It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The widening wealth gap, Maryland now the richest state in the US.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

According to Phoenix Marketing International, a global marketing firm, 7.22 percent of Maryland households are millionaires. Hawaii: 7.21 percent. Yes, I realize how close this competition is. But think about how far we’ve come: In 2006, Maryland millionaires made up 6.21 percent of households.

But the news about Maryland’s moneybags (referring to liquid assets) comes as the country is grappling with questions about the widening wealth gap between the rich and everyone else.

washingt onpost

Phoenix Marketing analysts found that the percentage of millionaires increased in each of the top 10 states this year, showcasing that the wealthiest are in fact getting wealthier.

washingtonexaminer

This statement totally burns me up:

Recognized as one of the nation's leading financial advisers, Ric Edelman is part of the so-called "1 percent" that has drawn the ire of protesters at McPherson Square and other Occupy encampments sprouting up across the country.

He's hardly apologetic for his success.

"The rich are getting richer -- there's no question," he said. "Rich people know how to get rich and they know how to stay rich. The poor are getting poorer but instead of getting angry they should try emulating [the wealthy]."

Read more at the Washington Examiner: washingtonexaminer.com...

Let me guess, he isn't going to tell us how.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
COMMUNICATING THREATS OF VIOLENCE ON ATS…
edit on Mon Nov 7 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

One way would be to spend less time complaining about Ric Edelman and investigating how he obtained his wealth...and then copy that...if he did, you can do it...

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Maryland is the richest state and so close to DC... Coincidence?
I think not!

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jeichelberg

Well give it a shot and let me know how it turns out.

Statements like he made are absurd and elitist because you can't have an economy with all teh wealth distributed. If everyone was able to be make money, then no one would be rich.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by imawlinn

One of the articles mentions that it may not be a coincidence. If you can be rich in Hawaii or rich in Maryland, where would you choose? lol

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by theovermensch

You have in your signature a sentence concerning the rise in gang activity and why it occurs...and then you postulate the 1% want to "hang from a rope?" who would carry out such an activity, except for a gang of ruthless thugs...Your signature is, I thought at first, a statement to spur on the ability of people to think and seek out worthwhile activity...Looking at Ric Edelman's statement, without viewing the entire context, is essentially the same as your signature...at least the way I understand it...

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Well give it a shot and let me know how it turns out.

Statements like he made are absurd and elitist because you can't have an economy with all teh wealth distributed. If everyone was able to be make money, then no one would be rich.

I am working on it...and I am confident I will be as successful as my abilities and talent will take me...I will not fail because of someone else...

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Furthermore, your post indicates you have no desire to be, "rich," in the sense of Ric Edelman...This would indicate to me you believe that being rich is, "evil." Is this correct?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

No, I just think there is a certain amount of luck, and you have to be able to put your intentions before any morals. Do I think a lot of rich people are evil? Yes. but does being rich make you evil? No.
And not a lot of people, myself included, have the intuition to get there. I am not a very good opportunist.
It is more about being realistic.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Okay, I can appreciate that...Do you happen to know what Ric Edelman does for a living?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

He is a successful financial advisor, isn't here? Do I feel a lesson coming on?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Actually no...no lesson here...I was just wondering how you jive his occupation with your closing statement on your first post? As a successful financial adviser, it would seem to me he is giving out the answer and the answer is so right, people are paying him for it...

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
The "wealthy" are in Maryland because Maryland is to a great extent a suburb of Washington D.C. - where the money is. If the federal government ever shrinks, which it will have to at some point, Maryland will be hurting. People will have to move to states with real jobs.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: washingtonexaminer.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jacobe001

So if federal workers are not working real jobs, then what jobs are they doing?

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I am not jiving his occupation. I think his statement is ignorant and callous. What information is he giving that would help anybody?
Behave like the rich? How does one suddenly get the education and saavy to become rich? Exactly how do you start?

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Jiving means equating...you made this statement..."Let me guess, he isn't going to tell us how." Well, since he is a successful financial advisor, that means he is obviously telling people very good ways to invest their money, making them wealthy or wealthier...And whether you deem his words or callous or not, it is in large part true...it takes time and effort to be wealthy...regardless of what people think or want to believe...

new topics

top topics

join