It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Making Heads or tails out of solar/wind power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Ok, nutshell version. Would like to be able to heat the home, possibly water, and have electricity even when power company doesn't. Would eventually like to be completely off grid, but not sure what that entails or even if it's legal where I live. Trying to do as must reading as I possibly can, but tutorials very quickly become too complicated for us to follow as far as DIY solar panel installation and DIY wind turbines. ANY advice, direction would be appreciated.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by lazydaisy67

Would eventually like to be completely off grid, but not sure what that entails or even if it's legal where I live.

you might want to rethink that part. It depends on where you live of course, but many places offer incentives to stay on the grid, and currently my province is working towards regulating private individuals/industry and their ability to power the grid.

Once you get your setup going, you will more than likely generate more power than you need, yes, you can get battery storage, but you'll run out of "space" soon enough. Once this happens, you can put power back into the grid and the power company pays YOU. It's an extremely reduced rate compared to what they charge, but they in fact would end up paying you for the power you put back into the grid.

good luck, i'm sure there are plenty of ATS users already "off the grid" and using solar/wind power.

Ideally my dream home would use solar power and geothermal heating/cooling with reclaimed water. Maybe a turbine for "backup"

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by lazydaisy67
Ok, nutshell version. Would like to be able to heat the home, possibly water, and have electricity even when power company doesn't. Would eventually like to be completely off grid, but not sure what that entails or even if it's legal where I live. Trying to do as must reading as I possibly can, but tutorials very quickly become too complicated for us to follow as far as DIY solar panel installation and DIY wind turbines. ANY advice, direction would be appreciated.

Well I know a lot about this since I'm an architect and LEED accredited professional. First of all, the "payback" is still extremely long for these technologies. It'll be 15+ years before you break even on the investment. And the government is doing a truly sorry job with incentives, there are few. Second, it's not advisable to go off-grid. Solar panels create the most energy during the day when families are at work and school, so the only way to "bank" that energy is to sell it back to the grid (battery storage is currently not a viable option for home applications). This requires a meter that can run in reverse (not available in all areas, make sure you check). When the family is home in the evening they're buying power back from the grid because the panels are not generating anything, but it's sold to the grid all day when they're not there. If you live in an area that has variable energy costs this is really beneficial because you're selling energy to the grid during high rate periods and buying it back during low rate periods. Wind generators operate in much the same manner.

Don't expect to cover 100% of your utility costs unless your house is incredibly efficient, the size of the solar array would be large and costly. It's more reasonable to expect to reduce your bills by 50% or so.

HOAs are still a problem, particularly with wind generators. Check your local covenants (if any).

I don't recommend you try to go DIY on this, these systems are quite complex and the hookups are dangerous and it is best left to experts in the field.

Another tech you might consider (especially if you heat with electricity) is geothermal heating/ cooling, it is very efficient. Up-front costs are 3 to 4 times a conventional system and payback is still a good 10 years, but it will make a big dent in your electric bill.

Also look at other ways to improve your home's efficiency- windows, attic insulation, Energy Star appliances, a programmable thermostat, etc. Many of these are quite cost effective and payback is shorter.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

Well, that kind of pops the dream bubble doesn't it? So, basically, you're saying that unless we have done everything to make our home A: uber-efficient, and B: have tons of cash laying around, that we shouldn't even attempt this?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Ideally, No birds will get smatterd in the fans, and everyone will be able to sleep at night without underground vibrations giving them headaches.
www.youtube.com...
Look at the other videos.

Plus, the PTB ban progress for selective causes. Here's the report on too many birds flying into the blades.
plainsdaily.com...

The Palm Springs fans errrr windturbines have been up for a long time. No ban.
www.palmsprings.com...

My point is that with every advancement for technology,we need a balance of common sense and a real understanding of the total value.

Solar power and and wind power sound logical. IF we make cheap power from Chinese manufacturers,that effects our infrastucture.

I'm all for alternative energy. Let's be logical as we progress with the right choices.

I personally think fracking hasn't been proven out to not be safe yet. Removing oil from shale? Maybe.
Fossile fuels work...Why buy them from the mideast? We don't care if we destroy THEIR countries to import it?

They have better safeguards then we do? Or we don't care?

new topics

top topics

join