It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to have Moonbase by 2030

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Russia isn't rich but it is far ahead of many other countries when it comes to certain technologies, they still have some of the best scientists in the world. But imo it is China who will lead the way this century in regards to space travel, bases on the moon etc they will soon dwarf any other country in power and industrial capacity and will use it to expand in to space, this century ultimately belongs to the Chinese.
edit on 20-10-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
To all those who are wishing for profitable mining on the Moon:
You need to run a few numbers. Money that is.
Even if there were gold bars stacked on the surface of the Moon you couldn’t make a profit.
It would cost you several times as much just to get there and back.
This isn’t Star Trek

Let Russia put a build a base on the Moon. It will be a big money pit. The science they get back will be far less than what they spend.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Krusty the Klown

Russia...now there's a country with its head screwed on...

Spend your money on Moon bases, and get the heck off of the god forsaken rock...

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
To all those who are wishing for profitable mining on the Moon:
You need to run a few numbers. Money that is.
Even if there were gold bars stacked on the surface of the Moon you couldn’t make a profit.
It would cost you several times as much just to get there and back.
This isn’t Star Trek

You are talking about current technology and you are right. At this time it is not cost effective.

I was thinking more about 50 years in the future. It's going to take at least 20 years just to get the base established according to the Russians let alone to search for resources and start producing anything.

Think what technology might be available in 50 years time. How far have we come in the last 50 years technologically?

If we were discussing even landing on the Moon 100 years ago, your post would be probably have been uttered many times then too.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Krusty the Klown

Well that's moving the goal posts isn't it.

In 50 years why would it take 40 years to establish a Moon base? One would think technology advancement (yet to be demonstrated in the last 50 years of space exploration) as you suggest, could do it in a couple years by then. If landing on the moon first establishes ownership, then it belongs to the USA by that logic. But if you suggest that defense of stake could be established, the moon is a big place, a ground area bigger than the continent of Africa, and Russia and the US has never infiltrated each other's countries here on earth, where logistics are easier.

I myself don't believe there is anything of usable value on the moon for use back here on earth. Establishing a base camp there would be for pure unprofitable space exploration, science of the origins of our solar system, or a possible deep space launching port that also would have zero financial benefits in anyone's lifetime involved in the project(s). There is no OZ on the moon, no Fort Knox, no hidden money tree. We already have a good idea what is there, not a distant restaurant, with no food and no atmosphere, where the entertainment sucks–the stars only come out at night, which is every other two weeks so check closely with your travel agent before visiting, and get one of those cell phone russian/english translator aps, so they don't serve you a dry shoe instead of moon regolith steak. Never order it well done BTW.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

You may have mis-interpreted what I was saying, or I didn't say it clearly enough.

What I meant was following the time line of -

20 years - establish Moon Base

20-50 years - technology will be developed (hopefully) that could enable a profitable transport of resources (if any, as you say) back to Earth.

I wasn't moving the time line of the Moon Base, what I was trying to say was that maybe in 50 years time a profitable means of using moon-based resources may have been developed separately from the establishment of the Moon base using current technology.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join