It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Care to enlighten on solutions to misleading, non-working links

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Lately on ATS I have noticed that most who says the Link is broken, added wrong, doesn't work, ETC... I have never been to one that doesn't. So, I feel that I am the only one that has the magical power to open them?

I am wondering if some of the ATS users are properly installing the correct and usable programs and software on their computers. I am just saying because I see too many wasted reply posts, " your link doesn't work, broken, etc." I want to solutions, that when I search for the truth I am not scrolling through 30 post to the OP that it "does not work."

Anyone else feeling me? I am getting ready to post a few new threads about things in Alaska, but maybe after posting this I may learn a few tricks to linking correctly. Anyone with Hints, shortcuts, or out-in-the-open ways of doing it..

Yes, yes. I know that there are ATS MOD's that have directions to the ways to link, but bringing it up again may help out more ATS'ers, just trying to help. I'm just human, I make mistakes too!

BTW MOD's, if this is in the wrong forum, please correct me or move, thank you..

Much love
edit on 6-11-2011 by AK907ICECOLD because: Added for MOD's help, possibly, thank you.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

Maybe by the time you click on the 'broken link' it has been corrected by the original poster because someone had pointed out it was broken? Just a thought

edit on 6-11-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Thank you, you are a person that looks for solutions, that's one. I would like to see more replies to this.

I'm am not to big on the S&F's, but in search to make the truth easier to accept, and a solution to get it faster.
I hope that more post to this to make a voice for not just myself , but for others. That's what were here for right,
TO LEARN!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I know that as 10 ATS'ers write, and then post, they post. I am just saying that its meaningless chatter, and there is solution out there, I would like to here a way in which it can be diminished in a fast and collective way to stay on track of the topic? The Hints... etc.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
If you see a broken link, sometimes members post them correctly later, as was mentioned.
Mods can always be alerted to fix them too.

Contacting Staff: Alerts, Suggestions, Complaints

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
From what I've noticed of broken links it is usually due to one thing. Well 2. People don't use the link button when they make their post AND the link contains "special character" which the forum software then tries to interpret/display as something else but "breaks" the link. This is most obvious when part of the link is displayed as regular text. I've done it a couple of times myself till I realised what was going on. I now make it a point to check all links I post after the fact, to make sure they really do work, but using the "link" button seems to work every time.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
using the "link" button seems to work every time.
Using the link feature does indeed help in most cases, but not all. I posted one example where that didn't work here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That link was using the wayback machine, for content that was once on the internet, but has since been removed, which can be quite useful.

The solution in that case could be to use Tinyurl link, as discussed in that thread.

Alternatively you could tell people to click "Reply" and copy and paste the link into their browser, if you don't want to use Tinyurl.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thanks for the heads up. Fortunately I don't tend to post too many links on here but I can see how the wayback machine would be a good one to have.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Thank you all for your advice and replies, I hope that its not just me gaining everyone's help

Much Love,

Again thanks ATS'ers

top topics

join