It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S. African ex-miners sue Anglo American in UK court

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

S. African ex-miners sue Anglo American in UK court

www.trust.org

A ruling by South Africa's top court earlier this year, allowing lung-diseased miners to sue their employers, has revived interest in many long-running cases and could, lawyers say, open the door for tens of thousands of former mineworkers to sue South African mining companies at a cost that analysts say could hit $100 billion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
4 IN 5 MINERS NOW SUFFER FROM THE LUNG DISEASE
this is purely disgusting.
i hope these miners get every penny from Anglo American.
they knew the danger.
but i guess poor people are expendable right?

why is it always so hard for people to get money in cases like this. you shouldnt need to go to court, it should be given automaticaly..and the first payments should come right from the ceo's pocket
a similar case in australia regrading company james hardie and asbestos left many miners dying long before they ever got payed

coprporate scum

www.trust.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
They will win in court, but only after many have died.

It was the same with Agent Orange withe Vietnam vets, still ongoing investigations and studies concerning DU & untested vaccinations with the Desert Storm vets, DU and burn pits with the OEF/OIF vets...etc, etc.

To many times we have seen the various studies contradict each other, further delaying treatment or monetary recompsense...and more die.

And then there will be the appeals as well.

It's a common delaying tactic Gov't and Corps. use. To great effectivness.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
yep, one of the democratic candidates in michigan sent out questionairres to all the military people to see how many had symptoms that might be GWS (gulf war syndrome). they took it before congress and both sides of the argument presented doctors to argue the case for their side. then nothing. fast forward 10 years, and the only thing that's said is, they've decided it's too many symptoms to be one problem, so GWS no longer officially exists. but it is all related. mycoplasmic infection attacks neurons, reprograms the nerves so they don't fire correctly or at all, burns the rubbery sheath off motor nerves and etc. this resolves into various types of neuropathy and the gradual breakdown of nerves that operate the various organs of the body.

end result. many different symptoms, that mimic everything from lymes disease to chronic fatigue.
edit on 21-9-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

I hope they (the miners win). But what about this? acidification of water. Whilst most people know that South Africa's wealth came from the mining industry, very few know at what cost. Pity those old companies that caused that mess aren't around anymore to sue the crap out of them, and to make them clean up their own mess. Now that a lot of the (smaller) companies that did the mining are defunct, and their ex-owners (or their descendants) are millionaires, who has to clean up the mess that they left behind? And still people think that it is good and well to rape and plunder nature for her wealth, too bad for our children that has to try and cope with it.... Does it sound familiar?????

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
reply to post by UniverSoul

I hope they (the miners win). But what about this? acidification of water.

what is acidification of water? i can't read the .pdf.
is it more alkaline or more acidic? the reason i ask is some things that are highly alkaline are acidic in nature, et.al, they still burn like an acid. some are neutralizers, and some of course are just described as alkaline.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

ok, here is a more mainstream article about it :le gacy of mining

Another fact that very few people are aware of is how contaminated the water in rivers hundreds of kilometers from the mines are by heavy metals.
www.anthonyturton.com...
and here
www.watersafe.co.za...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
reply to post by undo

ok, here is a more mainstream article about it :le gacy of mining

Another fact that very few people are aware of is how contaminated the water in rivers hundreds of kilometers from the mines are by heavy metals.
www.anthonyturton.com...
and here
www.watersafe.co.za...

hmm, i don't know enough about chemistry to comment on whether it's alkaline or acid, but it doesn't look good or sound good. they need to at least find a way to divert it from pouring into the river.

top topics

join