It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antartica 2012

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+76 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
From 2011 onwards the news were reporting on how the Russians were about to break through part of the Antarctic ice sheet and reach a sub-terrain lake called 'Lake Vostok'.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.bbc.co.uk...

However over environmental and possibly political concerns the global scientific community demanded that the Russians wait until 'hot water drilling' , a much cleaner environmentally friendly alternative was available for them to use, as the current technology they are using could contaminate Lake Vostok.

But another, much more interesting concern was also being talked about, scientists across the world believed that Lake Vostok was only a small 'hub' in a massive network of subterranean lakes, and that by breaching the ice sheet that covered the lake a pressure change would occur that could effect the whole subterranean lake network they knew so little about !

Just in case there are any readers needing clarification on the term 'subterranean lake' here's a short description:
An underground lake or a subterranean lake is a lake under the surface of the Earth's crust. Such a lake may be associated with caves, aquifers, or springs.

Okay, so we are now in 2012 and the whole story has developed quite a bit, scientists from all over the world are gathering at different subterranean lakes across Antarctica in a coordinated attempt to gather samples the likes of which many sci-fi movies are based on. So it seems in the 2011-2012 'gap' the Russians could not be persuaded to stop there drilling of Lake Vostok , so instead the different nations ran to there own lakes and started drilling as well ! It would seem on the face of it that by coordinating the different drilling operations scientists might be able to balance out the resulting pressure change that will happen once the ice sheet is pierced, or maybe they are all in a rush to get the first samples.

earthsky.org...

So whats so important about these samples ? Well if you haven't been reading the links prepare for a whopper:
These samples will definitely contain microbial life, considering the extreme conditions, if microbial life is found it could be used as evidence that life may be present on the moons of Europa in outer space (good news for all you alien lovers out there) !

Furthermore samples have already been obtained which contain Hydrogenophilaceae , a life form which survives at roughly 50C (122F) , these samples are thought to survive in a temperate zone created by mysterious geothermal activity that scientists only know exist in theory.

en.wikipedia.org...

But the story gets even more interesting, for on Antarctica actual dinosaur remains exist, the main three sites are the Mount Kirkpatrick Formation , Snow Hill Island Formation and the Santa Marta Formation, here's the wiki links :

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

If the subterranean lakes on Antarctica are the remnants of a period when dinosaurs once existed, the life forms contained within there (Apparently some what hot) watery lakes could actually be reflections of such an age, imagine having access to life forms that had never encountered the surface world before?

And now comes the inevitable paragraph of speculation, which entertains our imagination rather than the possible conclusions, but none the less this paragraph contains by far strangest information....when this was written (JAN 2012) all drilling expeditions were being postponed until December 2012, that means when the Mayan calendar (and many others) reach the 'end of the cycle' many scientists will be arriving in Antarctica, attempting to breach the ice sheet and gain samples which have been hailed as possibly being able to give humanity insight into its own evolution, what a coincidence..but science doesn't believe in coincidence, right ?

Another interesting coincidence is that in December 2012 when Lake Vostok is being breached we may discover (or disturb) the strange 'circular mass of metal' which could be the geothermal heat generator that's keeping those bacteria mentioned earlier alive !

“You know, they have classified Lake Vostok. They took it away from JPL who were monitoring it. Are you familiar with Lake Vostok in Antarctica? Under the ice in Antarctica there is a fresh-water lake deep, deep down under the ice, that’s 100 miles long and 50 miles wide. Fresh water. The temperature in the damn lake is about 65 degrees, which is pleasant swimming, you might say. “But at the end of Lake Vostok is what’s known as a gigantic masscon—a mass concentration of metal, very similar to the masscons they discovered on the Moon — a gigantic, circular-shaped, metallic object deep under the ice at the end of Lake Vostok. The National Security Agency took it away from JPL. It’s one of the most sensitive things in the world now, the anomaly at the end of the lak. It’s now classified, top secret.”

www.exohuman.com...

So what exactly do you think we will discover in the subterranean lakes of Antarctica in 2012 ?

Another 'side note' would be that because of the geological nature of these subterranean lakes, they would be a very good place to scurry of to if a SHTF scenario occurs, they are underground, they generate fresh water, geothermal cycles could allow life to flourish even, just a thought for all you doomers
or maybe its a gateway to the hollow earth (for all you hollow-earthers)..who knows?..we will by the end of the year !

Anyway hope you enjoyed the thread, thanks for reading !
edit on 17-1-2012 by TruthIncarnate because: no reason given

edit on 17-1-2012 by TruthIncarnate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthIncarnate

What do I think we will find in the underground lakes of Antarctica? Well, water for sure.
. But what I really think they will find is just samples of microbial life forms. What I WANT them to find?... Something to the tune of Aliens vs Predators.

I don't think it will have anything to do with the whole December 2012 thing. Geez, you can't plan anything in December without some yahoos going on about the Mayans. December is when Antarctica is (relatively) warm, so the best time to drill. Its going to be an interesting scientific find though.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Very, very good post. It is so refreshing to see something different from the usual around here. On the mundane side of things I am very excited to hear about the life they find down there, and use any lessons learned to refine our ideas on how extraterrestrial extremophile life could work, and I'd like to find out about the geology (if it is geology
) that allows these lakes to exist.

On the more spectacular side of speculation, I would really love it if they found something really interesting down there

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

But at the end of Lake Vostok is what’s known as a gigantic masscon—a mass concentration of metal, very similar to the masscons they discovered on the Moon — a gigantic, circular-shaped, metallic object deep under the ice at the end of Lake Vostok.

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this issue, but is this 'masscon' supposed to be a natural formation or does the description, 'circular-shaped metallic object', suggest this may be some sort of downed craft?
edit on 17-1-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSleepCreep

I agree with both of you, i think we will find microbial life and not much else. 2012 may just another year,but every year is special because it was the only one of its kind

I to hope for something interesting or ancient, but much turns to dust over time.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I have thoughts of Bigfoots lounging about on the white beaches underneath Antarctica with Lock Ness Mosters frolicking in the water carefree. But, you never know...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Its anyone's guess really, could be a natural phenomenon, could be a downed craft, could be ancient tech, i personally dont trust the source of that info, i got the link from another ATS thread about Vostok Lake and included it to 'spice up' the contents a bit, catering for the more imaginative ATS members out there i guess

Whats for definite is that there is a geothermal anomaly, and the word 'anomaly' scares many scientists, plus there is *Something* odd about the Antarctic continent in general, the way it drifts and its ability to generate fresh water, plus its environment, its a very odd continent in that it possesses many unique traits, as well as possible secrets !
edit on 17-1-2012 by TruthIncarnate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Phenomenal thread, very interesting information. If the chances they'll find microbial life are relatively high, I wonder what the chances are of finding complex organisms the likes of which we've never imagined? We find new alien (as in new and strange, not extraterrestrial) deep-sea organisms living in bone-crushing pressure zones on just about every deep-sea expedition, but these lakes have been locked away in a geological time-capsule for millions of years! Separated from the outside world, taking on its own chain of evolution... Man, I can't wait to find out what's down there! Hoping for some sort of bio-luminescent Loch Ness Monster

Oh, and as for the "gigantic, circular-shaped, metallic object", and the lake being classified as "top secret": I find that reason to believe that the Governments of the world find this anomaly to be of great interest, and possibly a thread to the security of their secrets... Just a thought

Again, phenomenal thread, I would flag, but I don't have enough posts yet
So, star for now

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Great thread. I tend to agree with other posters that we may get some unusual bacteria strains from the lake and some really interesting geology from the lake if they lower remote cameras. The large mass may even prove to be quite interesting and perhaps an unknown asteroid impact. Great article and find. My best,

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

But at the end of Lake Vostok is what’s known as a gigantic masscon—a mass concentration of metal, very similar to the masscons they discovered on the Moon — a gigantic, circular-shaped, metallic object deep under the ice at the end of Lake Vostok.

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this issue, but is this 'masscon' supposed to be a natural formation or does the description, 'circular-shaped metallic object', suggest this may be some sort of downed craft?
edit on 17-1-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

You said what i was thinking and going to ask too until i seen you're post
. I wonder if it could be a craft?, the description fits the bill
. but i dont know if it could be formed naturally too, so hopefully we will get a smart person here to give us some info on this
, Star+flag for the OP, and a star for you too my friend for saying what i was thinking

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
According to the free ebook "earth mother our womb of life" the core of the earth is to be birthed through the antarctic and become a moon, immediately after earth will ascend and take the place of Venus in rotation of the sun.

I think that this is classified above top secret for a good reason.

I think that if they will drill into it, they will find that the metal anomaly will be concentrated nickel and iron.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BagOfDrewshness

I would flag, but I don't have enough posts yet So, star for now

I got you covered...

Wonder if the Russians know something we don't...under the guise of 'whatever', but they are pretty crafty.

OP - good stuff, look forward to more from you...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Firstly, dinosaurs and or mesozoic sea life could not survive under 2 miles of rock and ice. These animals lived during an extremely warm period of earths long history, meaning that without sunlight the dinosaurs could not survive and without warm, tropical seas the sea life could not survive. It would be easier to look for them at the equator not the coldest continent.
Also, you state dinosaur fossils have been found in Antartica, but also realise that Antartica was not at the current polar circle that it is today. In fact, 200 million years ago, Victoria in Australia was at the Antartic circle.

Secondly, you do realise there is a southern hemisphere and that it has different seasons than the north. December is the easiest time to explore Antartica since that is the height of summer in the southern hemisphere.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
It seems that perhaps the core is beginning to crown. Just as a baby about to be born.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

Right - I thought at one point all the continents were joined together in one landmass "Pangaea" -so one would expect to find fossils & other life forms on Antarctica?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

He's talking about dinosaur fossils, not living dinosaurs, silly

Reconstruction of the world 195 million years ago

Antarctica was relatively cold 200 mya but even by today's climate standards large parts of it would be like Alaska or Siberia cold, not completely covered in ice as we see now. There are complex animals of the dominant type of land animal, mammals, in those places today (reindeer, caribou, bears, foxes, wolves wolverines and so on).

Let's not forget that the world back then was much warmer and wetter than it is now.

I find it hard to believe that the dominant land animal of the time, dinosaurs (who were warm blooded and had feathers or fur sometimes) didn't live in the area of what is now Antarctica

Edit: reread your post and saw that you weren't arguing about dinosaurs never living there, sorry
edit on 17-1-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Any one think of operation highjump?
The operation did take place.....but did it really get run out of antarctica ?
Read all about it or watch the you tube version, the story is fantastic if half true>
Now you tell me about some huge metalic edifice at one end of lake vostok???
How big is it?
Surely they must have some idea of its mass or whatever.....
This is very interesting stuff, antarctica land of mystery

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Do you really think, what is being released is the truth?
I for one believe that they, being Russia or whomever, have long already drilled into the lake and etc, but are saying they haven't to not upset the environmentalists or any other entity that would be upset by they drilling into the lake...

I have no evidence to this, but this is what I personally believe

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
A massive circular metal object that we aren't sure of? Sounds like a Forerunner artifact from Halo.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
They've been down there working continuously since WWII, do you really think they're just now getting around to checking out the lakes or the chunk of metal? No, they're just now making it public. What ever it is they're doing, it's serious enough that it brought together public enemies including the Nazis.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join