It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Mirror

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Anyone else watch this? For those who haven't it is a series of cautionary tales about the dark side of modern technology. I got a real twilight zone feel from it which was interesting.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Watched the first 3 episodes last night...Amazing!

Scary, cautionary and most likely a look at things to come IMO.

I will be watching for the next few episodes to see where it goes. 1st episode was my fav BTW.

Peace

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

Do you have any links to this? Any description and or comment as to what you find worrisome? It is rather difficult to add content when we have nothing to go on.

BTW, if this is just a US thing, not everyone lives in the US.
edit on 12/21/2011 by pstrron because: Add content

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by pstrron
reply to post by FEDec

Do you have any links to this? Any description and or comment as to what you find worrisome? It is rather difficult to add content when we have nothing to go on.

BTW, if this is just a US thing, not everyone lives in the US.
edit on 12/21/2011 by pstrron because: Add content

This is actually British and not US for a change.

Airs on: Channel 4, Sundays at 9:00 PM (60 min.) | Premiered: December 4, 2011

Over the last ten years, technology has transformed almost every aspect of our lives before we've had time to stop and question it. In every home; on every desk; in every palm - a plasma screen; a monitor; a smartphone - a black mirror of our 21st Century existence. Black Mirror is a hybrid of The Twilight Zone and Tales of the Unexpected which taps into our contemporary unease about our modern world. Charlie Brooker offers three suspenseful, satirical tales with a techno-paranoia bent - ‘what if' stories: some comic, some shocking.

Very creative and intriguing.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

You made it sound very interesting and peaked my interest so I had a look on YouTube to see if it was available. Once again YouTube has the goods!

Watching it now.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Thanks for the insight, and yes I would say that these "Black Mirrors" have had quite an impact. Though I am not able to view the programs, the tech can really be described as Twilight Zone in many ways. Not to mention Orwellian in how they can be used to listen and even view what people are doing without their knowledge. I remember the time when even having a TV was a big deal and there was no such thing as a color TV.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
My personal favorite was episode three. The second felt a little slow to me but otherwise I liked it. It was basically network for the reality show age.

What I liked about the show in general was that it assumed that people are mainly good. It was technology that corrupted them.

*SPOILERS*
--------------------------------------------------
I've seen some debate online about the reason for *whats-his-face* the artist guy's suicide. Nothing left to do? In an era where everything has been done before he found there was nothing left? Your thoughts?
--------------------------------------------------

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

reply to post by FEDec

You might be surprised to learn that not all places on this planet have access to all the Internets contents. Many areas are blocked, YouTube, Facebook, Tweeter, all blogs and even search engines such as Google and Yahoo are censored. I happen to live in one of those areas. So thank you for your kind remarks.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by pstrron
reply to post by jude11

Though I am not able to view the programs,

Is youtube blocked for you or something? Cause I can play the vids that Jude posted.

the tech can really be described as Twilight Zone in many ways.

I was actually describing the show as Twilight Zone-esque. It features a message in each episode and shows us a situation which may come to pass but also which reflects something which exists now.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

You might be surprised to learn that not all places on this planet have access to all the Internets contents. Many areas are blocked, YouTube, Facebook, Tweeter, all blogs and even search engines such as Google and Yahoo are censored. I happen to live in one of those areas. So thank you for your kind remarks.

Where are you living Iran? China? Can't you use a proxy?

If all those sites are blocked anyway why even bother coming in to ask for links? Felt like being difficult today?

Edit: You sure seem to post a lot about American political subjects for a Non-American. Also from the perspective of an American. Is this some type of new fiction I've never heard of or are you just lying cause you can't work youtube?
edit on 22-12-2011 by FEDec because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

PR China to be exact and even proxies are blocked. That was not always the case however but those days are gone. As for YouTube, it has been blocked for years here and even ATS can be at times. So I can only view content if it is posted within the thread and does not have its source as YouTube, Facebook, Tweeter any blog and at times BBC, CNN, Google, Yahoo and other areas. Several of the photo posting sites are blocked like Photobucket and Pica from time to time. They even blocked Webshots and all it has is good wallpapers for your computer.

In regards to my posts regarding the US, I'm an expat.
edit on 12/22/2011 by pstrron because: Add content

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

So indeed you just felt like being difficult today and asked for a link which even when provided would not be accessible. You seem to be quite a confused person, complaining about the US owing china more money while simultaneously living and working there. Complaining about no links being provided while not being able to view them anyway. All the while wearing a mask of self righteousness like you were born in a country with massive censorship instead of living there by choice.

All the cautionary tales in the world won't help you.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

So indeed you just felt like being difficult today and asked for a link which even when provided would not be accessible.

Not being difficult at all, I merely ask for links as I am sure there would be others that would have liked some.

You seem to be quite a confused person, complaining about the US owing china more money while simultaneously living and working there.

Confused, hardly, plus you have no idea why I'm here. With the US allowing such a trade imbalance causing massive debt has nothing to do with your topic nor any form of confusion upon my part.

Complaining about no links being provided while not being able to view them anyway.

Please refer to the previous regarding links. I was not complaining, only pointing out a fact that you failed to provide links to a source for your thread. Not to mention a three sentence introduction for your topic without any background for a formal discussion. This should have solicited a message from a Mod regarding the posting of threads without links to a source, background and your opinions for the discussion.

wearing a mask of self righteousness like you were born in a country with massive censorship instead of living there by choice.

Actually I was, it is called the United States of America. It appears that you are quite young and naive but thank you just the same for your kind words and opinions.

All in all it was jude11 that was kind enough to provide information and content regarding the program Black Mirror. Which would have been equally kind of you rather than all the drama you have put forth my direction.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

With the US allowing such a trade imbalance causing massive debt

Which you are benefiting from.

Please refer to the previous regarding links. I was not complaining, only pointing out a fact that you failed to provide links to a source for your thread.

Sources are necessary only when the information in question needs to be backed up by fact. This show exists. The existence of the show was not in question what was is the general opinion of the show. There are many threads on this board which discuss various TV shows without linking to them. It is assumed by any rational person that if you have seen the show you can comment if not you can find it for yourself. You came in asking for links not for others but tailored to your own specific needs which you later admitted were unfulfillable. Im not here to teach you how to use the internet.

Actually I was, it is called the United States of America.

Yeah clearly you suffered under a highly repressive regime. Which has allowed you to travel to other countries. Oh poor you. It's clear you are old and jaded.
edit on 22-12-2011 by FEDec because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Well ep2 of season 2 was.... Interesting...

new topics

top topics

join