It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Squirrels doing the wave!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
(Feel free to move if in the wrong forum, as I did not know where to put it)

Living in a fairly heavily wooded area as I do, I tend to see a lot of things that most people overlook in nature, and lately I have been boggled by this behavior. I was watching a family of squirrels run across the yard when I noticed something interesting: as they move, their bodies seem to undulate in such a way as to produce a 'wave' motion from head to tail!

Since, I have been trying to find other animals exhibiting similar behavior, and aside from the obvious,(fish, worms, snakes etc.), I have found that it seems to me that humans are the ONLY vertebrate that do not seem to follow this pattern, at least that I have personally observed. I am interested to see how many different types of animal move in this way, if not all, and would gladly welcome explanation for this behavior, as this is a subject a bit too complex for a simple man such as myself to figure out alone

edit on 9-10-2011 by ShadowMonk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Well his bottom is moving up and down as he runs so it's to be expected his tail will "whip" all by itself I think. Does it work with short tailed animals too?

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowMonk

I hope this turns out, meaning the link..Having some computer trouble...Funny squirrels..www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

From what I have seen, it does, although I have had trouble actually seeing animals with tails much shorter than about 4 inches because I can't really see if it's moving in the same manner, however the spine seems to for the most part.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

I got your back bro, thanks for the vid! Definitely put a smile on my face!

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Fragile Earth: Discussion of climate change, pollution, and environment issues

I don't why mods keep on allowing people to post up cute or interesting animal youtube videos here

top topics

join