It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Interesting Light Show on Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Early this year, as I was doing some research with Google Mars. I stumbled on to something that I thought was incredible, for what it was, where it was. It isn’t somethig that is technically deep, nor, is it related to anything alien. But, when I saw it, I was just a little amazed.

I thought that some of you might enjoy this feature also, so, I am going to post it for you, with the general steps to “redeem your ticket to the show”!

First, before you start, make sure you know how to put your display into “negative display”, because the “show” is much better in negative.

1. Go to google Mars.

2. In the “Fly To” box, put in coordinates 89.5N 180E and hit the go to button to the right.

3. Go to “negative display”.

4. You should see a small round area just above the coordinate marker, on the “ice” - double click to start the “show”.

5. Continue double clicking the “center spot” of the “show”, and it changes the “show” each time, and gets larger.

6. You can click on the show/display anytime, and it will halt.

7. You can use the Google +/- buttons to take the show forward/+, or backward/- to the beginning, and start over.

I sincerely hope that you enjoy this simple, and not so serious, “Mars anomaly”! Actually, the “show” happens, because this is the place where all of the pieces of the Google Mars “puzzle” come together at one point, at the north pole. Maybe when you see it, you too will know why I was so surprised, when I first saw it, right there on Mars!!!

P.S. - No, I don't post Mars anomalies on the basis of Google Mars, just light shows!

edit on 2-12-2011 by rdunk because: edit

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Can you post a pic for those of us at work?
Thanks.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Can you post a pic for those of us at work?
Thanks.

You get on this site from work? I'm afraid to, lol.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I tried to get a screenshot for this yesterday, and it "washed out[. I will try again later, as I have to leave now.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I'm very curious about this light show but i'm struggling to find what you mean.

When you say Google Mars, do you mean Google Earth Mars or just Google Mars?

I'm not familiar with either but I did go check out Google Mars but couldn't find anything....

Am I doing something wrong? Maybe, but I think it's on Google Earth and I can't be bothered to download it!

edit on 2-12-2011 by SilentE because: typo

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
It's nothing but a glitch.
Just went there and had a look, it's the same effect at the poles in Google Earth.

BTW, Google Moon really sucks, nothing but very low resolution pictures.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Actually, when you do a screenshot on negative screen, to see it, one would have to be on negative screen.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentE
I'm very curious about this light show but i'm struggling to find what you mean.

When you say Google Mars, do you mean Google Earth Mars or just Google Mars?

I'm not familiar with either but I did go check out Google Mars but couldn't find anything....

Am I doing something wrong? Maybe, but I think it's on Google Earth and I can't be bothered to download it!

edit on 2-12-2011 by SilentE because: typo

Hi SilentE! It is on Google Mars, which is a selection in Google Earth. If you have a later Google Earth, the tool bar at the top has a Saturn type planet. Click on that to select Mars/Moon/Earth/Sky. Clicl on "Mars" and follow my directions.

Good luck!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
So there is no light show on Mars its on Google Mars , and its a glitch .... man this place gets weirder

edit on 2-12-2011 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
You understand that Google earth/sky/moon/and Mars are not live but digitally stitched together years worth of images that can host many data gaps and or stitching anomalies?

If you want to see a real light show, and you have access to a really nice telescope, NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center can assist you in the best projected times to observe lunar impact light shows. For example; Windows Media Player file. You might even catch a passing jetliner complete with lens flare!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenstorm
Just went there and had a look, it's the same effect at the poles in Google Earth.

.....................................................................................................................
Hey Regenstorm, yes, it is a typical happening for a put-together globe situation. It will work on the moon also. I know that will now, but when it first happened, it was a new thing for me. In any case, as I said in the OP, nothing technical, and just a simple little light show.

Thanks for your comments. BTW, Google Mars sucks too, relative to its stitched together photos, but, if you make the "Spacecraft Imagery" selection, you also get direct links to the Mars Orbiter Camera pics, for any area you are looking at. So, that makes using Google Mars a much better tool, to get to the real NASA photos (howbeit possibly tampered with)

Again, thanks!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
So there is no light show on Mars its on Google Mars , and its a glitch .... man this place gets weirder

..............................................................................................................................
Hi gortex - Nope, I wouldn't call it a "glitch - apparently it is just something that happens as a result of the photo/software dynamics in putting the globes together. (anything technical in this regard is beyond me)

I used the term "light show" to give a little description of what happens when one follows my instructions.
This was intended to be a fun thing for everyone, rather than for "furtherance of learning"

A thing for some to enjoy!!

edit on 2-12-2011 by rdunk because: delete pic

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by rdunk

post by rdunk
This was intended to be a fun thing for everyone

Hence the comical picture

This still has to be one of the strangest threads for a while though

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

That's because they don't want you to see the moonbases and monoliths too clearly.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
wowzer, i cannot belive it, is this proof of an colony on mars, or a glitch with google?
should we drink our kool aid now or submit?
i planted a geranium in my garden, but this does not show on google earth can we declare war?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by charlie77
wowzer, i cannot belive it, is this proof of an colony on mars, or a glitch with google?
should we drink our kool aid now or submit?
i planted a geranium in my garden, but this does not show on google earth can we declare war?

Hey charlie, I am glad you were able to find and see it. When I first found it, I said wow too, and I didn't know why it was there. A few days afterwards, i did find out what it was, and what causes it.

I thought then, and still do, that it is just pretty neat to see a feature like this, on the "top of Mars".

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Just went there and had a look, it's the same effect at the poles in Google Earth. BTW, Google Moon really sucks, nothing but very low resolution pictures.

That's what I've been trying to drum in since the last of the dinosaurs died, but this Google crap keeps popping up at regular intervals. People go bonkers on seeing 'buildings' etc on the Moon/Mars which in reality are nothing but glitches which are extremely commonplace on GoogleEarth/Moon.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrionHunterX

Just went there and had a look, it's the same effect at the poles in Google Earth. BTW, Google Moon really sucks, nothing but very low resolution pictures.

That's what I've been trying to drum in since the last of the dinosaurs died, but this Google crap keeps popping up at regular intervals. People go bonkers on seeing 'buildings' etc on the Moon/Mars which in reality are nothing but glitches which are
extremely commonplace on GoogleEarth/Moon.

.................................................................................................................................

OrionHunter, I think you (and maybe others) have misunderstood this OP. It wasn't posted as an "anomaly! It was simply posted to give some of you a break from all of the "deep stuff", as something to go to and have a little fun with, at the Google Mars north pole coordinates (on negative screen). That was it, and nothing else.

At least a few have gotten to see the "light show" anyway!!

new topics

top topics

active topics

join