It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Dengue Pandemic incoming? (Well not without misquitos, but it's time to practice good flu se

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I'm going to be sheepish here for not looking at the transmission vector, evidently you need a mosquito bite to catch Dengue... But I'm going to let the post stand for one reason.

If you don't start worrying about avoiding the flu now, it won't help later.

(You can ignor this section if you like, but even I will say I wasn't paying attention to the transmission vector and that I am humbled by not catching this mistake.)
outbreaks.globalincidentmap.com...

OK, I'm going to preface this by saying I'm not exactly convinced the Global Incidents . com site is the best to reference against. However, I am going to mark this info map as 'disturbing.'

Dengue Fever lights up the Global Incident Map pretty hard.

Dengue Fever is hitting Pakistan 'hard,' (Hard in there are more than 50 deaths reported) and there are tons of flights from there to the rest of the world. Turning off everything else in the 'outbreaks filter' (eg everything but Dengue) and I can see several locations with regular air traffic, Africa, Taiwan, Cambodia, Marsha Islands, India, Cayman Islands, Florida, already recording 'hits.'

There also seems to be an out break of encephalitis flaring up in the same region of the map.

Evidently you need a mosquito to transmit the virus. But it's time to get ready to avoid the flu/cold bugs any how.

I think just to be safe, I'm going to say:

Start thinking about doing all the stuff you do normally for flu season NOW,
and start practicing it now.

Better an ounce of simple prevention, than a pandemic any day.

M.

YES, am am sheepishly sorry, about the post, but I do worry about virus pandemics killing us, than I do about HAARP. killing us. As Viri are more likely to actually kill us....

M.
edit on 31-10-2011 by Moshpet because: I made a mistake
It hapens.

edit on 31-10-2011 by Moshpet because: *hides face in shame.*

edit on 31-10-2011 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I will add that the mosquito responsible for Dengue is the Aedes Aegypti
A little black mosquito with white stripes on its legs.

The mosquito lives mainly in tropical subtropical regions and cooler climate regions really do not need to worry all that much.

Just thought I would add this bit to help stop the sky is falling members of our forum from wanting to destroy all areas where mosquitos live.
edit on 31-10-2011 by munkey66 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

The mosquito lives mainly in tropical subtropical regions and cooler climate regions really do not need to worry all that much.

Just thought I would add this bit to help stop the sky is falling members of our forum from wanting to destroy all areas where mosquitos live.

A true savior you are.

Not to mention the East Coast of the US has nothing to worry about for a bit ( during the skeery flu season).. they went from global warming to little ice age. Striped Dengue skeeters can stand the ice so I hear. Well unless the govt has genetically modified them ( the dreaded Hirsute Aedes Aegypti.. aka wooly mammoth death skeeter) or manufactured little skeeter sized sweaters.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I'll still stand by suggesting folks start practicing good hygiene to prevent against getting a cold NOW any ways
(Especially since most folks don't think about it until we've got swine flu scares running rampant.

(Even if you can't catch the Dengue with out a mosquito....)

Yeah, I may have jumped the gun a bit....
Live and learn

M.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Originally posted by munkey66

A true savior you are.

Not to mention the East Coast of the US has nothing to worry about for a bit ( during the skeery flu season).. they went from global warming to little ice age. Striped Dengue skeeters can stand the ice so I hear. Well unless the govt has genetically modified them ( the dreaded Hirsute Aedes Aegypti.. aka wooly mammoth death skeeter) or manufactured little skeeter sized sweaters.

I live in South Florida and in the past two years Dengue Fever has been found in the area, there have been 20 or so cases, three were serious, so don't think for a second "I can't happen here" because it can. I hate to be a bit of a buzz kill but knowledge is power, RE: Off with Deet and burning coils can greatly reduce your chances of exposure. Always be prepared and tread with caution.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Currently research is being done in my neck of the woods to eradicate dengue by using Wolbachia (bacteria which infects arthropod species)
Those interested can read further rather than me trying to explain.
Dengue research

top topics

join