It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

rosat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
i hope this is correct forum for this,but it seems to be a current event!
does anyone know where nasa 'predicts' this satelite will land? a bit ago i heard maybe canada.
i also just read that there is a better chance of getting clobbered by this one than nasa's
any ideas?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Here's an article at space.com about ROSAT:

www.space.com...

The defunct 2.7-ton German ROSAT satellite is slated to make a fiery, uncontrolled re-entry to our atmosphere sometime Saturday or Sunday (Oct. 22 or 23). Experts say the broken-up bits of ROSAT have a roughly 1-in-2,000 chance of hitting someone somewhere on Earth.

DLR projections suggest that up to 30 individual ROSAT pieces, with a total mass of up to 1.7 tons, might reach Earth's surface. The satellite's X-ray optical system, or at least a chunk of it, could be the heaviest single component to reach the ground. The fragments that do hit Earth could be travelling as fast as 280 mph (450 kph).

The likelihood of a person getting injured as a result of the re-entry is still extremely low. The probability of someone somewhere on Earth getting hit is about 1 in 2,000. Those odds are for any one of the nearly 7 billion people on the planet.

Hope this helps!

If this falls on my property, I'm keeping it and it's going on E-bay, baby!!! :0)

NCB.

new topics

join