It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How often do you exercise your rights?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
One thing I've heard from many different sources when talking about rights and liberty, is that if you do not exercise them, they will be taken away. Thomas Jefferson had a few things to say about the value of doing this:

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?"

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all."

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."

"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add “within the limits of the law,” because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty."

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground."

When was the last you did your part to see to it that his last statement isn't coming true?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

Rights and liberties are limited by laws. Every law made by law makers is one less right or liberty we are permitted.

Can you please take a moment of your time to google how many laws exist at this particular moment in the USA? What is the number of laws?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I have rights? I might exercise 'em more if I wasnt so scared.

First thing I'd do is stop paying the slave taxes: income tax and property tax, but I dont want my assets confiscated nor do I want to be throw in jail.

Then I'd like go to different protests but again I dont wanna get battered by a "peace officer".

I'd like to be more vocal about 9/11 Truth or how Israel runs our nation but I dont wanna lose my job or get arrested.

So pretty much never.

new topics

join