It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Bible a Prediction or Allegory of the OWS Movement?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I'll give a few examples now and more later as it is getting late and I must now "Occupy" my bed. The book in question is the Book of Acts.

Acts 2 45-47
"Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the lord added to their number daily those who were being saved."

Act 4 3-4
"They seized Peter and John, and because it was the evening, they put them in jail until the next day. But many who heard the message believed, and the number of men grew to about 5000"

That's just two, there are many more I'll share tomorrow. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
amazing how usa people are trained to be so etnocentric that actually believe that every religiuos book or prophecy in the history of the world is usa related.

hope you discover some day that there is a whole planet out there, and its citicens couldn´t care less about usa.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mastercanto

I didn't see "USA" anywhere in the OP.

I think the OP was talking about the dynamics of the OWS movement in general and drawing a correlation between the activity that has occurred surrounding this movement and Biblical descriptions of that movement, long ago.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MegasAlexandros

maybe....?

if successful, the new religion will be called the OWAH, YAHWEH will be a thing of the past.

edit on 7-11-2011 by Thurisaz because: YAHWEH

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MegasAlexandros
I'll give a few examples now and more later as it is getting late and I must now "Occupy" my bed. The book in question is the Book of Acts.

Acts 2 45-47
"Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the lord added to their number daily those who were being saved."

Act 4 3-4
"They seized Peter and John, and because it was the evening, they put them in jail until the next day. But many who heard the message believed, and the number of men grew to about 5000"

That's just two, there are many more I'll share tomorrow. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

...these things in no way reflect OWS. They are a reflection of the early church (which is what Acts is about). These passages are not allegorical, nor are they prophetic; they are literal history.

Even a cursory glance at OWS would show you that even in the best circumstances, none of the things listed above are happening during those protests... nor are they motivated nor upheld in any way, shape or form by spiritual things, much less a belief in Christ.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Those verses are not an allegory and the scriptures are clearly describing events of the early church.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Every year, something happens around the world that could sound like a parallel to those scriptures.

Every week or two, someone posts something acting like it's a fulfilled scripture. And every scripture has been 'fulfilled' over and over by now.

The bible is a big book, we're on a big planet. There's plenty room for coincidences, parallels, and 'fulfillment' of prophecies. Same is true with every other religious text that makes ambiguous statements.

I mean, just look at Nostradamus. Most people think he was a nut, and yet all his predictions have managed to come true one way or another. Not because he had any foresight, but because any vague prediction will inevitably come true with time.

I could do the same thing, and make a list of vague predictions. Likely thing is, they'd all come true within my lifetime.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

If you want a picture of this verse, watch this video through. There is a difference between taking and giving. The video is a documentary of a former drug user turned Christian recording artist. The verse you quote in Acts requires a changed heart and a life that is turned away from taking from the world. Giving is the point of this change and is then reflected in the impact a life can have on the world through the love of Christ. Compare this to the second video of the protesters heart of hate. Feel free to skip around in the first video to get the point. At 37:00, it shows the community living and sharing together.

edit on 7-11-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-11-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

Isn't the Citizens who live in the US now, descendants of one of the 12 Tribes of Israel? If so then a part of what is in the Bible does apply to the USA.

But I will agree however, not every verse in the Bible applies to the US.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

You are a person who lives and breaths for these occupy moments and events, and now entering a slippery slope with all of this..

If anyone should no better it is you, because:

RELIGION SHOULD HOLD NO PLACE IN THE GOVERNMENT. So to suggest that it should have anything to do with an occupy movement just goes to show that you have absolutely no friggin idea what you go on about!

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

Where did you get that interpretation. That is a new one on me.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by celticdog

For a good explanation of where some of the ten tribes ended up the below booklet is very informative.

www.thetrumpet.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">The United States and Britian in Prophecy

Something to remember that many people fail to grasp is that when the bible speaks of Israel, its is refering to the lost tribes and not the country of Israel. When the bible speaks of the tribe of Judah, it is speaking of the modern country of Israel.
edit on 29-10-2011 by triune because
no reason given)

The US and the UK are in Bible Prophecy. Wither it can be disputed or not, that is the other question.

Link provided below:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 9-11-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

Isn't the Citizens who live in the US now, descendants of one of the 12 Tribes of Israel?

No.
Not even remotely.
This was an assertion of Joseph Smith (founder of mormonism) who claimed that the USA had played host to an ancient "lost tribe" of Israel, who had huge empires, fought a massive civil war, and exterminated one another...
all of which is entirely untrue, and utterly unsubstantiated by any history, archaeology or anthropology. The USA in no way relates to Israel.
edit on 9-11-2011 by Awen24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Alright, I'm back. Just to let you guys know, I'm not Christian, and I'm not stating this as fact. I just thought it was very interesting that the far Christian right, who ironically supported wars in the Middle East on religious pretenses, are now denouncing the Occupy Movement, although if one were to read the Bible on their own, they would most likely conclude that Jesus would be among the protesters if he were currently alive.
I was reminded of this passage by a Baptist Minister at a church dodgeball event. I didn't go to that church, but when he read said passage, it instantly struck a chord, so I asked him about. We got to talking, and when asked, he said he hadn't heard about the OWS protests, so I told him a little bit about it, and he is now a full supporter.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by supine

You are a person who lives and breaths for these occupy moments and events, and now entering a slippery slope with all of this..

If anyone should no better it is you, because:

RELIGION SHOULD HOLD NO PLACE IN THE GOVERNMENT. So to suggest that it should have anything to do with an occupy movement just goes to show that you have absolutely no friggin idea what you go on about!

Hahaha, what the heck are you talking about? This makes no sense! I realize religion should have no place in Government, I never said, nor remotely implied that is should. Why don't you rephrase this in something besides Jared Laughtner english.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Alright, I'm back. Just to let you guys know, I'm not Christian, and I'm not stating this as fact. I just thought it was very interesting that the far Christian right, who ironically supported wars in the Middle East on religious pretenses, are now denouncing the Occupy Movement, although if one were to read the Bible on their own, they would most likely conclude that Jesus would be among the protesters if he were currently alive.

If you were a big face(Church Leader, politician, ect), *some* people would have agreed and believed it. Or, if the point you were making included some form of personal gain to be had for believing.

Ultimately, the trick you were trying to use does work. People follow that logic over a lot of things(Such as end times predictions.) However, since they have no motivation to believe in this case, they won't follow the logic here.

If you would have given a pro or anti OWS spin on it. Such as concluded that the bible predicted it'd work, or fail, it would've been more likely to get a believer or two. Those who already hold sentiments towards OWS would be more likely to believe logic that confirmed their already held beliefs. Much more persuasive to have 'God' agree with your subjective feelings and make them objective, than for 'God' to make a neutral reference.

Imagine for example, someone saying that Armageddon will come in 2127. No matter how much evidence they will provide, they couldn't gain as much support as Harold Camping got despite no evidence behind it. Why? People wanted the world to end, they had an incentive to believe. An appeal to emotion.

There is psychology behind making people believe things. You're experiment false short. While I'm not saying that you could convince most christians by making changes like such, you could convince some. Though most christians do succumb to some sort of similar illogical appeal for their beliefs, it's more subtle than that. And not all do though, there are a genuine few who actually examine their beliefs in a scientific way, not so easily persuaded. Those are the nice ones to talk to.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The Bible is a book that illustrates what happens when you get a bunch of people together and try to believe in something, then it all goes to crap. The Jews are abandoned by God and their Temple is destroyed because they come up with the Commandments, but just can't realistically stick with them. The Apostles end up scattered to the winds and hoping for some kind of resurrection because they betrayed their leader and let him be killed.

I don't think it's a good allegory for OWS, because OWS never really got organized enough to be even partially successful to begin with. You need to have at least something like success before it all goes haywire. OWS has never had that.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

The only way USA and Britain might be in the bible would the in Daniels vision on the statue with the feet of clay.All the empires and the feet of iron and clay are the anglo/american world power according to one interpretation.All the tribes split and became the king of Judah and the kingdom of Israel

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Today's headlines about the mid-east are relevant to the books of Daniel, and Revelation. Don't think anything in the US has relevance.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

"Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need.

Obviously they haven't since they are taking videos with their cell phones,Tweeting, and posting to Facebook....

What a ridiculous thread.....

new topics

top topics

join