It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do you think this CPU cooler will fit on this micro ATX Motherboard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
cooler

motherboard

i need a good cpu cooler so i can core unlock* an am3 dual core black edition to a quad core.
edit on 10-1-2012 by SupersonicSerpent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
yup

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SupersonicSerpent

It should fit on the motherboard easily, that's not a problem. This cooler is quite heavy though, as long as the motherboard is properly and thoroughly secured to the case, you shouldn't have any problems with fracturing of the motherboard (I've heard horror stories of this very thing happening with heavy coolers, though they are few and far between).

What you should be worried about is if it will fit in your case. I would say that it probably won't fit in an ATX micro or mini tower, it will probably fit in an ATX mid tower (though I would do some measurements to make sure), and it will almost definitely fit in an ATX full tower.

i need a good cpu cooler so i can overclock an am3 dual core black edition to a quad core.

To my knowledge, this is not possible, as the hardware is not there to make a dual-core processor into a quad-core processor, and overclocking would not change this fact. Unless there was some physical hardware modding (which wold be difficult, if not impossible for even expert engineers), I just don't see this happening.

However, if you meant you want to overclock your dual-core to run at the same speed as a certain quad-core processor, this is entirely possible, and I apologize for the misinterpretation.

Good luck!

edit on 10-1-2012 by Drewshbag because: added quote & response to quote

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
In a microatx case? No.

On a workbench? Yes.

If you're using a regular ATX case you're probably ok.

Good rule for deciding if a CPU cooler will fit - take the width measurement from your case and add 1 inch. Convert the CPU cooler mm measurement to inches.

If value 1 is greater than value 2 you are good to go. If not, you need to shop more.

If you are using a microATX case might I recommend the Scythe line of lo-pro CPU coolers? Very effective and compact.

Happy geeking!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Drewshbag

I have done a bit of research on it if you look at the motherboard i listed at the bottom its says it has a built in core unlocker and this motherboard works excellent with a AMD Phenom II X2 565 Black Edition Dual-Core Processor - 3.40 GHz, 7MB Cache, Socket AM3, 80W,

i should of put core unlock instead of over clock.

you can unlock extra cores as long as you maintain a cool temp or it will slightly overheat

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Not all chips are created equal. Some 565BEs will unlock while others won't. I wouldn't trust a CPU with unlocked cores to be particularly stable without stress testing in Prime95 for at least 4 hours.

Asus is a great manufacturer and the 880 chipset is great. If you really want 4 cores buy the 970BE - it's pretty cheap and can be OC'd like crazy and easily with that Asus board. (I have the asus m4a88td-evo usb3 and have worked a lot with Asus boards)

So, in short.. Save the $$ on an aftermarket cooler for now, sell your current CPU locally and put these moneys toward a chip that is designed to run 4 cores.

Or wait until mid-late 2012, when LOTS of great hardware is coming both from AMD and Intel, and prices on the Phenom chips will drop bigtime. Or spend more and get the new tech. either way!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

That is a nice processor the 970BE but it will kill my budget of £550 i need to build a half decent gaming pc with a £80+graphics card alone. and get an HD monitor with ok resolution.

if you could recommend a nice build id appreciate it but remember I am from the u.k,even if it was cheaper to get parts in the U.S the P&P would kill my budget.

this monitor seems to fit my budget nicely.

moniter

1920x1080 Resolution i am not sure if it is 21.5-inch or a 16.9-inch though as the title and the description say different

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

this was the build I had in mind.

Motherboard

cpu

PSU

RAM

Graphics card

Sata Hard drive

Gaming case

Thermal paste

monitor

and i am tempted to get one of these but heard a few horror story's about them leaking and destroying whole rigs

watercooler

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Huh, I have never heard of core clocking before.

Guess it's been longer than I thought since I've ventured into all the overclocking business

I spent $1,600 (about £1,050) on my gaming rig back in 2008, and I have only had to upgrade the graphics card (and only once) since then, which ran me ~$250. My PC still plays most modern games max settings at 40-60fps no problem (with the exception of Batman Arkham City, which told me it's about time for a new processor, which unfortunately means a new motherboard as well
).

My point is, that I spent the extra cash to make my machine a bit more future-proof without going overboard, and it saved me a decent amount of money on periodic upgrades in the long run.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I was thinking about splashing out on an i5 sandy bridge but i dont really play games that have ultra graphic settings or processor Hungary .ill mostly be playing mmorpgs like uncharted waters online ddo online.and Eve online

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

this rig on amazon i think is a complete rip off with over 2 and half grand i could probably build a 5 times better pc

over priced pc

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SupersonicSerpent

this rig on amazon i think is a complete rip off with over 2 and half grand i could probably build a 5 times better pc

over priced pc

Yeah, with that rig you're paying a lot for bells and whistles. You'll always get a better value building your own - plus it's a good learning experience. I would for the most part avoid anything Acer but monitors. Speaking of monitors, that is a 21.5" monitor (diagonally) with 16:9 (widescreen) aspect ratio - these are two different things. The first is the physical size and the second is the ratio (width:height) at which the monitor can display. Those specs are exactly where they should be.

Too bad international shipping is so expensive - it looks like you guys have much more expensive prices on that side o' the pond.

new topics

top topics

join