It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halo Around the Moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I was walking outside with a friend of mine and looked up and saw a big circle around the moon. It looked like a Halo and there were clouds around this PERFECT circle but in the circle it was perfectly clear. Anybody else see this tonight??? It was around 2 AM Central Time.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Puppet27Master

That's what happens when light refracts off water vapor/crystals in the atmosphere. Usually it indicates rain/snow or dense fog will likely be coming as a front moves in (thus pushing moisture through the atmosphere) which typically brings the higher humidity/precipitation. You see Moon Halos pretty often, Sun Halos are more rare, but whenever I see one I usually assume it's going to rain. Which being in the NW I assume it will probably rain every day anyways....

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
When we looked up I felt a surge of energy. Yesterday was 11/11/11 so didn't know if this had any significance. All I know is that isn't an every night occurrence and was simply amazing!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Yeah i saw it to.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Say a post today I will try to find for you..."Ionosphere Found on the moon" The moon doesn't have an atmosphere so it shouldn't have an Ionosphere, no vapor or such exists there...but somehow it has one and in telescopes it appears as a type mist sort of...interesting stuff. they think it is caused by dust.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Puppet27Master
I was walking outside with a friend of mine and looked up and saw a big circle around the moon. It looked like a Halo and there were clouds around this PERFECT circle but in the circle it was perfectly clear. Anybody else see this tonight??? It was around 2 AM Central Time.

i was out side about an hour ago having a smoke and i looked up and seen the halo around it also. its funny cus i was thinking about making a thread about it,lol. the halo was the biggest and brightest i have seen.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Yesterday was 11/11/11 so didn't know if this had any significance.

None at all.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Not that odd of a thing really....Try This next time....

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
This happens all the time, in fact I saw it last night as well. A Halo around the moon is Perfectly normal.

Actually Sun Dogs are caused in the same way as the sun is low in the sky and the light is refracted through moisture in the atmosphere. This gives the impression that there are two suns. Look at most footage closely and you often see a halo with these as well. It's rare though because conditions have to be just right.

There are many threads on ATS surrounding 2nd sun/Elenin/Nibiru etc which use a sun dog as the basis for their doomsday hypothesis but it's all nonsense. In fact sun dogs usually produce TWO extra suns as the light is bent either side of the actual sun.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
you mean something like this ? the pic was taken by iphone so the quality are not the best

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
This time of year when the altitudes are very cold it is common to see moon halos, the best ones are the rainbow halos, I see almost every time I go to Pittsburgh with a half to full moon out, though I don't think a half to full moon is required, just makes them more prominent. Most noticeable if you can see the moon while it's snowing too.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

If it was a full moon it's likely an illusion, the brightness of the moon shines through thin cloud layers, makes it look like a vortex or cloud void, and also would enhance the brightness of the clouds not in the line of sight between you and the moon but around it.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
These were from yesterday

Couldn't get a descend shot, was in a hurry.
Wasn't the best biggest halo i've seen, bu ti t was noticeable.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I remember seeing what you describe a few years ago. I was walking home around 10pm, there were no clouds in the night sky except for a thin ring forming a perfect circle around an almost full moon (could have been a full moon).

None of the photos posted match with what i saw.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Schaweet.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by intergalactic fire
Wasn't the best biggest halo i've seen

That's because it's technically not a halo but a lunar corona.

The coronae is much smaller than the 22° halo which can also ring the sun and moon. The corona also has nothing to do with the Sun's outer atmosphere visible during a total eclipse and confusingly given the same name.

Coronae are produced by the diffraction of light by tiny cloud droplets or sometimes small ice crystals.

Source: atoptics.co.uk

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Ok thanks,
So It's actualy the same, only the size of the 'halo' is different.
When does it create a 22degrees halo and when a lunar corona?

Edit: Never mind found it.

Halo caused by refraction
Corona caused by diffraction

edit on 12-11-2011 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

Yes, that's the main difference.

No worries, and good to see someone researching for themselves

new topics

top topics

join