It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please list your favourite Apps, for phones, tablets, etc. Why do you like them?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I don't know much about them yet but I expect I will soon. Kids are getting tablets for Christmas and I expect some folk I know will be showing of their new laptops or phones as well.

So what about these applications or apps? Are there some you can't live without because they're so helpful? What are the addictive fun ones, and which ones are not even worth a look at? Can you even get apps for sat navs and cameras?

I'd be grateful for some hands on information from folk who actually use these new-fangled things.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

I like my computer and that’s about it. Hate what phones have become and I think tablets are the most pointless piece of junk ever; especially the ipad because people who buy it would more then likely already have an iphone so all they did was get something a little bigger.
Technology doesn’t need to be over the top, it just needs to do its job; and this stuff really doesn’t serve much purpose but to slow your brain.
Anyway, rant over.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
several good ones to choose..
For web browsing - Dolphin browser or Skyfire browser.

Games - not sure what type you like but Galaxy on fire 2 valkyrie is good.

Sid meyers civilisation 5 also a good game.

Take a look on the google android shop
or have a look at mobiles24.com and mobile9.com both have lots of good free stuff on them..

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
For Android the following are very good :-

ES file explorer - use it to look for local files but supports lan file copying / browsing as well.
Mobo player - media player with extra codecs for audio video
connect bot - connect to servers via ssh / telnet etc

as for games :-
Toilet rocket - very funny toilet rocket game
Jetcar stunts - control a stunt car on a race track with rocket boosters, 3d racing
flight control lite - pretend to be a flight controller

thats the bare minimum apart from various news apps.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Podcast! for Windows Phone
Maps for Windows Phone
Zune for Windoes Phone

and ofcorse calling

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by WakeUpRiseUp
reply to post by wigit

I like my computer and that’s about it. Hate what phones have become and I think tablets are the most pointless piece of junk ever; especially the ipad because people who buy it would more then likely already have an iphone so all they did was get something a little bigger.
Technology doesn’t need to be over the top, it just needs to do its job; and this stuff really doesn’t serve much purpose but to slow your brain.
Anyway, rant over.

Speak for yourself mate, I think the tablet has been a looooong time coming - it's 'netbooks' that are unnecessary. As to the iPhone/iPad argument, have you tried the iPad? Because if you haven't then you don't have an argument - I felt much the same until my wife bought one, now I don't know what we would do without it.

I find the people complaining the most about all this new technology are the older generations who grew up using paper and pencils and don't understand what all this 'technogarbage' is about.
edit on 1/12/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
If you get an iPhone/iPad you can't miss getting Airvideo - it seamlessly converts and streams any video content on your PC/server to the device. It costs like $2.99 (Aussie dollars) but I seriously use it just about every night - it's well worth the money.

AirVideo
edit on 1/12/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
how do you know if someone owns an i-Phone?
because they bloody tell you.

i've seen some really cool aps for astronomy, kinda like google sky but with the touchscreen interface. can't remember the name of these aps though sorry.

nice avatar poster above
edit on 1/12/2011 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
nice avatar poster above

Season 10 is being filmed Dec/Jan - 6 new studio episodes!

Anyway, to somewhat make this post on-topic I guess there will be a Red Dwarf app released.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Ahh, the perfect topic.. No particular order.

Android:

For Apps in General:

1. Crackle - Watch free movies and TV Episodes
2. Earthquake Alert - Maps out Earthquakes all around the world every single day by the location and time. Updates frequently.
3. Music - New Google app service that allows you to listen to music stored on your device and music you've uploaded to Googles database(via wi-fi or your phones Data connection).
4. Sketch Book Mobile (SBM) - Best sketching/drawing app I've ever seen on a mobile device! Can't be topped.
5. Skype - Video calls and voice calls.
6. Uloops Studio Pro - Perfect for producing songs on the go.
7. YouTube - Everyone knows what YouTube is...
8. E.S. File Explorer - File Manager.

For Games:
1. Angry Birds - Overrated game about birds and pigs. Objective is to knock kill all pigs by tossing birds at them, buildings made of wood, ice, rock, etc. are obstacles.
2. Battleheart - Nice colorful animated fast-paced action game. I don't know how to explain it anymore.
3. Elemental - Nice Sudoku type game with elements substituting numbers. Different element combinations make something new.
4. Flight Control - You're a flight controller and have to land as many planes and helicopters in the airport as possible without having them crash. Different levels make it challenging.
5. Iron Wars - 3D/2D shooter. You're a small ball battling in an arena against other balls. Sounds like cr@p with my explanation but it's actually one of the best games on android.

Here are the rest, too lazy to explain:

Hanging Free
N.O.V.A. 2 HD
SaveThatFish
Shadow Cave
Unblock Me Free
Uno
Words with Friends
AGWB (A Game With Balls)
Frenzic
Death Worm
Jelly Defense
Star Dunk

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
i've seen some really cool aps for astronomy, kinda like google sky but with the touchscreen interface. can't remember the name of these aps though sorry.

StarWalk is the best astronomy app for iPhone/iPad by a longshot.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

iPhone and iPad have the best apps out there. Google has to set a screen res standard for phones and tablets so we could get more developers willing to make some good quality apps for Android devices. All the different Android OS versions, all the different screen res's. I wouldn't want to waste my time either.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by FidelityMusic

My missus works at head office for a major mobile phone company here in Oz and regularly brings home new phones to try out. Out of all the phones I have tried, the iPhone beats the crap out of them. I was not impressed whatsoever with the Android OS. Things like the touchscreen not being as responsive, to the app store not meeting my expectation.

Believe me, I am not an Apple fanboi by any means - I am a PC man through and through, but when it comes to phones, and tablets, Apple definitely wins by far.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I'd say apple only wins by software... But that's just my opinion. I've owned both an iPhone and currently have an Android. I like my 4.1" display and the speed it has compared to the iPhone 3gs 16GB which cost as much. What companies were the phones you tried manufactured by? I like Motorola and HTC, those are probably the two best from my personal preference.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by FidelityMusic

HTC, Motorola, Samsung and a few others I can't remember.

Did you say you are using the 3GS as a comparison? The 3G and 3GS are dinosaurs in comparison to the 4 and the new 4S.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I'm comparing my Phone to the 3GS because of price range, spec relation, and what I owned. Now if we were comparing my phone to the 4G, the iPhone would wash my phone up and bury it, the iPhone 4G cost $300 more than my phone.. Now if we compare top Android phones to the iPhone 4S hardware-wise I think iPhone could keep up at first, but it would soon lag behind. Android phones come out seasonal, iPhones are yearly, iPhone is ahead of the game for the first month of it's release with Hardware specs, but there is always an Android that tops it shortly after because there are so many new ones being released.
edit on 1-12-2011 by FidelityMusic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
IDevice:
WolframAlpha- An amazing app that seems to know everything about anything. You can calculate the location of an IP address, and find the average salary of an author. $3
Zen Bound 2- A relaxing puzzle gum where you habe to paint different pieces of wood with rope. Strange, but relaxing. $3
Osmos- You are a little ball of matter trying to absorb other balls of matter to become big. $3
Angry Birds- Need I explain this one? $1
Infinity Blade- Use a variety of differing swords to defeat enemies. Makes you feel all powerful, but inly use on an IPad, with IPhone or touch, it crashes. $4
Pages, Keynote, Numbers- The basic work package, less features than microsoft, but works on tablets and other portable devices.- $10 each.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

I have a similar thread with a few of my favorites

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Great stuff. Thanks everyone. There should be no need for schools any more with all the great info that's out there in the form of apps that costs just a few pennies if they're not already free.

Any good foreign language applications out there? What about learning music?

reply to post by Akragon

Awesome, yours has videos too. I played that bubble one and went into another dimension for 10 minutes. Very relaxing, I'll get kids to get that one for me.

new topics

top topics

join