It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter Storm Warning for Northeast, US

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

yes, all the meteorolgical historians and the army that runs the weather center are just making it up to spite you.

Really, you might want to go back and look at the facts before you claim a foot of snow in october, provide links please.
edit on 29-10-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Holy crap, it is snowing in Boston... About and inch so far but having trouble sticking to real wet ground.
I hate to date myself, but I remember a few Halloweens in childhood getting home with my booty and having to thaw it out before eating it... Snow however, nope.. Don't remember that happening.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I was right on the cusp so we had a very lovely day of constantly cycling between rain, sleet and snow. ICK

i went to pick my son up from his father who works at an auto parts store and he was putting out de icer. A lot of people don't understand is that we are not prepared for this early of a snow fall. We had to go find ice melter for the steps and scrounge up ice scrapers. so no one is prepared.

I hope everyone has power and no problems. If you have a hot tub or a woodstove going, I am jealous.
edit on 29-10-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I have Black Walnut trees in my yard. This year, there was a bumper crop of nut pods, and the squirrels were having a festival eating them and burying what was left. Perhaps a precursor to a bad winter. The last time this happened, was in 1978. Not good.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

You know what, I got a squirrel eating my halloween pumpkin. Never seen that before. This is pumpkin shrapnel all over the deck. Now how desperate does a squirrel have to be?

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

More evidence... I have never seen anything eat a pumpkin, unless it was in a pie.
Symbiotic: Long winters, walnuts, squirrels, and .... pumpkins!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Last week I decided to take my snow thrower apart and repair some worn parts and tune it up. I didn't want to procrastinate again and be caught needing it. I had one part left on back order and the dumb mail delivery person NEVER brings the packages down to my door, she leaves a note instead. This is what happened to me today.
Luckily the part of New England I live in is just getting pelted with heavy winds and freezing rain. I'd never think that October would be considered waiting too long to prepare for winter. I guess some could blame me for the storm.
If I bought a new snow thrower or bought a plow, it would be 65 degrees still.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by charlyv

You know what, I got a squirrel eating my halloween pumpkin. Never seen that before. This is pumpkin shrapnel all over the deck. Now how desperate does a squirrel have to be?

same here. I found my kids' pumpkin lids gnawed and dragged away all last week. I also noted that I did not see a single wild raspberry on my perimeter this year. I usually can nab a couple of pounds worth before the animals eat them all, but none this year.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I am located in new england for this rare snow storm, its timing surprises me, but I am posting here for a different reason. On multiple occasions tonight I have witnessed flashes of light in the sky. Most recently the flashes of light coincided with power outages long enough in duration to reset the time on my stove, microwave, and alarm clocks. The flashes vaguely remind me of lightning, yet there is no thunder. I have heard of heat lightning, but the heavy cloud cover and continuous precipitation seem to rule out that possibility (also heat lightning is seen in summer). The flashes are blue in color, but I am attributing that to the snow cover reflecting light.

I have never seen flashes like this during a snow storm, and I would like to know if anyone has experienced anything like this before, whether it was tonight or years ago. What exactly is going on? I am thinking it has to be lightning, but with no thunder it has to be very far off. At that distance its tough to believe the flashes are effecting my electricity delivery so quickly. Any insight or even common sense guesses would be greatly appreciated at this point.

I have a moderately educated background and am not easily swayed by non-logical conclusions but these occurances have left me scratching my head. Heavy snow will break branches and cause power outages, but wont result in flashes of light. Lightning results in flashes and power surges, but there is no thunder, and cloud cover prevents propogation of light flashes.

I am genuinely confused, what is going on 'round these parts?

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by IntegratedInstigator

The blue flashes of light are from transformers blowing out. I used to live near one that blew out quite often. If you live close enough you will hear an explosion. If not, you will just see the flash.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Now, there's no need for you to insult my level of education.

I said I was harsh and I'm sorry for making that reply.

Only the folks in the southern part of my state saw this snow. I'm in the northern part.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
We got about what was predicted. Many trees down and many power outages The amount is highly unusual for my area.Very heavy and wet snow. And side roads still covered. I expected it to melt. Plows were out in the whole area.
Small for a storm, but destructive.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Southeastern NE got about an inch or two of snow.
I expected just the freezing rain but got an inch of snow as of this morning.
This wasn't much, but it is just too early to be dealing with winter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join