It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting a job on a cruise ship in the UK Help!?!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Basically despite being in a good job atm I'm pretty bored and applying for all kinds of interesting jobs. Before anyone mentions I am well aware that working on a cruise ship seems a lot better than it it, but I'll be going into this with an ok amount of money saved anyway so even if the pays pretty bad I'm not too bothered. I just want a chance to get paid to travel (even if it means I'll be working a fair bit)

There are a few different things I could do that would be above entry level positions, the problem is online it's just website after website of scams trying to get you to pay agencies to get you a job! Now I work in recruitment now so know that this is total balls. Just wondering if anyone knew of anyone who had done this before?

My other option was to take some time out as a travelling musician, but I'd rather be placed somewhere that I know I'm guna least be working for a bit of cash rather than going totally mad partying the entire.

ATS literally seems to have answers to everything which is why I thought I'd throw this out there. Any similar ideas for something interesting and different would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
i am aso job hunting after being laid off the other week and with that cruise liner going down i thought that working at sea is a good option that i had been compleatly overlooking.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by haven123

haha me too, my mate was on the Greek ferry that sank a couple years ago as well when she was only 18 and a fair few people dies on that, Doesn't put me of though! Going down like a gentleman playing in full band attire to my death is a lot better fate than 30 years in an office.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Is "travelling musician" codename for "busker"?

Nah I kid.

A couple of my friends have worked on cruise ships before.

Try to find the right cruise ship where everything will be all inclusive, from accommodation to food.

They loved every minute of it..It sounds like one big constant boat party!

One of them had a role involving looking after kids..which sounds strenuous..But she said, that was only during the day, then evening & night time was drinking & partying!

But be prepared to be away from home for a long time..we're talking at least 5-6 months possibly.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

Yes it is! My mate who is a top blues guitarist went alone from Florida to California busking his way across the states, He ended up in a Quinton Tarrantino premier and in a recording studio with The Transplants, but this was mainly from his womenising skills rather than his musical talent! Never the less it made me fancy it. I was more thinking of touring the UK and Europe though in my band atm, it's hard to convince a band of guys to up n leave for a few months though in this climate where money is tight.

There seems to be a fair few positions I have experience in, just have no idea how easy it is to get accepted, some say it's easy, but I'm doubtful. So far every job I've applied for is all inclusive and the pay is not too bad, plus they give you at least 4 weeks holiday in 6 months which is what I get a year atm, Seems like the most lucrative roles are things like cocktail bartenders as the tips must be pretty big (I'm a mean cocktail barmen as well!) or something commission based in retail. A musician on a cruise ship would be fun, but I don't wana be in the rock n' roll mindset on a cruise ship.

It's weird, since that accident I've thought of it a lot. I think the prospect of gentlemenly going down with a ship playing my instrument to my death is just too fantastic an image to pass up. Obviously though rather than brass my instrument would be an electric guitar and the song I would be blaring to my death would be 'Kickstart My Heart' by Motley Crue and I think in that brief moment of the perfect death would be worth it all!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Haha, I'd love to go out on a sinking ship in a full tuxedo with bow-tie, playing music as I go down.

Well, it sounds like you've done your homework & is something that appeals to you.

You mention you're a barman too, so that'd be a bonus if you could get a job on the ship in that role.

As for busking through Europe..Man, that would be an experience.

Unfortunately, I play piano, so it'd be difficult to lug this Yamaha around the UK & abroad!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

Yea you can get gigs in Europe pretty easily it's just the cost of getting there that puts people of, worth it for the experience though.

Ha mate piano is the ultimate instrument, I still wish I learnt piano before guitar so I could be a real musician instead of a mad power chord hungry, screaming soloing guitarist who gets of on dressing up glamed up as much as the craft of music!

You could indeed blag some gigs in fancy piano bars. Do a Bill Bailey and insert random subliminal messages in there and the language difference would make it all the easier to get away with!

top topics

join