It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major lack of Rain in the UK this Year?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Strange, this is the third such thing I've seen on the lack of rainfall in the northern hemisphere, There has been reports in the US too about a very dry year for rainfall.
Oddly, it seems to be the reverse pattern, for about the last 10 years or so beginning in 2000, we have had it very very dry in Australia, to the point of water restrictions, even some of the local lakes were completely dried out for 4-5 years, some dams across the country had as little as 8%. Then just last year and early this year we had all the floods across numerous areas, and have had higher than expected rainfall in the last three months. The BOM in Aus is saying the northern states are expecting higher than average rainfall this wet season, something that makes me nervous.
Does it just seem odd that we have a complete turnaround in rainfall in the southern hemisphere, as the northern hemisphere goes into what seems to be a beginning drought?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I'm in the north East of England, right by the coast and it's usually raining often here. However, I've noticed there has been a distinct lack of rain, but then again, we had temperatures in their 20's in October, it'll probably be nothing to worry about, the weather is always bizarre in England. Anyway, it looks like it's making up for the lack of rainfall right now cos it's absolutely coming down, it's raining that hard it sounds like there's a steel drum band in the back yard.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Rainfall has been fairly normal over the Midlands.
Of course the flowering and fruiting plants have been a little confused due to the late indian summer we had, but I would assume the frost the other night reminded them what time of the year it is now. Just still seem's a little warm compared to our usual Novembers.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I'm in the south east and there certainly hasn't been as much rainfall here as the north and western areas have had, based on the daily weather reports.

Each morning I see there's been rainfall in the western and scotland areas whereas down in the south east, it's mostly foggy.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Living in the midlands I have to agree - normally September and October see a reasonable amount of rain each year, but it has been dry, almost always clear, and I think it has rained 5-6 times (today being one of those).
Even when it rains, it seems to only rain for an hour or so then clears up.
Cannot offer any more info than my own personal experience.
edit on 25-11-2011 by facchino because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
Am in Sussex and usually have a look at the levels on the Southern Water website.. the current average for the area that Southern Water operate (Hampshire Sussex and Kent) is 83.9mm per month while the 2011 actual rainfall is 34.5mm per month.

www.southernwater.co.uk...

Be very careful of quoting water companies links for data - they are not the most accurate/honest at reporting figures, as they want every reason going for increasing water rates/forcing water meters on everyone!!!! I suggest using other sources.

If you look at their own reservoir levels, you can see something isn't right! Those reservoirs are being filled up from somewhere, and they aren't tanking the water in.

www.southernwater.co.uk...

edit on 27-11-2011 by mirageofdeceit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

While that is true and I would not trust those con merchants as far as I could throw them... I still find the data they produce quite useful.

However rain levels have little to do with reservoir levels here since the hills contain large chalk aquifers that provide most of the water to the rivers that in turn fill the reservoirs.

They also pump the water to the reservoirs from other rivers (e.g the Yalding pipeline to Bewl water reservoir.. so yes they do tanker in water of sorts and then they pump that water between reservoirs to keep levels balanced.
news.bbc.co.uk...

So there really is no connection between rainfall and reservoir level but you are right it doesn't mean they don't lie out of their bums on these things..

Which is demonstrated by (well what must have been giggles) the building a desalination plant right next to the Brighton Block Chalk aquifer! (one of the most important aquifers in England *shakes head at the waste* )

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Here in Kent my local natural pond has dried up to just a puddle, I have never seen it so low.Also apparently Bewl reservoir is down to 40% www.express.co.uk...

BRITAIN is on drought alert today with reservoirs drying up and rivers running at worryingly low levels.
Some parts of the country have had the driest 12 months since 1976 when crops failed and water was rationed.
And with mild, arid weather set to continue for weeks, utility firms warned that families could face restrictions on their water consumption by the spring.
In Sussex, South East Water said reservoirs were reaching “very low levels” with Ardingly and Arlington both just over a third full.
It said it could not rule out imposing restrictions next year or seeking drought permits to allow it to draw more water from rivers to fill its reservoirs.
Southern Water’s reservoir at Darwell in the same county is also only a third full while its facility at Bewl Water in Kent is at just 40 per cent of its capacity.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join