It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most cryptids to not exist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
In my opinion I think it is safe to say that most cryptids do not exist. I'll start with the favourites such as Bigfoot Sasquach, yeti. The reason I come to this conclusion is because I love watching wildlife documentaries and I know a lot of prep work and stakeouts go into gathering decent usable footage. Obviously experts are used who know how certain animals behave in their environment with regards to hunting/gathering food and where they are likely to rest and sleep.

Surely the majority of mammals sharing a habitat share similar survival techniques. So why hasn't anyone managed to gather usable wildlife documentary style footage of these creatures? My conclusion is because they don't exist.

Film makers manage to go into the most inhospitable jungles etc.. and film what they are looking for no matter how rare and elusive the animal maybe but yet we have seen nothing on the cryptids mentioned above.

Just to add I am not a skeptic or debunker and would love it if there was concrete evidence for these creatures but just a little underwhlemed that nothing concrete has surfaced over all these years and I do not believe these animals could be so much more intelligent than us and manage to hide from us for all this time.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by g60kg
In my opinion I think it is safe to say that most cryptids do not exist. I'll start with the favourites such as Bigfoot Sasquach, yeti. The reason I come to this conclusion is because I love watching wildlife documentaries and I know a lot of prep work and stakeouts go into gathering decent usable footage. Obviously experts are used who know how certain animals behave in their environment with regards to hunting/gathering food and where they are likely to rest and sleep.

Surely the majority of mammals sharing a habitat share similar survival techniques. So why hasn't anyone managed to gather usable wildlife documentary style footage of these creatures? My conclusion is because they don't exist.

Film makers manage to go into the most inhospitable jungles etc.. and film what they are looking for no matter how rare and elusive the animal maybe but yet we have seen nothing on the cryptids mentioned above.

Just to add I am not a skeptic or debunker and would love it if there was concrete evidence for these creatures but just a little underwhlemed that nothing concrete has surfaced over all these years and I do not believe these animals could be so much more intelligent than us and manage to hide from us for all this time.

I watch a lot of fishing shows, but I'll be damned if I see them ever drag up things so alien of appearance from the deep deep ocean.

No there is no concrete evidence for the yowi. But I have seen some god damned mad looking humans that to the person looking hard, may appear like one.

Cant rule it out, doesnt mean it's true.

But in the days before cgi, boobtube, twatter and farcebook, there was only word of mouth. Back then, people didnt gain instant fame for being a massive clown on the interweb. They were either ignored or there were others to create a credible source.

those tales don't wear thin to me, because of the current trend of 'polishedknobs' and the like.

I wait yet, before denouncing the entire thing.

edit on 7/10/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: insert correctional edits, remove nought.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by g60kg

I too think about the same questions. My thoughts are that some of the more intelligent cryptids do not act like all the other known mammals save humans. If someone is experienced in tracking and hunting game like deer, elk, hog, rhino, elephant, etc, does that mean they would easily be able to hunt a human?

There is a missing link in intelligence between the common mammal and humans, and i believe these cryptids are it. They are animal enough to live in the wild and have all the traits normally associated with an animal, but they have enough intelligence to stay out of the standard animal survival routines. They are outside of anything most humans ever have, or ever will know. Their survival depends on this.

Honestly your conclusion is probably the correct one, but i like to keep the door open because of the new discoveries that are made every day. To say something does not exist is arrogant. I would rather stick with the notion that, with our current understanding the evidence does not support their existence.

DC

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
We only proved gorilla's existence 100 or so years ago, and before then people would go into the mountains and talk of a hairy human like creature only to have people scoff and think they were nutty. Gorilla's are unbelievably hard to find in the wild and as of recently their numbers have increased exponentially because they are finding nests and such.

www.thedailygreen.com...

Gorillas avoid any human contact and unless you one of the very few people in the know, you will never find one, also it is very rare to find a corpse that was not killed by humans.

Bigfoot's supposed homes are in deciduous forests where if a corpse is lying out lasts a small amount of time. Grizzly bodies are also very hard to find in the wild, but yet they are out there.

My point is, we need actual scientists going in and looking for these creatures, there has been way too many eye witness accounts throughout history to just discard, and it is too hard with the amount of decent evidence that has been discovered to just dismiss the possibility.

Pred...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by xDeadcowx
There is a missing link in intelligence between the common mammal and humans, and i believe these cryptids are it.

DC

What? They are continuously proving animals are close to us in intelligence, dolphins and whales show very high levels of intelligence, why is there a missing link?

io9.com...

We think of ourselves as intelligent as we bend our environment around us, whereas other animals don't. Why does that make them less intelligent? They have been around as species for much longer than we have and will probably be here long after us, that is unless we kill them off, so to me that's more intelligent than us.

IMO there are plenty of animals out there that are much more intelligent than we are.

Pred...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Bigfoot does exist. I have seen it. Do you have any idea of the vast amount of animals cryptozoologists have discovered in just the past year? On average, there are almost 20,000 new varieties of plants and animals discovered per year. If you look back through history, some of the more common place animals, especially certain types of primates, were not discovered until fairly recently.

No one is out looking for Sasquatch in the correct way. It is hard to wrap your head around how large of an area of unexplored forests exist in the United States...Being a primate, Sasquatch isn't stupid, and the majority of the population will live where there is the least chance of human contact.

There is a fairly large amount of evidence for the existence of Sasquatch, and since over 99% of scientists do not believe it exists, why would they be out looking for it? The majority of sightings occur at random, usually by people that frequent the wilderness, ie hunters and fishermen.

Some people, mainly Native Americans, grow up in the forests, and many of them say only a handful of their tribe has actually seen one of the creatures. Just think of the odds...They spend their entire lives in the wilderness, where they are actually out hunting for their survival, and even they don't often encounter Sasquatch.

That just goes to show that anyone out looking for it for just a couple of days isn't going to get anywhere. It would take days just to get into the heart of the forests, that is if it is done quietly, and then it would take at least a week of searching, probably more, to even have a useful percentage chance of an encounter.

If you attempt to hunt Bigfoot on an atv or in a vehicle, or even use that to get yourself into the woods, you will scare off just about all large wildlife within at least a 3 mile radius. I wouldn't doubt the animal can sense or smell a human from a distance, and they have zero need to come out from the depths of the forests...

People think that humans have explored every nook and cranny of the world, but that is a huge assumption that just isn't true.
edit on 10/7/11 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

Originally posted by xDeadcowx
There is a missing link in intelligence between the common mammal and humans, and i believe these cryptids are it.

DC

What? They are continuously proving animals are close to us in intelligence, dolphins and whales show very high levels of intelligence, why is there a missing link?

io9.com...

We think of ourselves as intelligent as we bend our environment around us, whereas other animals don't. Why does that make them less intelligent? They have been around as species for much longer than we have and will probably be here long after us, that is unless we kill them off, so to me that's more intelligent than us.

IMO there are plenty of animals out there that are much more intelligent than we are.

Pred...

When has a whale proved its intelligence to you - and simply by evading capture and death is not enough because by instinct almost all animals do that.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Gorillas were one of the known animals I was thinking of when writing the thread. Yes they are hard to find but people manage it and we have lots of footage of them. I think mountain gorillas were discovered around the turn of the 20th century but other gorillas have been know for thousands of years.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jpaul

Whales boast brain cells that 'make us human'.

www.newscientist.com...

This is from 2006, much, much more to be read on the subject.

Pred...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jpaul

I'll take a whack at it...

This story is one I've recounted elsewhere here on ATS, but it's worth telling again...

A few years back, while I was still living and working in Alaska I had the opportunity to witness firsthand the intelligence, and cunning, of an Orca.

The fish freezing plant I worked at had a population of sea lions that just loved to mooch off us. We weren't supposed to feed them... but you know how that works... Anyway, a group of them used to haul out on a pile of rocks that stayed above the high tide line in all but the roughest of weathers, and they would come in to beg for food on a regular basis.

Well one day, while we're shut down for a few days due to weather, I'm out walking the beach (rocks and mud, but I digress...) just chilling out. As I walked onto an old dock to sit and watch the water and wave action, I noticed one of the sea lions come charging in from out in the bay... Since they're essentially as lazy as they are large, this caught my attention... I noticed, after a while, a dark shape bobbing up and down further out in the bay. It was an Orca periscoping...this is something they do to take a look at things at the surface of the water. Understanding, at last, what drove the sea lion to such effort, I decided to watch a bit longer. After a while, the Orca appeared to leave. Or so I thought. The sea lion apparently agreed with me, and a few minutes after the Orca left (apparently), the sea lion quit splashing around in the shallows under the dock and headed back out towards the rocky haul out...

Well... Not more than a couple of minutes later, a dark shape cruised by the dock. From the shoreside!! The Orca had swum out a few hundred yards, and then worked its way around behind the sea lion, knowing it would head for the haul out eventually, and had cut off its avenue of escape.

A couple of minutes later, off a short distance, there was a huge disturbance in the water, and the sea lion (now Orca chow...) came shooting out of the water with the Orca just behind it. More splashing, and then the water turned red, and no more sea lion.

That, I think, is a real example of intelligence and cunning. ...and a really cool episode of "nature, red of tooth and claw.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by jpaul

I'll take a whack at it...

This story is one I've recounted elsewhere here on ATS, but it's worth telling again...

A few years back, while I was still living and working in Alaska I had the opportunity to witness firsthand the intelligence, and cunning, of an Orca.

The fish freezing plant I worked at had a population of sea lions that just loved to mooch off us. We weren't supposed to feed them... but you know how that works... Anyway, a group of them used to haul out on a pile of rocks that stayed above the high tide line in all but the roughest of weathers, and they would come in to beg for food on a regular basis.

Well one day, while we're shut down for a few days due to weather, I'm out walking the beach (rocks and mud, but I digress...) just chilling out. As I walked onto an old dock to sit and watch the water and wave action, I noticed one of the sea lions come charging in from out in the bay... Since they're essentially as lazy as they are large, this caught my attention... I noticed, after a while, a dark shape bobbing up and down further out in the bay. It was an Orca periscoping...this is something they do to take a look at things at the surface of the water. Understanding, at last, what drove the sea lion to such effort, I decided to watch a bit longer. After a while, the Orca appeared to leave. Or so I thought. The sea lion apparently agreed with me, and a few minutes after the Orca left (apparently), the sea lion quit splashing around in the shallows under the dock and headed back out towards the rocky haul out...

Well... Not more than a couple of minutes later, a dark shape cruised by the dock. From the shoreside!! The Orca had swum out a few hundred yards, and then worked its way around behind the sea lion, knowing it would head for the haul out eventually, and had cut off its avenue of escape.

A couple of minutes later, off a short distance, there was a huge disturbance in the water, and the sea lion (now Orca chow...) came shooting out of the water with the Orca just behind it. More splashing, and then the water turned red, and no more sea lion.

That, I think, is a real example of intelligence and cunning. ...and a really cool episode of "nature, red of tooth and claw.
That's a nice story and sounds like a really enjoyable scene to witness but why aren't we suppose to be comparing the intelligence of the animal to us? I mean you compared a sea lion to an orca whale
edit on 2011-1010-07 by jpaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
In defence of sasquatch, I do think they exist, there is just to much land that hasn't been searched and if they are very intelligent which they would have to be they could stay hidden indefinitely. I always jump to wolverines when debating people about sasquatch. Wolverines are rarely seen and aren't accurately counted by wildlife services because of that. They have to use trail cams and reports to make a guess on population. Now sure there's documentaries about them and a good amount a videos of them, the only reason they find them to do documentaries is usually because they have been tagged previously in most cases, but when you consider a mammal that could have evolved along with us who knows how smart and cautious they could be.
It is peculiar that all continents have some form of ape or primate but not North America. The foods plentiful here to sustain a large population and cover is vast for them to hide in. There's an interview with Jane Goodall on the topic of Bigfoot and she believes it's likely if not almost certain that there is some type of ape or primate in North America.
The fossil record shows there have been large bipedal primates in the past. The chemistry is right for something like a Sasquatch to exist in our world and not to mention when enough people yell smoke there's usually a fire. I can't believe that thousands of people could be lying, misidentifying, or be just plan crazy. I'm sure a lot of people do misidentify bears or other animals for them, and it's understandable, I've seen bears standing up in the woods behind some bushes or trees and the first thing that pops in my head is "BIGFOOT!", but then I wait and it's just a bear... and then I run. Now if I wasn't as knowledgeable as I am with the area I'm in I could have left before I saw it was a bear and think a saw a bigfoot and believed it.
Now with loch ness, the food supply to support it just isn't there. Chucapbra or whatever it's spelled..... well I've seen so many descriptions of it I don't know what I would even be looking for. I always see either a weird dog thing or some sort of red eyed demon monkey. I'm willing to accept that maybe something sort of like what people are seeing might be out there but I'm sure it doesn't have glowing red eyes and sucking souls and flying off. Could just be a large undiscovered bat or something and people get scared and in there head it turns into that.
You're probably right that most of the cryptids in the world don't exist but it's very possible that some do and that's what's awesome with our world. Hope this didn't come of snarky, I enjoyed this thread.

P.S. I believe the mountain gorilla wasn't actually officially discovered till the early 40's so it's been well less than a hundred years. Before they discovered it the locals would describe a large hairy manlike creature that lived in the woods.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by g60kg

I feel that the Bigfoot want more people like you....allowing them to live in peace.

I believe that they do exist and are migratory and that is exactly why we cannot locate them. Also in looking at our history, they know exactly how dangerous that we are.

There is too much evidence by the original inhabitants of this continent, who were considerably closer to the environment, the Native Americans, supporting Bigfoot's existence throughout history. The Native peoples learned to live with them but they left one another alone.

If I were a Sasquatch and after looking at what happened to their former neighbors the Native Americans who were almost all killed off, I'd probably hide as well.

Hoping that more of us don't "believe" in their existence.

As I'd recently said. If we did discover them we'd only find some way to tax them (land use tax, tree tax...etc.) and force them to find jobs....in which to pay their taxes.

Or else they'd become fugitives ....and then we would have a new category of domestic terrorists to apprehend....and to subsequently shoot down like dogs. As the Native Americans were.

....I really cannot blame them for hiding from us. If I had an opportunity to live scot free and better yet tax free I'd seriously consider jumping at the opportunity !

edit on 7-10-2011 by nh_ee because: .LIVE FREE OR DIE

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jpaul

Not really. It's a valid observation. A human hunter would do much the same as that Orca did, at least this hunter would.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
In my opinion

That needs to be added to the thread title, I love experts.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by moonrunner
In my opinion

That needs to be added to the thread title, I love experts.

it would be a real nuisance if every opinionated thread had the words 'in my opinion' in its title. I have clearly stated that its my opnion in my opening post so I dont think people will be confused about what I am saying and where my expertees lie.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
The nuisance is the abundance of threads masquerading as fact which turn out to be nothing more than opinion and speculation.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by moonrunner

air your concerns in those threads and allow relevant discussion in this thread.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Good thread....

How fabulous it would be for a major city's aquarium to have the Loch Ness monster! There's a little problem: AFAIK... it doesn't exist. It's kind of hard to capture a creature that is a fake. Sure, maybe in the 50s, 60s, the 70s... and even in the 80s... the Loch Ness was a big and formidable body of water. But in this day and age, I'm sure that scientists have the equipment to scope something of this size out - no problem.

This is the rub... the people at Loch Ness do Not Want to debunk this. Why? In my opinion, propagating and continuing to advertise the mystery is a good tourist trap. They are more interested in the cash, than the truth. Sorry if this sounds blunt... It's just my opinion.
edit on 9/10/2011 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

top topics

join