It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any tarot card readers available to help?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Hi all
I am considering buying some tarot cards, sheerly out of curiosity and for something to do in my spare time personally.
I've been looking at some online but none seem to be really drawing my attention.
I've heard that you should be be specific when buying cards, to handle them before you buy them, in order to get a feel for them. Is this important?
I was also wondering if this was a good idea in general, since the female line in my family are very spiritually aware, and I wouldn't want this to possibly taint the cards or influence them badly in any way, or potentially draw any negative energy towards myself and home if this is possible.
At this stage, I'm trying to get as much information as possible to help me make my choices, so the people who I'd like to hear from most are those who already read the cards.
Thanks

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Here is a great website in my opinion. This guy presents the cards as they should be. Go into it with an open mind a pure spirit. Everyone has different gifts. If yours is cards, you'll know. Hope this helps

Taroscopes By Michael Tsarion
edit on 16-10-2011 by SuzMc because: link didnt work

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
you should first go to local tarot card readers in your area ...

they are not that expensive

after you see how full of hot air they are ....

perhaps you would reconsider the tarot cards lol

Also if you believe in the tarot card readings , then you should know you don't have to buy a special pack. You can make your own with markers , crayola and some paper ?

it'll both have the same value of nill

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
BTW...My cards fell off the shelf in front of me in Barnes and Noble last year. The cards will let you know which ones are right for you.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

Most important thing is that the specific card style and deck is one that you are drawn to and appeals to you. If you are shopping online, and have not been successful yet in finding one, I would recommend that you stop by a store front retailer and see some deck styles in person. Finding one that you are drawn to is well worth a bit of a wait.

If you still are having trouble finding one, this is my suggestion. If you can afford it - buy an classic deck (one example Rider-Waite) to start with. This will get you started - and perhaps allow you the time and opportunity to discover that deck that is just right for you.

Best of luck in your search!

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Yes I have heard of cards 'making themselves known' to potential buyers. I think there is one place in town that might sell them. I feel I would get a better idea of which cards would be right for me by handling them and looking through them, so your suggestion to go see for myself is appreciated

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie
Hi all
I am considering buying some tarot cards, sheerly out of curiosity and for something to do in my spare time personally.
I've been looking at some online but none seem to be really drawing my attention.
I've heard that you should be be specific when buying cards, to handle them before you buy them, in order to get a feel for them. Is this important?
I was also wondering if this was a good idea in general, since the female line in my family are very spiritually aware, and I wouldn't want this to possibly taint the cards or influence them badly in any way, or potentially draw any negative energy towards myself and home if this is possible.
At this stage, I'm trying to get as much information as possible to help me make my choices, so the people who I'd like to hear from most are those who already read the cards.
Thanks

The style of the pictures on the cards do effect your intuitive interpretation of them. And since the Tarot is a tool for harnessing intuition, your resonance to the imagery is important. For example, if you identify with Chinese folklore, then you probably wouldn't want a Rider-Waite version, etc. In short, look them up online and choose the set you identify with easiest.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I've been foiled by my local shop, they were closed

However I have found some traditional style ones online that I have taken a liking to

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
My favourite deck were the H.P.Lovecraft cards, but they aren't for everyone.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
In an incredible stroke of luck, a friend of mine gave me hers that she has barely used and sat in her loft for years.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I was just about to tell you that you are never supposed to buy your first set of tarot cards and that they are supposed to be given to you by someone. Seems like that worked itself out though

Not sure where that rule comes from but my gf who has been reading tarot for decades assures me it's true.

Personally I don't think it works, but to each there own

edit on 18-10-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

I was just about to tell you that you are never supposed to buy your first set of tarot cards and that they are supposed to be given to you by someone. Seems like that worked itself out though

Not sure where that rule comes from but my gf who has been reading tarot for decades assures me it's true.

Personally I don't think it works, but to each there own

edit on 18-10-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

There is no rule of acquisition to reading Tarot. If she adheres to a rule like that then it is of a religious or traditional origin independent of Tarot. How do you think the first Tarot practitioner received her deck?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Ahh yes I hadnt considered that. Obviously a fully stocked tarot card shop opened up and then they sat and waited for their first customer

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by Cuervo

Ahh yes I hadnt considered that. Obviously a fully stocked tarot card shop opened up and then they sat and waited for their first customer

I wasn't wanting to debate it. If this is important to somebody for ritualistic or religious reasons, then by all means, abide by it. I just wouldn't want to lay a baseless restriction on somebody who is simply interested in learning.

It is a tool for developing subconscious intuition and would work just as well if somebody put it in your Christmas stocking or is they carved them out of rocks as long as they personally related to the artwork and symbolism. Tarot follows the Jungian school of archetypes and a person's resonance to the imagery is important so I wouldn't want a person to pass up a deck that is better for them unless they have a good reason to do so.

That was all I was saying. I wasn't saying that your girlfriend is wrong, just saying it's not necessary for the function of the Tarot. Many practitioners have rules and traditions they follow and it's all perfectly fine.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I had heard that you should receive your first deck, which is strange, since I did, very unexpectedly

They have been a joy to work with too so far.

new topics

top topics

join