It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milwaukee Runs Provocative Ads to Wake Parents Up to Dangers of Co-Sleeping

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I think it should be the parents choice. My son slept with us until he was about 2 then we suggested he sleep in his own room. I got kicked in the jewels a few times, that was the worst way to wake up!!!!

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by TheInterceptor

Who created this message? And why are you listening to the advice of an entity you have never met or identified over parental instinct?

This message is one of safety and it is age old. My Parental instinct is telling me to override my selfish desire to sleep with my baby so i can ensure i wont kill him while I sleep. Its called being responsible. You dont have to look to hard to find many cases about parents smothering their kids while they sleep, or dropping them out of bed. The latter of which has happend to every parent that i personally know that has slept with their kids and guess what, they stopped the foolishness after that.

Do what you want, but any credible doctor you go to will tell you the same and if you ever went to a parenting class they would highly suggest that you do not sleep with your baby.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

My son has always slept in a crib and never wakes up in the middle of the night. That has nothing to do with co sleeping or crib sleeping, we just both got lucky!

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheInterceptor

Who created this message? And why are you listening to the advice of an entity you have never met or identified over parental instinct?

This message is one of safety and it is age old. My Parental instinct is telling me to override my selfish desire to sleep with my baby so i can ensure i wont kill him while I sleep. Its called being responsible. You dont have to look to hard to find many cases about parents smothering their kids while they sleep, or dropping them out of bed. The latter of which has happend to every parent that i personally know that has slept with their kids and guess what, they stopped the foolishness after that.

Do what you want, but any credible doctor you go to will tell you the same and if you ever went to a parenting class they would highly suggest that you do not sleep with your baby.

No.. Many credible doctors will tell you that co-sleeping encourages good emotional growth, helps to regulate baby's sleeping, and as has been posted many times in this thread, will REDUCE your child's chances of falling victim to SIDS.

I'm not going to tell you that your method is wrong, because it's your choice.. But I will tell you that your assertions here are wrong. If you take safety into consideration and make sure your bed is up to par, co-sleeping is healthier and safer than making baby sleep in a separate room, all alone.
edit on 16-11-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

No.. Many credible doctors will tell you that co-sleeping encourages good emotional growth, helps to regulate baby's sleeping, and as has been posted many times in this thread, will REDUCE your child's chances of falling victim to SIDS.

I'm not going to tell you that your method is wrong, because it's your choice.. But I will tell you that your assertions here are wrong. If you take safety into consideration and make sure your bed is up to par, co-sleeping is healthier and safer than making baby sleep in a separate room, all alone.

Well you can listen to your doctors and ill listen to the good ones.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

It happened to Ya Ya the Panda.

That story broke right about the time my first child was born. I was scared to death I would do the same thing. My wife is 95 lbs, she isn't much bigger than the babies, but I'm 250, and I didn't want to crush one. I laid with the babies a lot, but I never actually slept. I still don't, and they are 5 and 4 years old now. I cuddle them, but I don't fall asleep until they are safely back in their beds.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Just like I wouldn't let a stranger tell me what to do, I wouldn't let a parenting class tell me what to do either.

Again, where do they get their information?

You say its a safety message? Who started it and why?
Again, just like crib companies promote the anti- co sleeping message, who is sponsoring this information?

Remember when those PTB told parents formula was better?

Or that babies should sleep in their stomaches?

That cesarians are now the cause of 25% of births because doctors don't want liability.

Do you know that the DHA addictive in formulas that is hard to get away from now comes from Seaweed, and was only studied for a year?

A lot of these mandates come for the NICHD. Do you know who they are? Do you know where their research comes from?

And doctors have to tell you their recommendations, or face malpractise lawsuits.

You don't have to look hard to find crib deaths.

And you keep calling your parental instinct, selfishness because you can't make your own parenting decisions.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

No offense getready, but its a panda. And a panda that was taken from its natural habitat, artificially inseminated, and put behind glass. There is nothing natural about that panda's life. Why would its natural instincts suddenly kick in?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

*laughs* only doctors she agrees with are good ones. Sheep....

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

Well you can listen to your doctors and ill listen to the good ones.

No offense, but is that your child in the human flesh cannibal mask with fake blood all over their shirt?

That image alone is enough to make me not want to take your advice. You live your life, I'll live mine.

Co-Sleeping Research

The physiological effects of sleep-sharing are finally being studied in sleep laboratories that are set up to mimic, as much as possible, the home bedroom. Over the past few years, nearly a million dollars of government research money has been devoted to sleep-sharing research. These studies have all been done on mothers and infants ranging from two to five months in age. Here are the preliminary findings based on mother-infant pairs studied in the sleep-sharing arrangement versus the solitary-sleeping arrangement:

1. Sleep-sharing pairs showed more synchronous arousals than when sleeping separately. When one member of the pair stirred, coughed, or changed sleeping stages, the other member also changed, often without awakening.

2. Each member of the pair tended to often, but not always, be in the same stage of sleep for longer periods if they slept together.

3. Sleep-sharing babies spent less time in each cycle of deep sleep. Lest mothers worry they will get less deep sleep; preliminary studies showed that sleep-sharing mothers didn't get less total deep sleep.

4. Sleep-sharing infants aroused more often and spent more time breastfeeding than solitary sleepers, yet the sleep-sharing mothers did not report awakening more frequently.

5. Sleep-sharing infants tended to sleep more often on their backs or sides and less often on their tummies, a factor that could itself lower the SIDS risk.

6. A lot of mutual touch and interaction occurs between the sleep-sharers. What one does affects the nighttime behavior of the other.

Even though these studies are being conducted in sleep laboratories instead of the natural home environment, it's likely that within a few years enough mother-infant pairs will be studied to scientifically validate what insightful mothers have long known: something good and healthful occurs when mothers and babies share sleep.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

No offense getready, but its a panda. And a panda that was taken from its natural habitat, artificially inseminated, and put behind glass. There is nothing natural about that panda's life. Why would its natural instincts suddenly kick in?

Good point. But it was significant to my wife and I's already existing fear, and we often said to one another at nap time..... ."Don't Panda bear him!" It was a little bit of a running joke, but also a constant reminder to be careful.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

It is the first time city officials have set such a target for reducing the rate, aiming to improve the city's status as one of the worst for infants in the nation. The goal is to reduce the black infant mortality rate by 15%, and the city's overall rate by 10%.

What a terrible goal.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by delius

That is just it, the rate is higher then many third world countries. The problem is obviously not just co sleeping, so why focus on that?

It is just a uneducated, unresearched ad.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

If you feel you didn't have the instincts, and it made you too nervous, you were probably right. But at least you supplemented with a lot of cuddling and napping. (napping with the baby in teh recliner was one of my favorite things)
We used a sleep positioner, and I knew where I was in relation to my child at all times.
I also took precautions and stopped taking any sedating meds.
That is the difference between co sleeping and responsible co sleeping.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

It is just a uneducated, unresearched ad.

And most likely an uneducated, unresearched population as well. Maybe they should start with their education system and social programs before they go assigning blame to one specific activity.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
VERY Uninformed POSTIng wile posting about aliens or big foot is harmless this kind OF irresponsible POSTING should NOT be alowed giving people advice on how to care for teh health of there child? alest the people who studyed this went to med school.
My second boy was born and tryed his DARNDEST to have crib death Now being as we were parnoid parents we kept the boys in our room RIGHT next to the bed so first time my son stoped breathing I was instintly AWAKE pulling him from the crib moving him around enough to brake this what ever causes it CURSE .
after that me and my wife slept in shifts for the next 3 months it happened a total of 3 or 4 times in that time then just disapired .
NEEDLESS to say folks Sleeping with baby in bed btween mom and DAd is asking for death so go ahead listen to these quakes after if your young enough i gess you can have another

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Three out of every four Milwaukee County babies who suffocated in their sleep or died of SIDS in 2007 and 2008 were sleeping with an adult or with another child, according to a first-of-its kind analysis of infant fatalities. Co-sleeping was a factor in 10 of the 11 suffocations that occurred in the county during that time period. It was a factor in 28 out of 40 deaths attributed to sudden infant death syndrome.

www.jsonline.com...

Uneducated?

edit on 16-11-2011 by delius because: fixed quote type

edit on 16-11-2011 by delius because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

If you feel you didn't have the instincts, and it made you too nervous, you were probably right.

I don't think any "manly" man is totally comfortable around a new born. Those things look fragile, and they are irreplaceable, and we have been groomed our whole lives not to touch something if we can't afford to replace it!

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
i]reply to post by delius

Yes, because suffocation is not SIDS.

Definition of SIDS, also known as crib death:

Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) is the unexpected, sudden death of a child under age 1 in which an autopsy does not show an explainable cause of death.

link

So teh whole issue is misinformation put out the medical examiners office, who is supposed to be a doctor and educated and doesn't even know the correct definition of SIDS.

There is co sleeping practised all over the world, with much lower numbers then Milwaukee. So this isn't the problem.

Three fourths of heroin related deaths in all of Wisconsin occur in Milwaukee.

See the connection?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Well said. I think this is a parenting issue, or maybe a population without resources.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join