It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking of leaving the UK for greener pastures and in need of advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
So i am thinking of leaving the UK and going to Australia for a while and I was wondering if anyone has done this or something similar and if they can give me some advice on what to expect and what i will need to do before i leave.

How much money should I save up before I leave? What should I do when I get there to get myself settled down?

I know this is quite an open question as the possibilities are endless but I need some ideas before i can know if this is possible.

I don't have any money currently and I have never travelled before but I am intent on saving up if I feel this is the way for me to go.

Many thanks

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by constant_thought

I'm afraid I don't know the answers to your questions, but I look forward to hearing what others suggest.
I will say, that I think you're doing the right thing.
As a lone mum, with a young child, It might seem as though I have few options, but I'm already preparing myself, and my little one, for life away from the UK.
I think jumping ship is the only way to go, before the UK sinks in it's own ****.

Good Luck!

edit on 6-1-2012 by Deplume because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
if you want to be a citizen then you'd need to either marry an aussie or get in by having a skill in something they want and applying, it took my cousin having to marry an aussie and also have a degree in a wanted area before she could become an official sheila so its quite hard to get in but dont let that stop you, could always contact either bruce,bruce or bruce at the australian embassy and see what the current requirements are

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
good luck to you.

Am I correct in thinking that a new law was drafted in Australia that any immigrant had to have $42,000 in savings to enter ?

For the OP, New Zealand may be a better country to try.
But any country in the southern hemisphere is fine.
The reason being if nukes are set off, there are more 'targets' of value to hit in the northern half of the planet.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

"could always contact either bruce,bruce or bruce at the australian embassy"

haha that made me laugh

No i do not wish to become a permanent resident, I think you are aloud to stay in Australia for up to a year (or so i've read) so that would probably be what I would do for the time being. I'm not necessarily leaving for good as I have alot of close friends and family here in the UK but some time out is more than needed atm

Hey, and maybe if I'm lucky I'll marry a nice "Sheila" anyway

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Got a link for you.

LINK

Migrant with permanent residence Main content If you migrated to Australia, have permanent residence, satisfy the residential requirements and are of good character you may be eligible for citizenship. All applicants, including children under 16 years of age must be permanent residents at the time of application and also at the time we make a decision on your application.

So if you got no criminal record you should be ok.
And have a skill with qualifications like plumber or something like that.

edit on 6/1/2012 by skuly because: do anyone ever read this

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by diddy1234

Do you know if the $40,000 is to become a permanent resident? I only plan on travelling and staying there for a year or so. I may have been a bit misleading in my title.

I'm not doing this to escape nukes or wars, i'm doing this for peace of mind

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by skuly

Thanks for the link

I'm giving it all a read through now

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Sorry no you wasn't misleading me.

I had miss-understood your original post.

Why not move permanently ?
I would seriously consider it if it were not for my excellent job.
edit on 6/1/2012 by diddy1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Take me with you!!!
It seems this sinking ship has limited floatation devices
But seriously good luck get outta europe n stay out n do yourself a favor

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by diddy1234

Oh aoky, thats good

I suppose the only reason is that its not something I can decide before I go, if after 6 months I decide that I want to stay then I will do whatever I can to achieve that. I have a lot of wonderful people in my life atm and I do not want to kid myself by saying that I can just get up and leave for good. I prefer to think of this as an escape for a while just to get things together, then I can see where the wind takes me after

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Insearchofthetruth1987
Take me with you!!!
It seems this sinking ship has limited floatation devices
But seriously good luck get outta europe n stay out n do yourself a favor

Sorry, can only take one piece of luggage! ;P

But yea, you may be right. Things aren't exactly looking brilliant for the UK, let alone the rest of Europe. Bleak times

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Hey constant_thought, you're definitely doing the right thing, I think about emigrating somewhere all the time but never actually get round to it

Just wanted to tell you about my big brother who, at 21, left his job, sold his car and jumped on a plane to Sydney on his own (14 years ago). He took a cab from the airport straight to Bondi Beach and booked into the nearest hostel. There he met a great gang of friends and he proceeded to spend the year travelling around, working here and there. After his 12 month visa was up, he reluctantly returned home and then arranged to go straight back. He eventually got his residency, then his citizenship. He now has a great job, wife, 3 kids and a 4 bedroom house with a swimming pool...

Dreams do come true

If I was you I'd save as much money as possible to allow you to not to have to work much (or at all!) on your year out.... And you can get great deals on round-the-world flights - I personally wouldn't want to spend an entire year in Australia (I've been a few times and I'm not that keen on the place myself although the standard of living is undoubtedly better than the UK) You could spend 6 months seeing all the great places en route and then spend the last 6 months Down Under... GOOD LUCK whatever you do, I wish you all the very best

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Me and my significant other were going to do it. Basically the permanent Visa takes a good couple years to get and cost a good few thousand. I think it's around 2 years.

The easiest way to do it is to be sponsored to work over there. So if you're in a trade like plumbing, IT, joinery etc, you stand a better chance, or again, if you have qualifications that are needed over there.

Companies over there have regulations on who they can sponsor too, and I'm sure that they have to try and fill vacancies first and if they can't fill them they can look at sponsoring people in.

If you're looking for a quick fix, you can go on a holiday visa which I !!think!! is 1 year, and a working visa of 2 years. You could go on a working visa for 2 years, apply for a new working visa, fly out to hong kong or somewhere close but out of the country and come back.

A longer quick fix could be to do the above but actively seek sponsorship. You must look at all the facts though like on the working visa if I remember correctly you need to work for 2 different companies but you can't work for more, or something like that.

Whatever you do, stay away from companies promising to get you a visa and saying they will process all of your applications for a fee.

Best thing you can do is research and contact the British Embassy over there. Don't just go on a whim.

If you do just go over there, always make sure you have money for a ticket home because it's not for everyone.

My words above are from memory so may not be up to date or actual fact so please do your research cause it's a long way from home.

top topics

join