It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burning Rig

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I thought some of you might like to see what it's like when a well blows out.

This rig is/was one of my rigs (for monitoring) and it was brought to my attention that it is no more.

From what I know, the rig was just starting to drill and ran into some heavy surface gas. What this basicly means is, the rig started drilling, and only a few hundred feet down, they ran into a pocket of gas just under the top layer of earth. Before the rig could "shut it in", the well blew out and this is what happens shortly after.

No one was hurt, and this is not THAT uncommon. It does happen in the oilfield from time to time.

Since this is new and happened recently, I thought I would throw this up here. One of the rig hands was able to film it.. why he's selling DVDs of it is beyond me. I'm guessing his company thinks it's ok, since this video is on the company site as well.

Anyways... Enjoy!

edit on 16-1-2012 by theRhenn because: typos

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Wow and thanks for sharing.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Wow, I watch that and wonder why the government even THINKS about charging me a carbon tax. I have never caused so much carbon emission. I am like a gnat compared to huge corporations.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

lol What you say is very true. These dont happen that often, but they do happen. I've seen 3 in the last 5 years, personaly.

Oh yeah.. In comparison, this one is very small to the other's I've seen.
edit on 16-1-2012 by theRhenn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
At least it's not burning crude. If I am not mistaken that is much more of a bitch to deal with. How big was this gas pocket?

new topics

top topics

join