It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Korean M1 Garands Finally Coming Home?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Feltrick

I would like to see them brought back however with the political agenda/climate it would not surprise me if this government over pays Korea to cut, melt, break and destroy each and everyone of them..

"Obama's Administration approves bringing WWll Assault rifles back into America"! You can see the headlines now!

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

One of his post Navy yard EA's is to stop importing these rifles.

You know, because of all the gangsters using 80 year old M1's in drive0bys and what not.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by 43LEO729

Had a carbine on one of the boats I worked on for several years. Loved it.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
They will most likely come back the same way the last batch of M1 Garands did.
Cut in two with a torch. I doubt that there will be any usable parts left when they do get back. They will be cut into some many pieces you will not even be able to tell it ever was a M1 Garand.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

fixer1967
They will most likely come back the same way the last batch of M1 Garands did.
Cut in two with a torch. I doubt that there will be any usable parts left when they do get back. They will be cut into some many pieces you will not even be able to tell it ever was a M1 Garand.

I was fortunate enough to pick up one from the first batch they imported back in the 80's. Keep in mind that these are not going to be collector grade Garands; they'll have mismatched parts (mine had a SA receiver and a Winchester barrel), thoroughly beat up wood furniture from being stacked like cordwood in storage, and sometimes with functioning issues (mine had an operating rod that kept jumping out of its slot until I replaced it). It will almost certainly be parkerized with that weird coating that makes it look like gray sand is stuck to it and it will ALWAYS have an importer name stamped on the barrel. I've heard from other people who had these who had completely shot out barrels to the point that they were really smoothbores.

The bad news is, even if you're lucky enough to get one that doesn't look and shoot as if it was dragged in back of a pickup truck, at best it's going to be in "fair" to "good" condition. Don't expect any museum quality here. The GOOD news is that even specimens in good condition increase in value. I paid $300 for mine in the '80's and even though it's a complete Frankenstein it's still worth at least $800 today because even the shooters are getting scarce.

In short, having to pay extra to get a qood quality M1 Garand rather than praying that the gov't will have a change of heart and allow a freighter full of junkers to be imported may be the better way to go in the end.
edit on 19-11-2013 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Would love to see them at Big 5 someday!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I'd be very excited to see this deal go down, despite being located in Canada, as I'm sure there would be a trickle-down effect and see some of those Garand's and M1's wind up north of the border (legally, ofcourse).

I don't have much experience with guns but have been thinking of getting one or two for the longest time and would love a chance to own a Garand as they're one of the few semi-auto rifles that are legal to own here in Canada. My uncle has one and is very reluctant to give it up, despite my insistence. My father also owned a wood stock M1 but he had the barrel shortened and it became illegal with the passage of the new gun laws in the late-90's, so he had to turn it in.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join