It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Dolphin Species Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
From the Story: Australian researchers discovered a new species of dolphin right in their own backyward. It turns out that a population of 100 dolphins in Port Phillip Bay and 50 in the Gippsland Lakes on Australian's southern coast are genetically unique. The dolphins were originally thought to be one of two bottlenose species, but genetic tests show they are in fact a newly discovered species—the third new dolphin species discovered since the late 1800s. The new species has been given the name Burrunan dolphin, Aboriginal for “large sea fish of the porpoise kind.”

lightyears.blogs.cnn.com...

I've become very interested in dolphins lately..pretty cool stuff

edit on 16-9-2011 by dragonseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonseeker

Dolphins are amazing animals. I'm glad to see a new species discovered. I recall some recent sad news about a species of freshwater bottlenose dolphins going extinct in China. It's amazing how other species can adapt and evolve while it seems the human race is going through a period of regression. Dolphins are the smartest mammals in my opinion, even smarter than humans

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

It's been thought for a long time that the bottle noses in Port Phillip Bay (which I've lived beside my whole life) are a different species. It's just that no one had proved it. They're shorter than a regular bottle nose which some people put down to living in a small bay, and their markings are totally different too. They are pretty friendly little guys. They hang around the local pier here in summer and will swim up to you without hesitation.

IRM

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I share your interest. Maybe I can reccomend the following thread to you.

Orca thread

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

I share your interest. Maybe I can reccomend the following thread to you.

Orca thread

great thread there, thanks!! orcas are amazing too. thanks for the replies everyone..

new topics

top topics

join