It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federally-Funded Street Lights Capable of “Recording Conversations"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Federally-funded high-tech street lights now being installed in American cities are not only set to aid the DHS in making “security announcements” and acting as talking surveillance cameras, they are also capable of “recording conversations,” bringing the potential privacy threat posed by ‘Intellistreets’ to a whole new level.

Not only can the street lights, now being rolled out in Detroit, Chicago and Pittsburgh with Department of Energy backing, act as surveillance cameras, Minority Report-style advertising hubs, and Homeland Security alert systems, they are “also capable of recording conversations,” reports ABC 7.

www.infowars.com...

When are we going to say enough is enough with the increasing presence of an all out, technological, police state surveillance grid? This is the stuff of dream's for a ruling class elite and the stuff of nightmares for a people who wish to live freely. At one time, this was considered extreme, that it could never happen, not here, not in America. Yet, here it is, happening right in front of our eyes. Some people seem to think this is a good thing, which to me, is even more frightening. Let's hear some thoughts from ATSer's

note: I can't embed videos, so if someone could embed the video from the article it would be much appreciated.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Enough! Okay I said it. Say anything you want but the truth is governments do whatever the hell governments want to do. I agree it has gotten out of control with surveillance everywhere. I reached a point a few years back where I just decided I'm living my life the way I always have and let it be taped in any form the ones with the money want. I could care less and if I knew I was being viewed or listened to I would tell them in no certain terms where they can go.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Simply....WOW

This is becoming..., well.. lets just say it, CRAZY

I wont elaborate on the subject, for every time I break it down, the conversation quickly ends, or the thread gets moved to a different location in which it will draw no attention.

I will say this... Just about every single science fiction or government conspiracy style movie is becoming the reality in which we live in.

Do the people developing these technologies not understand what they are to be used for?

"Oh, but it's for the interest of National Security"

STOP PRETENDING TO PROTECT US! simply put...

Just because it's simply justifiable in terms of 'protecting people' today, it is tomorrows tool for a Tyrant!
What is not understood here?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Wow....So when using public streets you are now susceptible of being recorded......This is outrageous!!! So this will "control" your freedom of speech, you will no longer be able to express your dis-concerns about the Government in public in fear of being recorded and that conversation being used against you in court.

EX: I hate this fu#$%$% Gov. I wish someone would just blow the damn place up so we could start over!!"

Nest thing you know, you are recorded, tracked and one day....ding dong " Oh Mr Smith, please come with us, we have some questions for you..."

Sucks !!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Fox Molder

No worries, just don't EVER express your personal opinions about our government, and when you simply must talk about these things, only do so in educational manner.

Like this, for example!:

edit on 11/1/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
LOL!

I hadn't thought of that! They are taking it to the next level!

Be afraid, be very afraid.

I won't cry for them when the people can't take anymore.
edit on 1-11-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Molder
Wow....So when using public streets you are now susceptible of being recorded......This is outrageous!!! So this will "control" your freedom of speech, you will no longer be able to express your dis-concerns about the Government in public in fear of being recorded and that conversation being used against you in court.

EX: I hate this fu#$%$% Gov. I wish someone would just blow the damn place up so we could start over!!"

Nest thing you know, you are recorded, tracked and one day....ding dong " Oh Mr Smith, please come with us, we have some questions for you..."

Sucks !!!!

Well....
First and foremost, your words after 'EX': is exactly what will lead to "Mr. Fox Molder, please come with us, we have some questions for you"

Also, could that be what 2012 is all about? 'start over' as it were...

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Who the 'eff is standing around under streetlights waiting for important announcements? Just check to see what political donations the streetlight maker has made. That will tell you all you need to know.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
That"s right people! Let off your steam and when you are done return back to your regular schedulled programming.
edit on 1-11-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Two comicbook geeks walking down the street.

and than we would kill the president and nuke some foreign country.... it would be soooo cool....

Secret service: You are under arrest for conspiring to kill the president....

And then we could draw the evil villain looking like Oprah....

Mistakes are easily made....

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
No need to fight the warrant-less phone taps now huh?

This is what I have been warning my friends and family about and they all said I was crazy. Who's crazy now?

I believe that a lot of members here have also told their loved ones about this type of citizen surveillance.

I truly hope people start ripping these things out of the sidewalk or start using them for target practice.

Peace

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Merlin Lawndart

This can be trumped by state law. In my state you are not allowed to record anyone without their permission.

And yes, they do enforce it. My state is home to the NSA, who listens to conversations around the campus but still doesn't record.
edit on 1-11-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I think this article here describes the capabilities of this system.

It is located here Big Brother is watching: Fears over 'homeland security' streetlights that can record your conversations and track your movements

Like something out of a sinister Orwellian vision of the future, streetlights with the ability to monitor conversations and announce government warnings are being installed on American streets. As part of a federally-funded project, manufacturers Illuminating Concepts have begun installing the system, dubbed 'Intellistreets' in the town of Farmington Hills, Michigan.

At least we know one city where they are being installed. Where else?
edit on 1-11-2011 by FarmerGeneral because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Merlin Lawndart

An Orwellian security measure straight out of 1984 only gets 5 flags? This is huge!

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
this isnt anything i havent seen before.
i know the area that i live in has "crime cameras" on various street corners.but i remember reading an article about them being shut down because of how little results they showed

www.nola.com...

this is probably just a way for some people to make a quick buck

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Well I guess we all need this to fight terrorism.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Cassius666

The ignorant masses will accept every single unconstitutional security measure as long as there is some vague connection to fighting terrorism.

"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither" -- Ben Franklin

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Remember this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

123 lies of alex jones, one of them was spy street lights. I guess the thread had to be changed to 123 truths of alex jones.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This is beyond out of control.

new topics

top topics

join