It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Deutch Introduces OCCUPIED Constitutional Amendment To Ban Corporate Money In Politics

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

The Bank of North Dakota is a publicly owned bank;

The state Industrial Commission oversees Bank of North Dakota, as mandated by the 1919 state legislature. Members of the Industrial Commission are the Governor, who acts as chairman, the Attorney General and the Commissioner of Agriculture of the State of North Dakota.

The Bank also has a seven-member Advisory Board appointed by the Governor. The members are knowledgeable in banking and finance. The Advisory Board reviews the Bank's operations and makes recommendations to the Industrial Commission relating to the Bank's management, services, policies and procedures.

All three members of the Industrial Commission are elected by the public.

The greatest difference between a public bank and a private bank is that the leadership is elected by the general public instead of board of directors. Also, in terms of shareholders, the publicly owned banks shareholders are the state institutions instead of wealthy individuals. In a credit union, the members of the bank (the people with regular checking accounts) are the shareholders but don't have an election for the leadership of the bank.

There are numerous examples of publicly owned entities throughout the US that are 'normally' privately owned. Nebraska, as one example, has one of the largest publicly owned utility company in the US. The Nebraska Public Power District's seven board members are elected by the general public.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

Yep, that's one.

good idea if it could work on a federal level.

interesting that they are not an FDIC member !

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazyGuy
The call to remove corporate greed from our politics has taken a step towards making it happen.

The 99% movement isn't going to just fade away like TPTB would like. The message has been heard by too many people.

Rep. Deutch Introduces OCCUPIED Constitutional Amendment To Ban Corporate Money In Politics

In one of the greatest signs yet that the 99 Percenters are having an impact, Rep. Ted Deutch (D-FL), a member of the House Judiciary Committee, today introduced an amendment that would ban corporate money in politics and end corporate personhood once and for all.

Deutch’s amendment, called the Outlawing Corporate Cash Undermining the Public Interest in our Elections and Democracy (OCCUPIED) Amendment, would overturn the Citizens United decision, re-establishing the right of Congress and the states to regulate campaign finance laws, and to effectively outlaw the ability of for-profit corporations to contribute to campaign spending.

Americans of all stripes agree that for far too long, corporations have occupied Washington and drowned out the voices of the people. I introduced the OCCUPIED Amendment because the days of corporate control of our democracy. It is time to return the nation’s capital and our democracy to the people.

So urce

Full PDF
Outlawing Corporate Cash Undermining the Public Interest in our Elections and Democracy

edit on 19-11-2011 by LazyGuy because: Added additional quote

Lets abolish insider trading and that will be a start.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Privately held banks will only finance things that suit their agenda while publicly held banks will finance things like new infrastructure items without a whole litany of demands and pre-requisites! Interest paid to a private bank goes into someone's backpocket while interest paid on a public bank goes back into the nation and not an individual's backpocket.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
If this initiative fails regardless of loopholes then all other demands are useless and the "Occupy" movement is over, cause corporatism needs to end to bring balance back to our nations.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by brice

Especially corporatism hiding under the cloak of capitalism.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
y

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by LazyGuy

Excellent Opening. Starred & Flagged, just adding what I received today.

E-mailed I received today from Rep. Ted Deutch and think it at least bares investigating.
(e-mail)In recent months, Americans have rallied across the nation for action on rising income inequality, outrageous corporate tax giveaways, mounting student loan debt, and long-term joblessness. But while our citizens have occupied cities throughout America, corporations continue to occupy Washington and our state capitals, drowning out the voices of the 99 percent. Americans of all political stripes are united in the belief that all too often, corporate interests trump the will of the people. That's why today I want to tell you about an effort I am undertaking to return democracy to the people.
It's called the OCCUPIED Amendment, and it stands for Outlawing Corporate Cash Undermining the Public Interest in our Elections and Democracy.
My proposed amendment to the Constitution:
• Makes clear that corporations are not people like you and me.
• Bans corporations from using their profits to buy our elections.
• Allows Congress to crack down on anonymous third-party groups and Super PACS.
• Gives us the right to limit the flood of campaign contributions from billionaires and shadowy secret organizations.
Click here to sign your name to the growing list of Americans fed up with corporate control of our elections.

Passing a constitutional amendment is no easy feat, but it is a tool the Framers of our Constitution bestowed upon us for times when our democracy is threatened.

My friends, this is such a time.
• The Supreme Court's Citizens United decision has given corporations the right to spend unlimited amounts of their profits on our elections.
• The 2010 election cycle was flooded with malicious attack ads funded by secret Super PACS flush with record amounts of corporate cash.
• State legislatures are passing new restrictions on voting rights in exchange for contributions from corporate-backed front groups.
Just giving Congress the authority to limit corporate spending in our elections is not enough. We need to get their money out. Amending the Constitution is an enormous undertaking. That is why we must unite around an amendment that immediately gets corporations out of our elections. It is up to us to change the course of history and return our government to the American people.
I am thrilled that Public Citizen, the Center for Media and Democracy, and other public interest groups have come out in support of the OCCUPIED Amendment. But what is most important is that the OCCUPIED Amendment has your support.
Our Constitution granted its precious rights to America's citizens - real people like you and me. Together, we can build a nationwide movement of Americans committed to getting corporate money out of our elections.
You can read more and sign the petition here.
Stand with me, and let's begin the work of restoring our democracy together.
Thanks,
Rep. Ted Deutch(end of e-mail)

Why We Must Work Together To Pass The OCCUPIED Amendment
Corporations are not people and they do not belong in our elections.
Source and good article that explains Res 90 here: www.theoccupiedamendment.org...
In compliance with ATS rules on lengthy ex texts, please visit site and read about it yourself and decide.
Being distracted, apathy, being manipulated and not choosing to educate ourselves as to what TPTB are pulling over on us led us into this mess.
Maybe united we can peacefully undo some of the damage.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join