It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Body Armor For When The SHTF

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

some armor is better then no armor at all

i disagree - it sends out all the wrong signals

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
yes, but i dont know to many people who even have 30-06. its not a common size and if they do have it there only going to have a few boxes of ammo. some armor is better then no armor at all

It's one of the most popular sporting rounds in America.

If you were to go house to house scavenging up here I guarantee you'd find plenty of it.

They might not be at the range with it every Sunday but it comes out every November to drop a deer or two.

Today, the .30-06 is No. 1 in sales among all big-game cartridges with the major ammunition manufacturers, and it is seldom out of the top five most popular chamberings among builders of bolt-action rifles. link

edit on 15-11-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Actually the damage done to your organs is fairly minimal with heavier armour. A friend of mine was shot in Afghan and his BA saved him. HE just had bruised ribs which hurt, but it certainly isn't life threatening. Also is the round does go through the armour it keeps everything inside your body so your chances of surviving are better. Just like a soldier does get used to wearing it, you will be a much more intimidating target to armed attackers as well if they have to worry about getting through your armour. If I see you with armour and rifle in hand I am certainly guna go look for a weaker victim!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Only if you are alone! If you are prepared then if you are hit your buddies will check you're ok while the others shoot the SOB who shot you

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious...you will be a much more intimidating target to armed attackers as well if they have to worry about getting through your armour. If I see you with armour and rifle in hand I am certainly guna go look for a weaker victim!

That's something I didnt consider. The appearance of a "hard target" as a deterrent.

Though, I suppose to certain individuals that "hard target" could just as easily be an attractant.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

some armor is better then no armor at all

i disagree - it sends out all the wrong signals

It sends the wrong signal? please explain in the post SHTF world how BA sends the wrong signal? Especially when doing look out duties on your own land

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by camaro68ss
yes, but i dont know to many people who even have 30-06. its not a common size and if they do have it there only going to have a few boxes of ammo. some armor is better then no armor at all

It's one of the most popular sporting rounds in America.

If you were to go house to house scavenging up here I guarantee you'd find plenty of it.

They might not be at the range with it every Sunday but it comes out every November to drop a deer or two.

Today, the .30-06 is No. 1 in sales among all big-game cartridges with the major ammunition manufacturers, and it is seldom out of the top five most popular chamberings among builders of bolt-action rifles. link

edit on 15-11-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

I stand corrected. I just wend off personal experience and have not seen to many 30-06 around.

Hey we learn something new everyday

but then again i live in california where its almost illegal to own a BB gun so....

edit on 15-11-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

That was tong or check, Because most people only think of armoring the front chest area (to save weight) and forget the back and if or when someone has to fallback well their 6 is exposed to any and all forms shrap,. lead and who knows what else. I learned that in sofa when a peace of shrap hit me in the mid back area 4 inchs from my spine. I apologize for the post it wasn't meant that way.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by generik

Where would you suggest purchasing a good, fitted chainmail shirt?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Yes to body armor as shown in the LA shoot out it can be a game changer. However, you have to evaluate what you are doing. Like some of you know once you load out you can get very heavy and hot. In a survival situation weighing 300lbs because of equipment can be just as dangerous as walking aroung with a bullseye on your face. I dont like being burdened (especially in my 50s) so I opt for cutting weight anyway I can and rely on deviousness. In my case its a load bearing harness which holds 6 mags and large butt pack. Underneath is a class II soft vest (just in case I screw up). If I need to go heavy them my three day ruck goes over it all. Pretty much standard load out. I could go with more armor including plates, but what is my purpose. I am not doing a DA (direct action) mission; in fact just the opposite, Im trying to avoid contact. I want to be fast and mobile when possible.
Do I think vest are necessary?Absolutly, do I think you can waste a lot of money? Absolutly. You can still get a good class two for $ 200 bucks new. So unless you plan on assulting my redoubt save your money and invest in dehydrated rations.
Just my opinion

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

From the sounds of it up be in jail soon anyways and guess what they have big big walls protectin you lol ...............the new British military version is pretty good but you'll dip deep in the pocket for it

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Get yourself ripped and then start moving about in this rig:

Realistically isn't there the an armour you can make by stitching it onto your own clothing??

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join