It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

have you experienced the 3rd world first hand?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
mods, move if need be, i didn't know where to put this.

i posted this thread earlier today,
what would happen if, people were cut off from benefits?,

and some of the comments really made me think. mostly the ones regarding wanting to starve people and how bad some have it here in the u.s. of a. the basic concept is, generally speaking, even those out of work still have so many options, benefits, food banks etc.
so, have you ever experienced the 3rd world, where there isn't a supermarket down the street, where people need to scrounge for food, where people accept this life as normal, where self sufficiency is needed or you do go hungry?
any of you ever notice how many of these people seem happier than most americans you may cross paths with?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

Nope but I am currently living in a growing to be a third world country...yes I am in the USA and this country will soon be third world, it is coming be prepared.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
i do agree that america is now spinning in an already flushed toilet bowl, just hasn't gone down the drain yet.
this is part of my point, some think we are already there, and they will be in for a big surprise when we hit the drain.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Lived in Burma for a while. It's really not as bad as you'd think if you get away from the ethnic fighting. Out in the country up northwest it's nice. The people there are more sincere, the food is excellent, and there is little fighting. In the city however, conditions are poor as hell. And on the Thai border, there is constant fighting.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
yes.. been to several.. people in western countries are clueless as to how good they have it at expense of those who live in third world countries..

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I've been to Detroit a few times... Does that count?

"It looks like it's been attacked. And it has, by the economy."
edit on 1/8/12 by Magnivea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

I have not, but I do believe the pessimism of many in first world countries is unwarranted when compared to third world, and also life in the past. People love to complain.

any of you ever notice how many of these people seem happier than most americans you may cross paths with?

upload.wikimedia.org...

First world is the happiest world.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I can tell you about something that I witnessed in the USA.

A woman who had 5 kids. Husband dead. 13 year old had spinal bifida, she was the OLDEST.
The rest were some really cute bright eyed, intelligent little cuties anyone would adore.

Ok, I got sent to help teach the 13 to deal with feminine issues because there were problems at school- she was very crippled and handicapped, keep in mind.

I go out and they live out from the city where it's cheaper to live, but of course there are no stores or anything that far out.

Someone has rented them a house for 200 a month that there is a huge hole in the kitchen floor that you can see all the way to the ground in front of the sink. They use cardboard to cover it and tape it down so the babies don't fall through.

Little furniture- I've seen much better in thrift stores. Few toys. Kids in diapers because it's so hot- it's Georgia so there's no electricity. House is in horrid, horrid repair- it really should be torn down. No air, no heat other than space heaters.

Only food in the house is boxed mac n cheese- mom gets food stamps but has no transportation, no way to go to the store. I am not a social worker. I was there as a health care professional- with a dad that's a MASON.

Hygeine issues mainly caused by lack of money for diapers and feminine products and fresh catheters. I could see this families problem was just enough help to survive, but not enough help to live with such a handicapped child and a mom with no skills, twin babies and no car.

Luckily all it took was a word and the Shriners stepped in and got the family a better place to live, that was close to a store, the child a better wheelchair, and medical supplies.

I've also had to go to America's low income housing and had a pregnant girl answer the door. I'd need to take her blood pressure and the only place to sit was on a box in the kitchen because there were NO chairs. There was a tv on a box in the living room and a table in the kitchen. I don't know what the story was there, other than she was pregnant with blood pressure issues- I don't want to know, I'm glad i only had to go once, that place scared the crap out of me just being there.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I don't care if you live in Detroit....sad about Detroit. You cannot compare anywhere in the U.S. to any third world countries. I have been to places that 99% of the people have Malaria because they either drink contaminated water or are bitten at night because they have no netting.

I have been to Hell Holes that have people living in the Stone Age and Women stoned to death because they were raped.

I NEVER again want to here a comparison of the U.S. to the Third World. Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
Nope but I am currently living in a growing to be a third world country...yes I am in the USA and this country will soon be third world, it is coming be prepared.

To be honest, your comment shows you just how far from reality you actually are and perhaps the point of the OP.

Now, I am not American, but have stayed for prolonged period three times in the States. I have also been to third world countries. Just thought I would get my experience in. I am British and like my American colleagues live in an advanced industrialised nation. I have never been abused by the police, paid a bribe, been without a TV or phone or been without free education. I have employment opportunities and can move freely around my country on fine roads, rail, ferry, plane.

Granted there are parts of the US which are pretty crap with poverty and want at every turn, but this is the same with any nation.

However, the US is far from a third world country. People who say the US is third world really need to get of their fat bums and (er) see the world. It is so easy to equate a poor American to a Third Worlder, but the difference between a poor American and a Third Worlder is stark.

My challenge to the armchair complainers is to travel. Obviously, as you Americans live in a (rapidly approaching) third world country, you won’t be able to get the airport because the road system is sh++t and the trains don’t work because the spare parts from China will never be sent because the person responsible for the spare parts nicked all the money and blah, blah, blah. Fortunately, that’s not an excuse is it? Go on. Educate yourself. It’s not that expensive to fly from New York to Nigeria and the local hotels would love to see you.

Regards

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

I know that was very heartfelt and whatnot, but I don't recall reading anywhere in T&C that I am required to give a damn about what you do or don't "ever want to 'here'" about. If you could go ahead and hold off with the parental scolding in the future, that would be great.

And yes, I have been to 3 or 4 countries considered "third world" though it does depend on what criteria you are going by.
edit on 1/8/12 by Magnivea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Yes I've experienced third world countries, and the people certainly didn't seem too happy, They fought over the rubbish we were throwing away, I'm talking real fisty cuffs over an empty plastic water botttle. One thing did strike me though and that was how lazy some of them were, maybe they had just given up on trying to succeed at anything and they were corrupt as anything, human life had no value either, not nice places.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Yes I've been to Canada several times.

top topics

join