group of friends. I have learned so much from just being with them. I am a well rounded, open minded individual BECAUSE of it.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
So many points I agree with you in your post OP, very well spoken and thoughtful. Unfortunately it is very hard under the guise of anonymity to have a respectful conversation about something as historically and culturally tumultuous as 'race' (I really dislike that word btw, its inherently incorrect in reference to what is nothing more than expressions of phenotype within a single species aka homo sapiens)

I too am saddened by the amount of animosity this subject still brings out in people but such is the ebb and flow of differing cultural lenses that we all look through in a highly diverse world. Accept it as anther expression of that diversity and embrace it, it is our opinions and feelings that give us passion and that in its own right has a diamond in the rough kind of beauty to it.

Someday maybe people will see eye to eye but I am not holding my breath. Be the change you wish to see

cs
edit on 20-1-2012 by clowdstalker because: lrn to grammer

new topics

top topics

join