It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boycott SOPA: An Android app that terrifies publishers and politicians

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Fair enough, but if we're going to play Seven Degrees of Separation, then the corporations with clean hands are pretty scarce here. Pepsi Co, for example, has some board members who also sit on boards for SOPA supporting corporations. Like:
Steven Reinemund: Sits on the pepsi board as well as Johnson & Johnson
Roger Enrico: Pepsi and American Film Institute. AND chairman of Dreamworks Animation, a child of Viacom, which is a MAJOR SOPA supporter.
Christopher Sinclair: Pepsi and chairman of the Scandent Group, which is entirely embedded with the CEOs of SOPA supporters like Vivendi, Warner Music, Walmart, and pretty much all of the little corps connected with IGC.

With modern corporation's being as brutally incestuous as they are today, I personally think it nigh unto impossible to not be able to somehow connect Company XYZ with SOPA support in some way or another. Hell, if you take it even further and look at sponsorships and commercial spending, then you've completely entrenched every corporation in America with SOPA supporting entertainment outlets in one way or another.

It is an admirable intent, but the way to stop SOPA isn't through bombarding the corporations which support the bill... The only way to stop it is to make it absolutely clear that politicians who vote for it will not be reelected. If you can't get enough voters on board to make THAT a reality, then there's no way you could get enough consumers on board to make any boycott hold sway over the corporate supporters.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
What if your phone manufacturer supported SOPA

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Hey friend come to Brazil! You'll be surprised by how much of my country is owned by Coca-Cola.
About thirty percent of everything in supermarkets are Coca-Cola's property. From beverages to juices, teas, bottled water, and many many more products. They own so many brands here that most people have no idea until they read on the top of the package in very small letters "This product is property of Coca-Cola". I know it's hard for people in first world countries to understand the reality of third world nations or get information about them since there are so much desinformation going on in these places. But it's sad, it's not only here, I believe I say this for the entire South America when I say Coca-Cola and other United States companies literally own part of our continent. Plus many big succesful local companies, including a big crackers brand and another big tea brand were bought by Coca-Cola last year here in Brazil. So yeah, they've been doing a great job hiding their true actions and intentions from the public huh. Imagine now what other big monopoly companies have been doing. It's a nightmare and they call it 'The American Dream'.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
This is a really critical issue with regard to internet rights, anyone who thinks it sounds innocent is severely mistaken. This type of blocking will be done at the DNS level with the Authoritative and Caching servers using blacklists of domains provided by the Govt.

Sound familiar, China, Iran...etc...

You can get around it however if you know the IP address of the site since it will at least initially be configured within the DNS infrastructure...

Or just point your DNS addresses to a Service Providor outside the US to get your A record responses...

Sniper out...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

It is an admirable intent, but the way to stop SOPA isn't through bombarding the corporations which support the bill... The only way to stop it is to make it absolutely clear that politicians who vote for it will not be reelected. If you can't get enough voters on board to make THAT a reality, then there's no way you could get enough consumers on board to make any boycott hold sway over the corporate supporters.

I agree with everything you said, except for the excerpt above. Having DancedWithWolves in politics a time or two, the thing I learned is there is no ONE WAY to accomplish anything in government - good or bad. In fact, one of the major mistakes politicians make is to assume that because they have come up with A solution - that they have found THE solution. Politicians become entrenched in one solution and as more information on some of the ramifications of their policy choices, come to light, they become unwilling to consider other options.

Taking on government to try to lobby a position, without the might of a DC lobbying firm behind you, takes more than making them think about votes. Yes, that is one card we consumers and citizens have to play, but we can't rely on only one approach.

This app is merely one more tactic to use in convincing the house, senate, president and yes, even corporations who support (aka write checks to politicians who support) the misguided SOPA solution. The way to spin a politician's head is to come at them from so many angles they didn't expect, that they are forced to pause and re-evaluate their objective and mission given the developing climate. Live fire (boycotts) from fronts you hadn't anticipated (an app with long-ranging ramifications in all things boycott) helps. It is one more jenga block pulled from their tower. Enough blocks pulled, brings it down - when they have more to lose than gain - and I don't just mean the politicians.

Example:

Paul Ryan's SOPA Stance Changes: GOP Representative Comes Out Against Internet Piracy Bill

In a statement released on his official website, the House Budget Committee chairman outlined why he does not support the bill, noting that the current openness offered by the web should stay as is.

"The internet is one of the most magnificent expressions of freedom and free enterprise in history. It should stay that way. While H.R. 3261, the Stop Online Piracy Act, attempts to address a legitimate problem, I believe it creates the precedent and possibility for undue regulation, censorship and legal abuse. I do not support H.R. 3261 in its current form and will oppose the legislation should it come before the full House."
Mashable notes that a Reddit campaign may have played a role in Ryan's decision. "Operation Pull Ryan" was introduced last month, directing criticism against the congressman over his then-pro stance toward the bill. Ryan has accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars from organizations that support the initiative.

Rob Zerban, Ryan's 2012 Democratic challenger, has been part of the Reddit thread. The Kenosha County Supervisor applauded Ryan's change of heart as an example of social networking power.

"This is an extraordinary victory," Zerban wrote. "Reddit was able to force the House Budget chair to reverse course -- shock waves will be felt throughout the establishment in Washington today -- other lawmakers will take notice."

Source

Protests against SOPA need to come from many fronts - including an app. Politicians, to be honest, don't really pay much mind to constituents until right before an election. Their calendars are full of breakfasts, lunches, dinners, cocktails and meetings with folks with bigger checks - so they can pay for their media campaigns (among other things) later on - to convince you they cared all along.

With NDAA and now SOPA, we need to app(ly) every tool we can. Just my two cents.

Peace

ETA: It is incumbent upon each of us to find ways to be heard by those in a position to make or influence policy, when we say,"SOPA SUCKS." We need them to pause and realize that yes, sometimes legislation (although it sounded peachy in the development stage) just really, really sucks, upon review.

A lot of paper and legislative drafts come across any elected officials desk on many different topics. I dearly hope many more of them reconsider their support upon reflection. Unfortunately, this hunk of paper needs to go in the circular file.

Anyone else ever feel like a Who from Whoville trying to yell out to those in power, "We're here. We're here. We're here."

edit on 10-1-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Sounds good, hopefully they will make it on blackberry and Ovi too. Imagine if Pepsi didnt support sopa. Coke would be scared.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by tw0330
This is awesome. Now I need one for my computer too.

Just wish I could get a viable solution to replace Microsoft products.

FreeBSD works. You might need to learn more about UNIX than what you currently know, perhaps, but it's not hard. www.freebsd.org... if you're interested. It is well documented with the Handbook, as well.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Well, the last Coke I will every buy got tossed in the garbage after reading this. Next, the house goes total Linux.
That's 4 MS machines, and I can do everything I need with Open Source software.
They won't be back until SOPA is dead. What in the hell is this government thinking? And as for economic reform?, it will set it back years, or worse, it will collapse.

Wow, I have alot of other cleanup to do: Check this out-

Source: Insider

The following list is every single member of the Business Software Alliance. Each of them is complicit in supporting SOPA unless they publicly distance themselves from the BSA on the issue. As the companies are, presumably, dues paying members of the BSA, they are financially supporting the enaction of SOPA. Adobe Apple Autodesk AVEVA AVG Bentley Systems CA Cadence Design Systems CNC Software – Mastercam Compuware Corel Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks Corporation Dell Intel Intuit Kaspersky McAfee Microsoft Minitab Progress Software PTC Quark Quest Rosetta Stone Siemens PLM Software, Inc. Sybase Symantec TechSmith The MathWorks

edit on 12-1-2012 by charlyv because: added content

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
This app requires version 2.1 or newer of the Android OS. Now just to go down to my local pawn shops and see if I can find a tablet to stop SOPA!
edit on 1/12/2012 by InFriNiTee because: requires 2.1 or newer

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
No one cares about the barcode scanners permissions it requires on your phone???

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I tried using this and have been told by several places they'll remove me from the store if I do it again

The places that stopped me:
Aldi
Boots
Gamestop
Iceland
Lidl
Marks & Spencer

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Why stop there?

questions.coca-cola.com...

Might as well tell them why there stock is about to drop like a rock and why they will have to lay off a lot of people.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeissRitter
I tried using this and have been told by several places they'll remove me from the store if I do it again

The places that stopped me:
Aldi
Boots
Gamestop
Iceland
Lidl
Marks & Spencer

They probably think your from a rival grocery store. Contact the Store Manager or Aldi corporate headquarters and explain the situation as well as ways they can verify that everything is on the up and up. unless of course they wish Aldi's to be added to the companies that support SOPA.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
It would be great to use on products that do animal testing. Boycott with a message. It's a BWA'M haha.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I tried to look for the app on my iPod...No Luck

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I have been using this app and it is very helpful. Thank you for posting this! SOPA should not be passed!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This is tech at its best.. I am going to DL this one....

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
That´s how we beat the system, using our brain

There are always a way out, we just need to find it and use it...
Well, it´s better to storm the White House for a complete cleaning and start all over again.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
But now they suddenly try to do it in EU, with "ACTA"...

ACTA, SOPA and PIPA would destroy the Internet: youtu.be...

Stop ACTA: www.stopacta.info...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join