It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria halts nearly all imports, 4 Syrian soldiers killed, 7 arrested by Syrian military on Turkish b

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

AMMAN: Syria has banned most imports except raw materials and grains, local businessmen said Saturday, in a move to preserve foreign currency reserves as pressure grows from a popular rebellion and Western sanctions against Syria’s rulers.

The article says that Syria has done this in order to preserve foreign currency reserves. Im guessing that means they are getting extremely tight on funds. After searching for a bit, I also found this article.

[url]http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/WTARC/2011/me_turkey1202_09_26.asp" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">
www.dailystar.com.lb...[/ url]

AMMAN: Syria has banned most imports except raw materials and grains, local businessmen said Saturday, in a move to preserve foreign currency reserves as pressure grows from a popular rebellion and Western sanctions against Syria’s rulers.

The article says that Syria has done this in order to preserve foreign currency reserves. Im guessing that means they are getting extremely tight on funds. After searching for a bit, I also found this article.

[url]http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/WTARC/2011/me_turkey1202_09_26.asp

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Erdogan said his Navy was ordered to stop weapons shipments to the Assad regime through the Mediterranean Sea or by air. Erdogan said one Syrian weapons shipment was already intercepted by the Turkish Navy.

I wonder, did Syria stop nearly all imports because they want to preserve foreign currency reserves, or is this in response to what Turkey is now doing, or both? Either way, Turkey seems to be the one that is taking the most action against Syria.

Another article says Syria has shot and killed a few of their own military on the Syria-Turkey border at a Syrian military outpost.

www.pretorianews.co.za...

Beirut - Four Syrian soldiers were shot dead on Monday as they tried to escape a military camp and troops sealed off towns in a continuing crackdown on opponents of President Bashar al-Assad, activists said.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, based in Britain, said the four soldiers were killed by military police when they tried to flee their post in the northern province of Idlib, which borders Turkey. Another seven soldiers were arrested.

From what Im seeing in the media at the moment, I believe Turkey looks likely to be the first country use force (even after the embargo) against Syria.
edit on 26-9-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

ETA - Not sure why my 2nd link isnt clickable. Tried to fix it, but still cant get it to work.
edit on 26-9-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I was reading this earlier. This situation could be telling. This is something definitely worth keeping an eye on.
S & F

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

so, Syria bans imports and shoots 4 of their own but this leads you to believe Turkey will be the first aggressor?
wow, that's a stretch even for most conspiracy theorists.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Ive been wondering...what does this mean for the West? It dosent really look like Turkey is going along with what the UN has been doing (im not sure if they really even follow the UN), with the West pushing for a resolution, but a few other countries like China and Russia pushing against a resolution. It seems like Turkey is bypassing the UN on this one.

reply to post by Honor93

In my opinion, Syria's problem is within their own country. Syria isnt the one sending their military to stop weapons shipments to a foreign nation in this situation.

top topics

join