It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Google, Facebook, others 'nuke' Internet over SOPA?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing this. Based on other threads today, one in particular by SkepticOverlord, I would imagine ATS would be at the top of that list too, if it comes to that. This legislation appears irrevocably flawed and must be abandoned.

Now that the NDAA passed and has been signed into law, I would believe government capable of passing something like this too. I had dearly hoped this government would see and set a wiser, more noble path; one that values each and every one of its citizens.

So be it. Time to stop this nonsense once and for all. Pull the shades.

ETA: I wouldn't use the term nuke though, as the headline suggests. This is an effort to save the internet, not nuke it.

edit on 6-1-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
if anyone is curious (cause I was)
companies that officially (at present) support SOPA

not surprised by half of it - couple of of them I might have to avoid in the future

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Mega companies protesting the Government for once? Can it be?

That would be nice to think but this

Originally posted by Tephra
Sorry but AOL is no friend of internet freedom and privacy. I'm a bit suspicious to see them on this list.

These guys (not all but a lot) are doing this because SOPA will effect their profits, not because they care about your internet freedom.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

Originally posted by boncho
Mega companies protesting the Government for once? Can it be?

That would be nice to think but this

Originally posted by Tephra
Sorry but AOL is no friend of internet freedom and privacy. I'm a bit suspicious to see them on this list.

These guys (not all but a lot) are doing this because SOPA will effect their profits, not because they care about your internet freedom.

Well it makes since though..restrict our freedoms and then their profits go down the drain...its a selfish reason on their part for sure but in the fight against tyranny you sometimes have to side with unsavory characters.

If it was only an internet with information/data then they would have probably already shut it down, but since now everybody has a their grubby hands in the interwebs tryin to make a buck it'll be harder to remove then cancer.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Figures. The piece of bovine excrement that introduced SOPA is the same dirtbag that's blocking the bill to take marijuana off of of the controlled substances list. That would allow states to determine their own marijuana policy. Despite petitions, mounds of evidence, doctors testimonials, etc he's performing the DC equivalent of sticking his fingers in his ears. You can translate his quote below as "I don't agree with it so it isn't going to happen." The bill must pass a committee *he* chairs.

stopthedrugwar.org...

Barney Frank and Ron Paul's historic bill to end federal marijuana prohibition is generating a lot of excitement around the country, but in Washington D.C., it's already becoming another reminder of the arrogant drug war politics that have long obstructed the path to reform. Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX) was quick to announce his plans to prevent this important debate from ever taking place: The bill appears doomed on arrival, according to the Associated Press, which reported that House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith said his panel, which the proposed law is required to venture through, would not even consider it. "Marijuana use and distribution is prohibited under federal law because it has a high potential for abuse and does not have an accepted medical use in the U.S.," said Smith, who like Paul is a Texas Republican. "The Food and Drug Administration has not approved smoked marijuana for any condition or disease."

Yep. Same P.O.S.

tech.pnosker.com... e/

SOPA, introduced by Representative Lamar Smith (R-TX), is a law intended to prevent the swarm of online piracy by punishing web companies that host unauthorized and unlicensed copyrighted content.

For the record I have a medical marijuana patient in my family and I have observed alleviation of fibromyalgia symptoms with my own eyes. That right there is proof of the government's 100 year old lie, coming from my own little humble corner of the world.
edit on 8-1-2012 by netwarrior because: forgot to mention a tidbit

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

look at it closer.

Main Search Engines and sources of communication and information and flow of information all " go offline " and the largest source to transfer online money...( for businesses and such ).....

Really ?

They do this and they can't do what they want and nobody can communicate it massively to eachother fast enough.

The news probably won't give you the real information so people will have no way of knowing the truth during and incident or whatever.

Too much control is never a good thing.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Could companies like AOL, Google and any other tech giant whose in protest actually develop a SOPA proof internet? Could a partnership with Anonymous be in the future as Anon is testing and reading #OperationTyler that will be impregnable to censorship? Could this be what's happening!

The SCUM are shooting themselves in the foot as payment for services in the Monarch Programs as they offer those who work for them free mp3's and other media for life!
edit on 8-1-2012 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever
if anyone is curious (cause I was)
companies that officially (at present) support SOPA

not surprised by half of it - couple of of them I might have to avoid in the future

No surprise there. Banking Interests, Media Industry interests, Music Industry interests. This thing is all about the money. Everyone wants to be paid, whether it's good for freedom of speech or the internet is of no concern, people want more money.

The companies against it are concerned it will effect their revenue flow and the companies supporting it are concerned by the same issue. Meanwhile we the users will be the losers.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Does this mean I get to use Lycos again?
Might be a good opportunity for Bing if Google and Yahoo both go down.

Tragic that those companies couldn't just stay open and using that money, bribe, I mean lobby the government to get what they want.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Google tends to be a weird company though. Considering the ramifications over decades if it passes, a couple days would be a drop in the bucket.

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by WWJFKD

Google, facebook, Ebay, the list goes on, but no, none of them can "nuke" the internet, but in areas services by google internet providers, yup, black out. If the list remains with these companies it will surely rock the boat, but unless they get some companies involved that can actually take the network down, it won't be a "nuclear" event.

It's called a metaphor. I suppose if you want to get technical... you could look at the web traffic those companies are responsible for and compare it to the surface area destroyed after a nuke blast....I think those companies compose a larger percent of the pie.

edit on 8-1-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
rumor has it that Reddit has confirmed they will "blackout" on the 18th from 8am to 8pm EST

I did a search but I didn't look too hard - maybe someone want to confirm and post in news? I don't want to post a new thread, I just wanted to bring it to people's attention since I didn't see it up already.

<< 1   >>

join