It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how many are willing to admit they still use the big banks?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Are we in the Great Recession? Yes.
sooooooo, not even close. those who were not born during the Great Recession have nothing to compare to, this i understand, but for those of us who were ... y'all ain't seen NOTHING yet.

You think this is a grand event but in the historical perspective it deserves, nope, it's just another dip in the roller coaster. Hang on though, it's a rough ride all around.

i would bet there isn't a poster on this board (currently) who has any direct memory of "green stamps".
what they were, how you got them or what their purpose was.
edit on 1-12-2011 by Honor93 because: add txt

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Sure I do. I've been with Bank of America for 30 years or so. They have always treated me right. I've never been charged a fee--ever. My checks, not that I use many, are free. I don't pay them interest at all because I pay on time. Their statements are accurate, and I have all the services from them I need. Of course, I'm not in debt to them either. My cards (two, in case one gets zapped) have a $0 balance and my mortgage is paid off. I owe utility bills each month (water, garbage, electricity, phones) and that's all.

I'm not really happy with the low interest rate I get, but credit unions are only marginally better and this is not exclusively a BofA issue. It has more to do with Federal policy than anything. The government is artificially keeping rates low at our expense. It is the government that is screwing us over here, not the banks. You ought to march on Washington, D.C., not Wall Street. And, no I don't work for a bank or at McDonalds.

It really cracks me up thay you guys will go get a 40 year mortgage on a house you can't really afford, figuring appreciation and inflation will be your friends. When the housing market tanks and you're underwater, then you have the gall to blame the banks for giving you the mortgage in the first place. You fail to take into account the fact that the banks were forced by the government to give you a loan you couldn't afford because "it isn't fair" that you couldn't get a loan when those terrible people who actually have a job could. You gambled. You gambled wrong. You lost, and then you blame the house. Typical for the entitlement generation. It's like the homeless mom with 17 kids claiming "Someone is going to have to take care of my kids!" Well, ma'am, if you could keep your legs together for more than two minutes at a time you wouldn't have caused this problem that you insist on foisting on others who have been more responsible.

The fact is, most people don't buy off on your "blame the big banks" rhetoric. It's not that they are sheeple; it is that they flat out don't agree with you. You make a lot of noise, but defecating on the streets of New York, raping women in flea-infested tents, and beating up vendors because they don't have any more free food to give you does not endear you to the public. Most of you have no education in Economics at all. You really have no idea what you are talking about. Further, you don't really count. Your net worth is so low that banks lose money on your accounts as it is. You leaving a big bank is a sigh of relief to them. It helps their bottom line. Those small banks and credit unions cringe every time you waltz through the door with your $947.13 balances to open an account and then demand customer service.

Do I think the big banks should have gotten bailouts? Hell, no. I don't. It's politics. Donate to Obama, get a half billion dollar loan. That's how corrupt this place is. But the fact is I'm already bailing you out. I pay for all the services you get for free, all the food stamps you swap on the street for fifty cents on the dollar, in fact, for nearly half of you, everything you get from the government. Here's how it breaks down:

The top 1% earned 20.70% of the income, but paid 38.02% of all income taxes.
The top 5% earned 34.73% of the income, but paid 58.72% of all income taxes.
The top 10% earned 45.77% of the income, but paid 69.94% of all income taxes.
The top 25% earned 67.38% of the income, but paid 86.34% of all income taxes.
The top 50% earned 87.25% of the income, but paid 97.30% of all income taxes.
The bottom 50% earned 12.75% of the income, but paid 2.59% of all income taxes

These are 2010 figures from the IRS. The best way for you to get income redistribution is to get a job and be frugal. Save money. Work for McDonalds. Did you know that half the McDonalds franchise owners started out working at flinging fries there? It's true. Working actually leads to wealth if you do it right. Let's say that again:

Working hard leads to wealth. Carrying a sign demanding wealth someone else earned by working does not. Get over yourselves.
edit on 12/1/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I would never have a Home mortgage through chase And a car loan through wells fargo. This is not by choice though as both of my Loans were sold after I made them. If my credit wasn't so horribly bad I would get away from these guys. But after losing money at my job And financial hardships There is no way I can get out of these loans right now.

Wow epic post! ^^^ well stated facts. Good job.
edit on 1-12-2011 by imawlinn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

um.....what?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

Are we in the Great Recession? Yes.
sooooooo, not even close. those who were not born during the Great Recession have nothing to compare to, this i understand, but for those of us who were ... y'all ain't seen NOTHING yet.

You think this is a grand event but in the historical perspective it deserves, nope, it's just another dip in the roller coaster. Hang on though, it's a rough ride all around.

i would bet there isn't a poster on this board (currently) who has any direct memory of "green stamps".
what they were, how you got them or what their purpose was.
edit on 1-12-2011 by Honor93 because: add txt

Big differance between "Great Depression" and "Great Recession"... perhaps you misread?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

yes, i'm well aware of both and Both are history, not currently happening.
the Great Recession was in the mid-70s and some of us survived it. What is happening today is NO comparison, yet.

Those who promote this as a Great Recession really have no clue about any of it.
yes, it can get worse and did. yes, we can survive it, many have.
and no, i made no reading error this time but thanks for asking.

you asked a question and answered it incorrectly ... understand ??
the Great Recession occurred some 40yrs ago, not today.

comparisons of today with the days of then is utterly ridiculous because there is no comparison between the two periods. not the economy, not the joblessness, not even the inflation.

and, i asked about "green stamps" because they were a staple of the Great Recession and if you know nothing of them, you know nothing of it, simple.

were we "rationed" ??? yes, in every way possible.
are we there today ?? not even close.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join