It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boycott SOPA: An Android app that terrifies publishers and politicians

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+77 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Boycott SOPA: An Android app that terrifies publishers and politicians

Armchair activists now have a tool that can transport their SOPA protestations into the real world: Boycott SOPA, an Android app that scans barcodes and tells you whether an object’s manufacturer/publisher is a supporter of the much maligned Stop Online Piracy Act.

Here's how the user-driven app works:

If you’ve ever scanned a barcode on your Android phone to look up a book or CD on Amazon, Boycott SOPA works in exactly the same way: First you have to install the ZXing Barcode Scanner app, but then you simply go around pointing your phone’s camera at product barcodes. Boycott SOPA gives you a big red cross if the product is distributed by a SOPA supporter, or a green tick if it’s “clean.” Much to my chagrin, Coca-Cola supports SOPA — but Smirnoff, on the other hand, does not. If you ever needed a sign from Above that you ought to drink more, there it is.

Source

Download free app link

Again, you cannot hold me or anyone else responsible for what my neighbor says or repeats, over the fence line.

That's what the internet is. It is your fence post you lean on when you want to talk things over, contribute, collaborate, with your cyber neighbor. What SOPA is trying to do is use some newly imagined liability as your neighbor's keeper, to control and constrict where and how and even what can be shared in future conversations.

Dear gov, get out of my backyard and off my property. We will no longer be your enabler for greed to be the sole motivation and driving force, in all policy issues.

For God's sake you legislative lackeys, people are starving in your streets, good people and people who are willing to work; and you are still playing the game to see who wins this round of monopoly by hoarding the most cash.

SOPA needs to go down the drain. Beware all ye who are bending over in the shower to pick SOPA up. It appears there's an app for that.

How SOPA could kill ATS

SOPA worse than you think

edit on 9-1-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
This is awesome. Now I need one for my computer too.

Just wish I could get a viable solution to replace Microsoft products.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
hurray got my posting privilleges back.good idea but as one of the first comments on the market says,why not open source?beware of greeks bearing gifts!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

I like geeks. If you find another source, please share.

Now...

Imagine....

Inadvertently, though, the developers of Boycott SOPA have given us a tantalizing hint of how technology empowers consumers. Imagine for a second if you chopped “SOPA” from the name of the app and simply called it “Boycott.” Imagine if there was an Android app that let you boycott whatever you wanted. If you had a personal beef with Coca-Cola — which has very long tendrils indeed — you could program the app to pick up anything produced by Coca-Cola and its manifold subsidiaries. Likewise, if you want to stick it to publishers or artists that refuse to make their songs available on Spotify, you could tell Boycott to block them.

Source

And welcome back.

Peace.
edit on 9-1-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Damn, now I really REALLY wish my Kobo Vox had a camera. side note....

Isn't it interesting that the news companies and cable companies backing SOPA are also not talking about it at all? Anyone with half a brain and a basic understanding of the technology, upon reading some of what is proposed, would be shocked and alarmed at where this is going.

Don't worry, because under SOPA, this app would probably be illegal as it would help you avoid companies involved in sopa.

It's the same as that firefox plugin that finds you unblocked links (slash plugin?). Because that plugin would allow you to circumvent the blocks imposed by SOPA, it's illegal.

the next logical step would be making the use of direct IP connection, circumventing DNS entirely, illegal as it's yet another means to bypass their SOPA blocks.

VPN services? Probably illegal.
Communication encryption programs? Possibly illegal because you could use them to circumvent blocks.

The end is coming and with blistering support of the US government.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I have an idea in order to make more people aware about SOPA :

What you can do is print out "supporting SOPA" stickers and discreetly stick them on the products of Sopa supporters that are on the shelves in supermarkets.

edit on 9-1-2012 by Monte-Carlo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Sweet. I've started using this immediately.

I drink like 5 cokes a day though
Makes me sad.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Thats a great idea!! This could be used for other good things, whenever some big companys try to f*** us in the ***, make an app, like this, that shows us which products to avoid

Actually, make an App. That tells us everything the company has done, for all products, so we know what we get if we buy it.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Newleague

Hmm . . . not a bad idea, at all! I agree that this should be open-source, for the sake of all. However, I do not have a smartphone within my reach as of current, but this is still THE app to get!

Long live the king,
Seraph

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jessejamesxx

You must be a gamer or a programmer! ;-) Happily, I've kicked the coke habit and drink mostly water (caffine, sugar and milk may be added to taste......)

Cool idea for an app though! Boo to SOPA!

These companies that are so opposed to all this piracy stuff are the same ones who gave you tools such as VHS recorders, tape recorders, dual vhs to copy tapes! They've made cd players which can record straight to cassette tapes, then convert to digital for usb storage etc! Car cd players with a built in RIP function!!?? Its a loopy world sometimes, I just dont get it. Curse whoever invented money!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Downloaded it....Then scanned just about everything I could get my hands on...So far nothing I scanned was SOPA related! Very Cool Indeed. Thanks for sharing this find

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

I do not use microsoft products and there are plenty of viable options.... you just need to tinker with the setups more which does require a strong learning curve.

DOWN WITH SOPA!!!!!!

Its possibly the stupidest thing the government has thought of since 9/11!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The developers should go one step further, in the application, and just after a scan/verify, have email address and online form ready for each offending merchant, then all customers can instantly send a message why they are boycotting that specific product.

Can you imagine the number of emails these companies would get in response to SOPA?
edit on 9-1-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Ha ha. I love these guys. I may just go buy an Android phone just because i know they stand for the peeps.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Best app ever.

Show the corporates that you can vote with your wallet too.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Downloading this ASAP...

Honestly this is just scratching the surface of what is possible...You could do so much more than just SOPA, but great start!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

open office.

This is a great app. Only wish I had one of those kinds of phones to do it.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Make sure u down this Extension for Google chrome too
chrome.google.com...
edit on 1/9/1212 by Hawkeyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tw0330
This is awesome. Now I need one for my computer too.

Just wish I could get a viable solution to replace Microsoft products.

Simple. Install Ubuntu.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
So happy, all the booze is ok, but sad that gerber isn't... oh well at least i can drink while the baby starves

(The last part is sarcasm for those that don't know me)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join