It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20,000+ Evacuated After WW2 Bomb Found by Diggers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Hospitals, schools, and everyone within a 800 meter radius was evacuated today in Halle, Germany.

The detonators of many unexploded bombs dropped on Germany by the British and United States air forces 70 years ago have rusted away. However, disposal teams said the device found in the center of the city of Halle was still very dangerous.

wireupdate.com...

More than six decades after World War II, authorities believe there are still some 3000 bombs buried beneath the capital Berlin alone, and unexploded devices are regularly discovered in construction work.

www.nzherald.co.nz...

Makes you wonder how many more of these bombs are just lying dormat in ditches. Also, goes to show that war extends much further then the "end" of each war. We really have no plans to end war anytime just bury the last one in a ditch somewhere and hope the people forget.

War = Waste

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
would you rather be speaking german and goose stepping your way to work. i believe that was a justifiable war. but now america is just an invasion fleet, run by self serving elitists.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ImmortalThought

Does this mean construction workers get paid fairly over there?
That's kind of scary but what are you going to do, dig them all up? No thanks I'll pass on that job! That's just the downside to living in an area that's been urbanized for a long time.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
would you rather be speaking german and goose stepping your way to work. i believe that was a justifiable war. but now america is just an invasion fleet, run by self serving elitists.

I believe it was to. I should have been more clear as to the wars that are going on NOW.

Corporate america is slime

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

Does this mean construction workers get paid fairly over there?
That's kind of scary but what are you going to do, dig them all up? No thanks I'll pass on that job! That's just the downside to living in an area that's been urbanized for a long time.

I'll pass also, but a few decades from now how many more bombs will be put in the ground and found by maybe not someone who is as responsible? Thats just asking for trouble.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Ahhh...Unexploded WW2 bombs,the gift that keeps on giving

THeir found nearly all the time here in the uk,seen a case once of a huge ww2 era sea mine wash up on a beach

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ScottishBiker420

I know thats the truth. But a sad truth none the less.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Not wishing to change the topic of this thread,but if you think this is bad,what about the unknown number of active land mines skulking underground across the world!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ScottishBiker420

Not mad at you. Its a problem, I agree. But, maybe instead of my tax dollars being spent to place more mines in the water, rather, we use it to place more water in minds. Education is what I'm talking about. War births ignorance, if we make a TRUE effort to educate all, young to old, about what war really does to not just the individual but humanity as a whole.. well I think that is when we will see a collective consciousness reactivated.

Give a man fish you feed him for a day, teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

LONDON, April 27 (By Alex Lawler) - A North Sea oil pipeline which handles 40 percent of the UK's production may have to be shut down briefly later this year due to the discovery of an unexploded German mine from World War Two.

Oil from Forties is important for global markets as it usually sets the value of the Brent crude benchmark. Brent oil futures LCOc1 are trading above $124 a barrel and close to its highest since 2008.

Let's build an important pipeline before surveying.

Throws money in toilet and flushes...

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

Germany was a much better place to live in back then, than modern day America is. Germans were prosperous, living was cheap, life was good. Can't say the same for myself no matter how hard I work.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
www.landmineaction.org...

UXO
Explosive remnants of war’ is a broad term that includes all types of explosive weapons, including antipersonnel and anti-tank landmines, unexploded ordnance and abandoned explosive ordnance. This report is concerned with unexploded ordnance (UXO), comprising explosive weapons, other than landmines, in many different conditions: artillery shells, grenades, mortars, rockets and air-dropped bombs as well as explosive submunitions (or bomblets) that form the contents of cluster bombs.

UXO Accidents
UXO accidents generally result in the death or injury ofone or more people. Unlike many anti-personnel mines, which are designed to incapacitate rather than kill, accidents involving other explosive ordnance are more likely to kill primary victims (those people who actually initiate the explosion). Common UXO injuries include multiple traumatic amputations of limbs; burns; puncture wounds; lacerations from fragmentation; ruptured eardrums; and blindness from fragmentation or from the blast. At a greater distance from the blast, individuals are likely to suffer less concentrated puncture wounds from fragmentation. The range at which this can be lethal depends upon the particular weapon and can vary from tens to many hundreds of metres.

Fear
The prospect of death and injury creates fear. The presence of UXO can stop people from using land that would otherwise provide them with a resource, or it can lead to land being used less productively. Fear of UXO presents a serious obstacle to those overcoming the psychological trauma of war and may be a significant barrier to the establishment of peace.

I found the part on fear most interesting. The article goes on to show graphs and numbers of accidents and deaths. It talks about how UXO and mines effect much more then a death of a friend, family member, neighbor, or a loved one. The numbers keep piling up even after they have stopped their cenus. I hate cenus it sounds to much like sentence or life sentence to a system of numbered people. War is heavy and it never stops the bleeding.

I'm lucky to live where and how I do, I am allowed the freedom to forget about the reality of the world. We are all suffering seperated by degrees and merged by cenus. We all have to walk this life, why is my life anymore important then theirs. Feeding this war machine, pisses me off.

20,000 people had to be evacuated today because of a war that happened 6 decades ago. The fear continues in a time already filled with economic woes. Head in hand with fustrated *sigh*
edit on 27-10-2011 by ImmortalThought because: n/a

edit on 27-10-2011 by ImmortalThought because: (no reason given)

top topics

join