It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do some Christians wear crosses around their necks?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

First Century Ossuaries

Cross Inscription

edit on 2-12-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Say why do contries that claim to be "JUDEO CHRISTIAN" need nuclear weapons to protect them if GOD is so powerful?

the crosses are an age old symbol which started long before Jebus, and belonged to many "saviors" before him

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

originally it apllied to orions movemant in relation to the cross or axis of the planet earth.

orion sets higher and higher till he begins to set closer and closer to earth...the return or second coming
the timing of an AGE

thats no good for collecting absolvences though so jebus was made...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
For those who accuse others of sinning by doing so read this.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Jove in latin is pronounce yohway
Hey ZEUS
jebus man

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

Actually, I think displaced condescension may be one of the most disgusting things in the world.

As I said in an earlier post, enjoy yourself while you are still young enough to know everything.

Displaced condescension? Young enough to know everything?

My condescension is based upon research when I was a Christian. Research that included studying the bible diligently for decades, in the original languages.

As far as my age goes, you are making an incorrect assumption, both on my age, and the idea that you think that I am of the opinion that I "know everything". Agnosticism is the exact opposite of believing that you have all the answers. That is more the predilection of the militant religiosity that permeates the Abrahamic faiths.

I was only trying to enlighten you on the fact that your symbol is without true Christian meaning. As I said previously, your eyes just glossed over, and you are unable to fit any more understanding into your tiny little world view.

You conceded the debate when you met my attempt to direct you to historical, scientific information on the subject, with personal attacks. You are no longer deserving of enough respect for me to continue debating with you.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Interesting. Now that I've seen the pics and have had my memory jogged; wasn't this on an episode of the Naked Archeologist some time ago? Not that it matters. The ossuaries are right in the time frame of when "Christians" in Northern Africa would've started adopting the cross as a symbol. Doesn't prove Christ died on a cross, but it does prove they adopted the symbol early on. The cross didn't become synonymous with Christianity until Constantine made it so.
Constantine already held the cross as a religious symbol which had a connection with the Babylonian sun-god, and some would claim that his proclamation that the symbol was "Christian" was false, that he never truly adopted Christianity as his true religion until his death-bed.

[ETA]
I did a little googling and found you an interesting read:

J.C. Cooper, An Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Traditional Symbols, p. 45, aptly summarises it, "Cross - A universal symbol from the most remote times; it is the cosmic symbol par excellence." Other authorities also call it a sun-symbol, a Babylonian sun-symbol, an astrological Babylonian-Assyrian and heathen sun-symbol, also in the form of an encircled cross referred to as a "solar wheel", and many other varieties of crosses. Also, "the cross represents the Tree of Life", the age-old fertility symbol, combining the vertical male and horizontal female principles, especially in Egypt, either as an ordinary cross, or better known in the form of the crux ansata, the Egyptian ankh (sometimes called the Tau cross), which had been carried over into our modern-day symbol of the female, well known in biology.

☥ ✝ ☩ ☨ ☧

edit on 3-12-2011 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jennybee35
reply to post by Dr UAE

Seems to me if you are a follower of Christ that He is INSIDE of you thru the Holy Spirit. No outward symbols needed. It is NO ONE'S business what your beliefs are, if others want to know what you believe, they'll ask.

If someone is a "christian" who follows a religion, they many times wear a cross so others can see thru that religious symbol that they are "christian"
If you are a disciple of Christ(obedient to God's Word) your actions and reactions should show that you live by the bible's principles and people will ask you about your beliefs just based on your character and not because of your symbolic graven artifacts, which I believe show hypocrisy in those who wear them because those are the people who usually shine a bad light on the true people of God.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

The only "obvious" signs of changes made were in the 3rd and 4th centuries AD when the Gnostics expurgated great portions of text that didn't align with their Gnostic doctrines. (Example the last 12 verses of Mark) There have been many subtle and overt attacks on the deity of Christ, His blood atonement, and the virgin birth. And that permeates to today, the three things all cults and antichristian belief systems hold as true is the rejection of the deity of Christ, attacks on His blood atonement, and attack on His virgin birth.

There have indeed been great changes to the Word, that's why if you're not too informed to what these changes are, why they were made, and what groups made them, you can look at the mess and want to throw your hands up in confusion.

edit on 1-12-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

I don't see the attacks in those verses. By admitting something like that, you are claiming that mere men were in control of manipulating God's Word. It would then no longer be God's Word.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by monkcaw
reply to post by Burgo1010

BS, huh? That's fine because you just proved my point. The cross is an idol but the Cherubim on the Ark of the Covenant...is that an idol too? The cross is an idol but the Tabernacle that God instructed to be built with religious images...is that idolatrous as well? Seems you and the Bible differ in your discernment concerning the 2nd commandment.

My point was that people young in the Faith tend to yoke themselves needlessly to items of the Law, which is fine--it's all apart of the process--but it's hoped that they eventually come to see the Law for what it is.

The commandment says not to make unto "ourselves" any graven image. If God ordains it to be done, then it is okay because He makes the rules, not us.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
The cross is a symbol of the initiation of the crucifixion which everyone must go through if they are to follow Jesus in the Path of the Ascension. He said he was The Way. It is the crucifixion of the human ego which must take place before we can ascend.
When Jesus said , "My God my God, why hast thou forsaken me?", he went through the initiation of the Dark Night of the Spirit. A number of canonized Saints have also gone through the Dark Night of the Soul and the Dark Night of the Spirit.

Dark Night of the Soul (Spanish: La noche oscura del alma) is the title of a poem written by 16th-century Spanish poet and Roman Catholic mystic Saint John of the Cross, as well as of a treatise he wrote later, commenting on the poem. Saint John of the Cross was a Carmelite priest. His poem narrates the journey of the soul from its bodily home to its union with God. The journey occurs during the night, which represents the hardships and difficulties the soul meets in detachment from the world and reaching the light of the union with the Creator

en.wikipedia.org...

www.streamsministries.com...
edit on 4-12-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by creatednotEvolved

I don't see the attacks in those verses.

The Gnostics rejected a bodily resurrection of Christ, that's why they removed the last 12 verses.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join