It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the SOPA passes, won't a lot of information be lost?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Like the title asks, won't it? More importantly, what will you do without it?

Over the years the internet has because a vast repertoire of information that is impossible for one person to go through. It would be such a shame for it to disappear overnight, or at least quarantined from view of the pesky nobodies. Of course it wouldn't all disappear, but I guarantee the selection you'll be given will be an impoverished knowledge base compared to what it once was. A generation of people could go without knowledge of how they got to where they are, and without it, their recollection would be muddied by propaganda, fear, and apathy. This world is becoming more of a possibility by the day. Even if it doesn't get passed in January, it's not like the issue is going to go away. It's just a matter of time...

There's a lot of information on the internet, but what would be worth saving? Videos of politicians on their word? General education? PDFs of "How to DIY" and manuals? Videos and/or documents that might point the finger at perpetrators of conspiracy? Audio recordings of speakers? Webpages?

All of these things could potentially be lost to the general public, and I've begun to feel an urgency about things that I would miss had my access to them had become severed. I've never really tried archive anything I came across, but I think I'm going to start to while I still have the opportunity.

Has anyone else felt this way?

What is important to save so that we don't forget?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

yeah man.....it almost makes you sad.....nothing we have learned or will learn can endure... not as richly as it is now.....how do you choose what to save.....how do you "save it" carve it onto rock....stacks of paper.....write to disk and pray for power no matter what....
edit on 21-12-2011 by newyorkee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by newyorkee
reply to post by satron

yeah man.....it almost makes you sad.....nothing we have learned or will learn can endure... not as richly as it is now.....how do you choose what to save.....how do you "save it" carve it onto rock....stacks of paper.....write to disk and pray for power no matter what....

You could write them to disk. I'm not talking about a Mad Max world, I'm talking about now, where people still have PCs. Even if most peoples wind up not working for some reason, there will still be some with one that does work.

You chose what to save, of course you couldn't bring it all, but what do you think is worth keeping?

edit on 21-12-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

Ham radio based internet. It's already somewhat available. The computers and data would still exist, it's a question of making it publicly available. Of course the @sshats in political circles will invoke new laws to protect themselves and their funding organs, all those corporate donators. But it would hopefully take some time. The internet from it's early forms in the late 70's has been around for over 30 years so at least there is some catch-up time. You just have to make internet 2.0 a private network, everybody has to be a member of the club and it should be free. I'd be willing to help design the initial communications, networking system and interfaces ;-)

There is another technology I would rather use, but it's not on the market yet.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Lets all say BAAAAAA, and wag our tails. What do you do when evil commiits treason and attempts to control and regress people. Allow it, or millions toss them. I'm right up there for the tossing. Not for ever allowing a 2 year old pyschopath to make me stand under them.

Don't bemoan anything, Get really really mad!!!!!

edit on 21-12-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Lets all say BAAAAAA, and wag our tails. What do you do when evil commiits treason and attempts to control and regress people. Allow it, or millions toss them. I'm right up there for the tossing. Not for ever allowing a 2 year old pyschopath to make me stand under them.

Don't bemoan anything, Get really really mad!!!!!

edit on 21-12-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

You're right, we need to get extremely mad, and that time is coming.

But before we go into our blind rage, isn't there some information you'd like to back up that you feel is important? I don't know how you feel about Ron Paul, but if this bill was enacted before the primary, it would have been extremely hard for him to defend against attacks against him, such as the racist angle without media that point to the opposite being true. Now wouldn't have that been important information to have? Even if you don't like Ron Paul, think of the candidate you're behind? What a travesty to be shoved to the side over something that is taken out of context or is completely false, without the ability to point to the error in logic with information that exonerates them.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
maybe ark projects should be started as a sort of "apocalypse stress reliever"...do something constructive with all that paranoia

It would be fun at any rate...and if nothing happens it would be an interesting and useful database for the future..
It would also be good as redundant back up or "start up kits" for private use in censored areas.....]

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I didn't know how to do drywall, but I did learn to do it after I kicked a hole in my wall. Never would have figured it out without that "How to" I found. Maybe I should look for it to see if I still have it. Also, I found a video not too long ago that showed me how to clean and replace my EGR valve on my car. Saved me a lot of money. Maybe I should look into some more of those videos.

Small things, I know, but walkthroughs are things people take for granted.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
My understanding is that if it passes and you have a family web site that features a video of your child's birthday party in which "Happy Birthday" is sung the government can shut you down for copy right infringement.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
If the SOPA passes, won't a lot of information be lost?

TPTB of every epoch has burned books.

Why should eBooks be any different?

The educated are a threat to the powerful.

new topics

top topics

join