It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomorrow is "Nevermind" 20 year anniversary, and five things you didnt know about it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This is an interesting article. First off let me start by saying that I do believe that Nevermind is one of the most influential records, at the very least of our generation.

Smells Like Teen Spirit came out when I was in high school and it didn't look our sound like anything anyone heard, and people talked about it for days. That one video changed the entire music industry.

I remember hearing about the secret lyrics, but never got to far into it.

The article goes onto mention the multiple drummers and the hidden kiss picture I didn't know about.

So celebrate the 20th anniversary of Nevermind, some of us are going to feel old while we are at it. And maybe some can remember the coming out of the album and I would like to hear your experience.

5 Things You didnt know...

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

probably their best record
as if it was 20 years ago....

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
As I looked at the secret lyrics the article spoke of I thought it could be a Homosexual link. Anyone else see this?

"At the end of the rainbow and your rope" and "The second coming came in last and out of the closet."

I know just because the lyrics mention "rainbow" and "out of the closet" doesn't have to mean Gay but they did stand out because the "rainbow" being a symbol and "out of the closet" is a term to describe someone coming to terms with themselves and not hiding their sexual preferences anymore.

I have read references that he was possibly bi-sexual just because of some comments he made in interviews.

But then again I could have read to much into it.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Just came home from a night out with luscious models.... felt young..

NOW I REALLY FEEL OLD AGAIN. But that's cool, at least I outlived Kurt... may he rest in peace.

Oh the memories.
tnx

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Wow now I feel old lol. Best album of all time imo. Loved his lyrics! I always liked how he mentions "gun" in the first 3 songs on the album and well we all know he shouldnt have been left alone with a gun.....Great loss thats for sure this generations Lennon?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Certainly could be....but the first lyric "At the end of the rainbow and your rope" Seems more oddly prophetic to me....At the end of the rainbow is a pot of Gold (as any good Leprechaun knows) and also being at the end of your rope is obviously a reference to suicide by hanging. So 'being at the end of the rainbow' seems to me to mean you have reached your goal and found success and money, yet at the same time you are 'at the end of your rope' getting ready to hang yourself......Being successful, yet finding no happiness there, and deciding to end it all....and both of those lines being 'hidden' lyrics...Perhaps Kurt knew that he was contemplating his final action earlier than we all thought?
edit on 23-9-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: changed the wording a bit for no reason, other than to make myself happy.....You want me to be happy don't you?!?!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

I don't know about this generations Lennon. That might be a bit over the top. He's definitely this generations Cobain.
I kid, I kid...this album and the whole "Seattle Grunge" really grabbed me by the balls. I was a Sophomore in HS when it all hit and I don't think I've outgrown this musical movement yet.

I've never had a style of music hit me so hard and connect with me so much. Nirvana was definitely right up there. I became more of a Pearl Jam lover, but only just a teeny bit. It was hard to really nail down a favorite from that time. There was Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Mudhoney, MotherLoveBone, Temple of the Dog, Green River, even Stone Temple Pilots though they weren't from Seattle.

Long dirty hair, flannel, stocking caps and Doc Martens forever!!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

I like your lyric explanation way more. Great insight!
I thought I was probably reading into it to much.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Its very possible. I believe he was bipolar and when they are manic they can have bisexual tendencies. and a high chance of suicide.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by iNkGeEk

Funny thing is that I heard he took like 20 minutes to write lyrics. So either he was a genius, which I can believe, or everyone is just a sucker.

top topics

join