It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's Lightest Material Is a Metal 100 Times Lighter Than Styrofoam

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeeon
I'm surprised that I haven't seen any comments about Philip Corso and his information regarding metals of this type being recovered from the crash at Roswell. Remember the video of the guy crushing that "tinfoil" like material and it unfolded again?

Add to the fact that this was funded by the DARPA and all of a sudden maybe Corso doesn't sound like a complete loon? Just sayin'.

You are right, funded by DARPA, but if your read some of posts above, you will see that some members already did some comments about that material. And I have to thank you to bring Corso to the thread. Philip J. Corso was a grat man.

According to Corso, the reverse engineering of these artifacts indirectly led to the development of accelerated particle beam devices, fiber optics, lasers, integrated circuit chips and Kevlar material.

Source

Maybe this IS one more sub product. Who knows

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

I want a nodachi (long katana) made with that stuff..

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jcord
reply to post by RUSSO

Nothing weighs less.

Lighter than Aerogel, eh?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
It's the lightest "structure" on earth (so far). Since it's mostly made up of nickel, it's hardly the lightest "material." If they used nickel to make it, they should, in time, be able to substitute that nickel with a lighter/stronger metal or alloy, like titanium for instance.

That being said, I didn't see anything in the article discussing the strength of this stuff. If it's durable, the applications are nearly limitless, if it's only good for disrupting airflow or what have you, then it's applications are reduced to fabrics, filters, and/or insulation. Good for aircraft or spacecraft interiors I suppose. Still. Interesting.

edit on 18-11-2011 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Wow, only .01% is composed of the interconnected tubes, which have a wall thickness of just 100 nm!!! 100 x thinner than a human hair! That is simply amazing in my opinion. Whoever mentioned the Roswell material could be on to something, lol, as it is super-light, and would retain its shape relatively well. It just isn't strong enough.

Think about this though...DARPA had already known about this stuff, and probably used it, for a while now. How long is anyone's guess. Could it have been from decades ago? Since they are just now deeming it unimportant enough to reveal to the public and allow civilian scientists to work with it, they have probably concluded that they have no reason to keep it classified.

DARPA comes up with some pretty amazing stuff, like the Humvee that fires the laser at an RPG right before it impacts the vehicle, which they showed on like the Military Channel or NatGeo or something not that long ago. If this stuff were stronger I could see them using it on flying vehicles.

I wonder if this material has any use for space parts and pieces. I haven't really been able to determine exactly how strong it is, as I don't remember reading it in the article, but it couldn't be too strong. Could you imagine if DARPA has something just like this that is 1,000 x stronger? Heck, they probably do...Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

If that were the case however, agencies like NASA, and even the general public are severely missing out on life-changing developments that are being selfishly harbored by the military.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mtok7
Maybe this metal is reverse engineered from the alien crash site at Roswell, it matches the description of metal that was allegedly recovered there.
edit on 18-11-2011 by mtok7 because: (no reason given)

I believe it is achievable with this tech. In theory there is no limit to what can be printed in this manner. Image how it would perform at a scale much smaller than it currently is, but instead of printing a sheet you are printing an entire hull. Super light, super resiliant, and with specific designs of the material it could be multi-functional. You would only be limited by the printers and printing material.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by banishedfromthisarea

Originally posted by jcord
reply to post by RUSSO

Nothing weighs less.

Lighter than Aerogel, eh?

I wonder if Bob Lazar will sell this very light material at his company United Nuclear?

DARPA probably had this prototype made back in the 1980s.

The press release i saw said you could use this on a spacecraft. Okay, where on the spacecraft?

The hatch going inside the spacecraft?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Maybe this metal is reverse engineered from the alien crash site at Roswell, it matches the description of metal that was allegedly recovered there.

The Grays are probably rolling their eyes! Well, it sure took you long enough.

When do we get to see the rest of the alien technology? It has been 64 years!

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

They will probably say it is a weather balloon again lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join