It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take the day off, and ruin the world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Ok so I think this is the correct spot to post this question in, and my searches did not really definitively answer my question. I am still curious though, so here goes.

What would happen if everyone in one place was to take the same day off? Whether locally in a community, or globally, what would happen? Nothing would get accomplished, and problems would have to go unfixed for a whole day. Let's say only trash collectors took the day off, would trash accumulate so badly in just one day? What if everyone at a news station took off, would the news cease to exist for a whole day?

I mean, obviously if there were no cops or emergency response teams then the country could be in trouble very easily, but what if all the jobs people take advantage of ceased to exist for a whole day? If no gas stations were running, not many people could even commute very far, if only for one day. What if no wal-mart operated for one whole day?

It's just something to contemplate, I would enjoy listening to what ATSers have to say about this. What do you think would happen?

I am already prepared for this to turn to some Occupy debate, though realize I am not prodding the conversation in that direction.
edit on 14-11-2011 by PhysicsAdept because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Interesting question.
First of all many many people would wake up to the simple but often overlooked fact that they do not just go to work, they are completely enslaved by it. Their lives and perceived notions of freedom are an illusion despite the whole system not crashing if they didn't turn up which they wrongly assume it is more about having to be somewhere at a particular time so someone can account for your presence.

How many people have found themselves at work doing absolutely nothing but still having to be present?
We have been conditioned into accepting these chains and huge debts that we are forced to undertake (to succeed) merely wrap the chains tighter.
Throughout my career I have often been amazed at the fact that often I was producing nothing, creating nothing, just being there because I had to pay for my luxuries that I didn't really need at all.

Most people view their servitude as empowerment and the chains of their lifestyles as being freedom.
Fear is at the bottom of it, fear of losing your job, fear of not being able to afford payments on a ridiculous car, fear of your peers disapproval. People amass stuff that they don't need thinking it will bring happiness and spend their lives pursuing money to buy this crap, meanwhile they can miss so much.

The whole system is slavery based on fear, no wonder people are unhappy and stressed/depressed.
So OP most people would be too afraid to join your protest.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by HumansEh

That is a logical response. People are afraid, no doubt. Think about how odd the outcome would be though. People overcoming their fear of debt to repay the people who control society through true action.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

Oh it would be fantastic, it would truly be an emancipation, but sadly the fear is deep and the system is too ingrained and pervasive for people to stand up. All the other rowers on the slave ship will shout down the one who stands.
I have lived without a bank account for example since 2008 and it makes life quite difficult. Many services are closed to me and without a direct debit service I cannot get insurance for my car, Life insurance and a college savings plan for my children is a non runner, and other little things that banks have made us rely on them for.
I don't care anymore but not many people I know could handle life without being plugged firmly into the system.
The fear is strong.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

You know, people who say these kinds of things never account for the fact that some people, more than you think, enjoy doing work, and even enjoy the work they're employed to do. But no, of course. They're all slaves.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
My husband works for a trash company.. Sadley, they would just have to pick it ALL up the next day..

Second line... They only get paid like 35 cents for dumping your dumpster... Depends on the yards...

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cetaphobic

Well yes I think even I could fit in there to an extent. If everything works out one day, I will be a Physicist. I will be a slave to science, and I will love it. I would go to work each and every day to study thermodynamics and entropy, I would live for seeing numbers in action and graphs connecting the world on a deeper level than of basic understanding of the universe... but in that sense I would go to work for myself and science, not the money. I have already decided to pick a job without paying attention to the monetary numbers associated.

But herein lies the problem... the gov forces me to make X amount of money just to survive. So obviously, I will need to work to live so to speak, instead of live to work as I could only wish. I think we can all kinda agree here though that fear really is the premise behind people's lack of action. Whether it comes down to Occupy protests or merely resting a sore body, people refuse to take off work so they can live. I think perhaps I have slightly skewed from the original topic, my apologies.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Idk kno where you live.. But I have car ins.. Havent dealt with banks since 2003...

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

..........................................................................................................................
Well PhysicsAdept, that is a pretty "large bone" that you have thrown out here, for us to chew on!

Depending upon how it happened, it probably would not "ruin the world. But there is one way I can think of that could bring us pretty close to only a few left to work. That would be a situation whereby there was absolutely "no electric power". There is just not much that happens in developed countries without electrical power support.

Flip the switch! Power is off! No manufacturing! No lights at home or business. No signal lights! No cash register operations, and thus very few sales!, No internet! No TV! No Radio, thus no broadcast news! No air traffic control! Probably very few, if any commercial flights! No gas pump operation! No air traffic radar. No Weather radar! No restaurant business! No schools/colleges open! No electric at home for cooking! No electric for pumping water to homes or businesses. Those who are away from home have no way to get back home! No credit card purchases! Likely, no banking! No stock market activity! No oil imports. No refinery activity. No Postal Service! No newspaper service! Probably, no telephone service, and thus no emergency calls for 911/fire/ambulance/police! No refrigeration for food! No heat or cooling for homes or businesses! No politics! Significantly difficulty in waging war!

Almost everything would be No! No! No! And No! I am sure each of you can think of other No's to put on the list! One day without electricity, while difficult and bad, "probably would not ruin the world". What would two days do? How about three days? How about a week? What about a month to .....................................................??????? How do we get just food and/or water???

Somewhere in this, the people directly involved will be into "getting ruined" along with almost every aspect of society function! Chaos will be very likely, and the very worst in man's ability to pursue survival should be expected, and planned for, IMHO!

PhysicsAdept, with the continuing frequent news regarding the possible impact on earth power grids from a large coronal mass ejection from the sun, it makes one wonder about whether such an event as you mention might be a very real possibility?????

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Well that is exactly is going to happen in the UK shortly. All Public Sector paid workers are going on a one day stoppage over their pensions being cut. It will be interesting to see what impact it will have on the economy and any long lasting damage it does to it.

All public sector paid workers relates to the following:

Nurses, Doctors, Firefighters, Library Staff, Council Workers, Museum Workers, Clerical Workers, Dinner Staff, Teachers, Head Teachers, NHS funded Dentists.Question mark over the Police though! And that list is just a tip of the iceberg.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

If politicians took the day/week/month/year/decade off, it'd probably SAVE the world!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yay!

Maybe they should just take off and never go back. That would definitely save the world.

Star for you

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Hmm interesting! It sure will be interesting to see how that changes things. By any chance do you have a date on that?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

The mass One day strike will take place on, let me check for you.On the 30th of November. The UK well most off their public services will come to a halt!

99% Of the Schools in the UK will be closed.

UNION bosses rallied workers this week at a meeting to galvanise forces ahead of the public sector strike on November 30 in a bid to show that unions will “speak with one voice” against the coalition government.

The one-day period of strike action across public services has been planned as a protest against the government’s plans to cut public sector pension plans.

As per usual the Government are saber rattling and scare mongering. Even hinting that the Strikers do a mock 15 minute walk out so they would not loose a full days pay. The UK Coalition Government are really sinking that low.

London Today

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Very awesome. I suppose we shall see in one week! Of course the government resorts to fear mongering--they've been doing it since the beginning of the first government's existence (they have enough practice). Besides, if the government actually tried to reach a compromise or helped those who feel oppressed... wouldn't that mean they have sunk down to our level? They then take the appearance of being compassionate human beings... they wouldn't want that now would they? Where would the pleasure in their day come from after that?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Oh they already have. Claiming that major airports in the UK will have its air traffic restricted. Since most if not all of the Immigration staff are going on strike. They are trying to bring in untrained civil servants to cover the strikers. But the middle managers are not having it. They are also refusing to work on the strike day.

Off course the Mainstream media are also yanking up the rhetoric fear mongering also.

They are also rumors that the Military will be put on standby to protect UK Borders. Ums they cant protect the sea shores since they don't have enough naval ships, how are they going to protect the borders

The Unions are prepared to rank up the protests also. By having more strikes in the coming months.

Heathrow airport has asked airlines to halve the number of passengers they fly into the airport next week to try to minimise disruption caused by a strike.

Its operator BAA warned of "gridlock" and said passengers could face 12-hour delays on Wednesday when immigration officers go on strike over pensions.

BBC News
edit on 25-11-2011 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join