It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Camping vs Defending & Tactical Positioning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

One of the biggest confusions about gaming is the difference between camping and defending, as well as tactical rushing.

The gaming community has unconsciously melded some of these concepts together, and the confusion often affects people's play-style. Where more often than not, they are constantly exposing themselves to danger rather than assessing and properly approaching circumstances with clear and carefully applied judgement.
This mentality inherently stunts the potential skill of many players who do not want to adopt the label of 'camper'.

So to clarify things, my post will help define the line that separates these concepts. I so happen to have made a video that shows two members of a professional team camping in the first few rounds, and what I did at the time to counter their play-style.

If you notice in the video, both sides are virtually 'camping' in accordance it's ambiguous definition. The question then that must be answered is: which side is doing thing's that contributes to the objective? The answer to that question will make more sense of once you've had a better grasp of the game-types mechanics.

But there are some generalizations that separate the two from each other:

CAMPING:
- Motivated by selfish desire
- Normally used to substitute the lack of fundamentals
- Alternatively used to harass others and disrupt the flow of the game
- Exploits high yield locations that don't pertain to the objects for the purpose of...
a) extending longevity
b) increasing their kill ratios
...at the expense of the optimizing a teams potential

TACTICAL POSITIONING
- Calculated positioning that allows cover for ones self & others
- Enables the player to adapt to a dynamic environment
- Contributes to the teams map control & flow of the game
- Properly contains high yield positions in contribution to the objective
- Enables greater manipulation to the map & game-types mechanics
- Creates opportunities for ones self & others

The role of defense demands players to contribute to the maps power positions much like chess. Without map control, there is only chaos to take over. Camping does nothing to tame the chaos. It only fuels it as it disrupts the flow of the game, and it rely mostly on luck more than anything.

In short, tactical positioning serves a higher purpose. It is not selfish, and ultimately is a calculated risk that requires faith in ones team mates at a given circumstance. Ultimately, it is one of the founding concepts that drive competitive game-play and it certainly defines team-work in ways camping never will.

I hope that the next time you are killed by someone who is taking advantage of power positions, you will think: that's a smart move!, rather than crying foul and calling that person a camper. If you do so happen to find yourself crying foul, just know that there's a reason why running out in the open doesn't work.

Just like chess, consider yourself an important piece. Instead of 'rushing' indiscriminately, use your positions wisely and rush to cover points and power positions instead of rushing to exposed areas.

Remember the if you rush into enemy territory, your fundamentals better be at it's fullest. Because if there's any one else has a better grasp of it, they will be sure to stop you and you will pay the price.

Thank you all for your time.
~Gambit VII

If your playing MW3 and you haven't joined the Above_Top_Secret group in the free/paid version of the COD Elite services, do so now at elite.callofduty.com and go to groups and type: Above_Top_Secret to share, compare, and meet with others who also visit this website.

edit on 8-12-2011 by GambitVII because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by GambitVII

I don't mean to steal his thunder, but Mr. Mask has created a great song about just this topic...

Mr. Mask - Camper Song

I agree with Mr. Mask

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

We've played in the same team before so I don't mind. It only helps separate define the fundamental differences between both concepts much more clearly.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I occasionally camp in deathmatch. Its hilarious. Especially when I get hate mail from the opposing team because they lost.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by wWizard

Unfortunately, 'camping' even without controling power positions is one the most effective ways to play team deathmatch.

Thats also one of the major reason competitive organizations disprove of the game-type. (unless it's halo because the mechanics work differently)

I personally hate TDM, no matter how many straight wins or how high my k/d gets from playing it. It is full of random variables and it encourages extremely-passive play styles when using the game-types mechanics at it's highest potential.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I'm typically a run-and-gun type of player but I will sit back in a nice spot with a sniper rifle every once in a while. The thermal scope is crucial in MW3.

I get hate mail from the other team no matter what I'm doing. I'm not even that good. I think I have like a 1.2 KD or something. I am good at objectives and search though.

I appreciated your definitions above and the presentation. I S&F'd the thread.

I will add the abovetopsecret group in Elite tonight too.

Cheers!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Who cares what pub players think? I used to play counter strike for money and when you're playing in an actual team with voice comms you're doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing at every minute, there is no such thing as "camping", there is only performing your objective whether that's holding a choke point, guarding the bomb, collecting the bomb, covering while your team pushes, etc. etc.

If your team is pushing a site and you're on the other side of the map "camping" behind a barrel you'll either get killed when the other team rotates or be too far from the action to be of any real use.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by posthuman

If you actually read it, I said exactly what you said without being angry about anything

Except for one thing, camping does exist. You said it yourself in the second paragraph as supported from the info from your first. Camping is when your taking positions that don't contribute to the team/objective.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Yeah fair, but doesn't that make the thread kind of arbitrary? Yeah there is a distinction between holding and camping but pub servers are always full of morons who would rather sit in hiding and rack up one or two kills than get killed over and over for a few weeks until they work out how to play the game.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

edit on 8-12-2011 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa
nothing makes a camper happier than hatemail.
if its in the game, then use it.

What do you mean? Camping is totally counter-intuitive in just about any objective based shooter.. Nothing should make a camper happier than actually playing the game, being in the fray, using their critical thinking skills to respond successfully to whatever situation presents itself. No camper is ever sitting on 40 frags for 2 deaths at the end of a round (unless you're a real dope recon in bf3 or something).

I don't hate campers I just check my corners and win every time, they are fodder.

Namaste.
edit on 8-12-2011 by posthuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
i love it when i get called a camper, just means the enemy was too stupid to avoid my section of the map.
when i "camp" i don't stay in a little corner like most, i kinda camp on the move going in circles.
when the enemy insults you so, it just means you kicked thier butts more than they're used to.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by posthuman
I don't hate campers I just check my corners and win every time, they are fodder.

Yeah, I don't play much but I love to watch my son eat these guys up and spit them out. It's hilarious watching him throw a flash bang into a room then entering and cleaning up 2 guys camping in a corner. He gets taken out by them some times but generally it's not a good game plan. Course mostly he plays demolition so camping is a bad option if you're wanting to help.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
It is really simple, just don't play Team Deathmatch.

If you are playing a game like Domination then I think it's smart to have a team mate defending a flag. Usually if I am playing in a team with friends. I'll go capture a flag and my will defend what we have. I don't see that as camping at all.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I dont mind campers, most players dont clear rooms when they enter them. Scan door at all possible angles to make sure no one is their, when you walk in cover those area's you could not see when standing out side the door way. Most of the time campers are in small spaces like rooms, they are scared and it reminds them of their mother whom. Before taking a step out side scan at all possible angles, think of all the positions a camper could be and cover those areas the best you can while running for your next cover. Over all take your time and be aware, most players want to rush in, kill, die and do it all again, cause they think it will get them the most kills. When playing FPS games I like to keep survival in mind. Make the game about surviving. You may not get the most kills at first but once you start getting comfortable and relaxed then nothing will stand in your way.

You run, turn a corner, see a guy with his gun pointed right at you, in split second thought you think # THIS im playing for survival, then jump back around the corner. Access the situation and go for the most surprising option.

new topics

top topics

join