It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the First Time, Predator Drones Participate in Civilian Arrests on U.S. Soil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

For the First Time, Predator Drones Participate in Civilian Arrests on U.S. Soil

A somewhat strange story emerged yesterday involving an extremist antigovernment group, a North Dakota sheriff’s office, and six missing cows, but there’s a much larger story behind this brief legal tangle between local law enforcement and the Brossart family of Nelson Country. When Alex, Thomas and Jacob Brossart were arrested on their farm back in June after allegedly chasing the local Sheriff off their property with rifles, they became the first known U.S. citizens to be arrested on American soil with the help of a Predator drone, Stars and Stripes reports.

They will not, however, be the last. Most U.S. citizens are aware that US. Customs and Border Protection owns and operates a handful of aerial drones along the nation’s northern and southern borders (eight Predators to be exact), but when Congress authorized the use of drones along the borders in 2005 it was thought that they would be used strictly to curb illegal immigration and to detect smuggling routes.

But a provision allowing for “interior law enforcement support” is being given fairly liberal interpretation by both the Customs and Border Protection crews that operate the drones and local law enforcement that sometimes wants to borrow CBP’s aerial assets. Local police in North Dakota say they’ve called upon the two Predators operating out of Grand Forks Air Force Base at least two dozen times since June.

A Customs and Border Protection Predator B (or MQ-9 Reaper)

I searched for this story and was only able to find links to threads referencing the Iraqi downed drone and a few other drone threads but saw no mention of this particular gem of a story so I'll say the inevitable, if it is already posted....etc etc.

With that, It begins. The irony here is that they used military drones to catch cattle rustlers. However, as the article states "They will not, however, be the last". Does this mean we should update the current national "ghetto bird" from the helicopter to a military drone? Seemingly, one will be coming to a city near you soon.

POPSCI Source Article
edit on 12/12/2011 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This is quite scary.

Think about what the government can do with this. And everything from NDAA to this.....I say we've been set up. Next people they snatch up will be OWS supporters and occupiers.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I think they should, I've always thought the money spent on war and terror on the other side of the world would be better spent cleaning the mess here in America. Thanks for sharing!

It's not like there not already watching you, neither me or you can control what they're used for they might as well be finding murderers, rapist and drug dealers here in American instead of watching the same caves everyday, if were paying for it in taxes
edit on 12-12-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54
I think they should, I've always thought the money spent on war and terror on the other side of the world would be better spent cleaning the mess here in America. Thanks for sharing!

you wish the Gov was doing something right. lulz

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
UberL33t , great post , this has been on other sites since yesterday , like you say nothing else to be found at the moment. This is just the start , the floodgates are now open , expect a glut of stories and posts in the coming months regarding drones, must be bloody frightening to have these things in the sky above knowing what they are capable of in civilian air space

Great post all the same.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Very interesting story, thanks for sharing this. Wonder why the governmnet waisted so much money on getting these obviously high risk targets, LOL, Oh thats right, its the Government, there just doing what they do best, waste waste waste

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Thats just great, I wonder how difficult it would be to build your own MANPADS. Great for nosy drones and mexican military aircraft violating airspace.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I think this is just another stage in the advancement of law enforcement. The worry needs to come when they arm them with lethal and even non-lethal weaponry. I don't think we're too far from that but as long as the human controlling it and/or their superiors are held accountable for their actions when using this equipment then this could be a good tool.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

With that, It begins.

We have been using planes and helicopters forever. Why freak out over drones? I would think they are cheaper to operate. I've been pulled over after a plane tagged me speeding. I've seen tons of footage of police helicopters. I really don't get the problem here.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I concur..."it begins" was simply referencing the "first time" portion was not meant to appear fear mongerish. I believe this tool would be quite versatile, especially if an agency didn't have to budget for aircraft fuel and maintenance costs. These drones would seemingly be much more inexpensive to operate.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

With that, It begins.

We have been using planes and helicopters forever. Why freak out over drones? I would think they are cheaper to operate. I've been pulled over after a plane tagged me speeding. I've seen tons of footage of police helicopters. I really don't get the problem here.

Really? Do you really need to ask? When did this conspiracy web forum fall to the sheeple?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
No what is the funny part they talk of the family being
anti- government separatists (which really is most of us who are not pleased with the government )
had weapons ( what american doesn't)
repeatedly called the residence a compond ( a house and two rvs doesn't fit my idea of compound)
the matriarch of the clan susan brossart ( which means the mother and clan means 8 children)
The way the article makes them out to be anti government militants instead of average montana family failing to report the stray livestock hmmmm seems a bit like the fema camps will be full by summer hahahha

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I am surprised people are supporting this here. These are the tools a police state need, not a civilized nation. If you can't see down the road we are headed in, I suggest taken a look back through history.

Yet another appropriate on topic Tech song...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Do you really need to ask?

Yes I do. Perhaps you could give me an answer instead of calling me a 'sheeple'. How is a drone different than a helicopter or plane? Do you get super upset when you see a police helicopter?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Yes I do. Perhaps you could give me an answer instead of calling me a 'sheeple'. How is a drone different than a helicopter or plane? Do you get super upset when you see a police helicopter?

I'll give you my answer.

First off, drones are just another thing which depersonalizes the government from the people, that is just one simple reason helicopters are less creepy. Second, I do not want to encourage further surveillance of US citizens, which is all this can lead to. Third, there is no need for this crap, buy crap we don't need is an American illness... Also, I do not trust our government with that much power.

top topics

join