It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does ATS keep logs on who gives who star's?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
would be cool if we could see page views per individual thread rather than data mining individual threads to see views.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Just being a bit paranoid I guess it would be a great way to make a profile about a person by looking at what people star and flag even if they don't post etc

I think about that myself and for probably the same reason though I do post enough for anyone to figure out what I think, without that, but it makes sense that there is a log kept, otherwise you could come back and star the same post a second time, which I know does not work.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
its interesting that even the mods on here dont know whats going on. NO we dont YES we do.

Looks like a case of the left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing. Which doesn't surprise me.

So to the OP yes they are tracking stars and flags and yes it can be used to draw a profile of what subjects you like. You call it paranoid i call it common sense. Too bad i dont have the ability to star and flag this but i do have the option for a thread like "lady gaga's bath tub filled with blood" or any of the other garbage posts that get washed up on these shores. I like the way you think.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
and yes it can be used to draw a profile of what subjects you like

As has been mentioned, that isn't happening, and never will happen.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
You are being purposely misinformed and don't make any mistake about that. There is a reason the great one is here. Notice the answers are general and not exact.

From the information you are providing, can you say that it is "impossible" for anyone to pull code and/or log files and go back through time and see what specific posts you have put stars on? I am not asking you "if" it is being done, I am asking directly, could it be done at all? "

Notice this question was never answered specifically, only stating that it is not happening and won't be. That should tell you enough. You won't be told that it is "impossible" for this to happen because it would plant seed of doubt and unravel the information already provided. If the system can tell that you have already placed a star, then it can certainly tell "everywhere" you have placed one at any point in time. If you are concerned about this then there is your answer since they won't give it to you directly. There is no reason to think otherwise by the semantics with words that are being used to lead the masses.

My question was point blank and never answered directly, even gave it some time to see if it would be.

It's easier to misinform by manipulating language and making an appearance rather than just answering the question directly. It avoids the possibility of walking into a trap for later down the road. Nobody here is going to directly tell you the truth which is, "yes, it could be done if someone really wanted to be done."

By providing an answer of "it will never happen" is just an absolute statement that couldn't possibly be addressed because of untold circumstance that the future could bring. Using words like "never" and "ever" are absolutes that clearly shouldn't be used if you just look through history.

Fact of the matter is if martial law was ever put in place, and your rights were completely stripped away, there is absolutely the fact that your easiest fingerprint of how you think would simply be by taking servers from those that told you "it will never happen" to be proven liars.

This whole place is one big fingerprint. There is a reason the known agents are protected here and you aren't. If ATS isn't going to stand up for you against this which is not a big secret, then what makes you think they are going to provide you with truth from false information?

No need to ban me, I am done

Best journeys my friends....

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awoken4Ever

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac26ac5b9771.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MrDesolate

reply to post by MrDesolate

Not much better than a Mod taken care of your one liner off topic posts and purposely leaving them up huh? The world is full of disappointments get use to it troll.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

It's easier to misinform by manipulating language and making an appearance rather than just answering the question directly.

Or...

Apparently it's easier to jump headlong into misinformed and utterly ridiculous conclusions just because I have been busy and thought this thread had been properly addressed.

For the obtuse conclusion jumpers among you -- well certainly IF someone were to obtain our database AND all our code AND spend time deciphering the database schema AND reverse engineering the multitude of PHP templates AND understanding which integers related to which data THEY MIGHT eventually be able to cross reference which member starred which post.

But seriously... to what end?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

On the question of stars, what relation does the tally of members stars in the left hand column, have with the number of stars that are actually given to members on posts, they are not necessarily the same.

edit on 11-1-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

CX

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
and yes it can be used to draw a profile of what subjects you like

As has been mentioned, that isn't happening, and never will happen.

I was expecting this subject to end up down this path at some point.

Creating a profile based on what threads you star wouldn't be accurate anyway. I've given stars for what i considered polite and respectful posts even if i totally disagreed with the poster.

A bit like the applause that mods give, i'll give stars for adding to the quality....and harmony of the site, regardless of whether i think the poster is right or wrong.

That's why i don't believe profiling in this way would be accurate. Hell, who here can say they haven't starred someone just for giving them a giggle?

CX.
edit on 11/1/13 by CX because: spelling was that of a drunken monkey

CX

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Now if i had a star for everytime i've heard that then seen the member return......even done it myself......my threads would look like something taken by the Hubble!!!

CX.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join