It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What in the? Jersey Shore Production to Receive $420,000.00 from....TAX PAYERS!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
When Situation and Ronnie find out where their tax dollar is going they're going to be like " hey Yo , WTF, oh yeah you wanna f#*$@n piece a this, yeah yeah bring it bi#%h''

I'm proud to pay through my taxes for quality reality TV, a national debt I never incurred, landmines and nukes, farcical wars and the box my friend came home from Iraq in, which I guess he part payed for himself through his taxes.

I've only read the headline and I don't want to know anymore fine detail because at this stage I've zoomed out to get the bigger picture, "Portrait of a Massive Fraud" .The entire tax system is an engineered parasite and needs to be eliminated.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Giving tax breaks to TV and film productions is a very common thing done by states to lure large productions to a place. Consider that a single episode of Jersey Shore probably costs upwards of $500,000 to $750,000 to produce, a very large amount of that money going to local workers employed in some way on the show (PAs, catering, hotels for out of town crew, payments to locations for shooting, etc., etc.), it probably is a bargain in even the short-run to give a tax break to them to make sure the production keeps going. I've budgeted pilots for reality shows and even just an 8 minute "sizzle reel" done to try and sell a show can cost upwards of $150,000 to $175,000 of pure production costs, even before you start paying the stars, producers, director, etc.

The government of Northern Ireland gave HBO a massive deal to base their production of "Game of Thrones" in Belfast, including free use of a massive state owned soundstage and production facility called Paint Hall for the duration of the show. The total outlay per season to bring the show there involved the cost of that facility, tax breaks and some other goodies, and is worth many millions of $$ in savings per season to HBO. However, that show is still spending at least $50 million per season to produce (perhaps closer to $75 million, especially as the story only gets bigger in later seasons) and the vast majority of that money is going back into the N. Ireland and U.K. economy, as part of the deal states that they had to hire mostly U.K.-based production staff and actors for the show.
edit on 9/15/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
"smaller Govt: peeps!"

Every one loves to"hate on" the teaparty here : but this is what its about. The govt taking your money to give to some fatcat bureaucratic "suit" who sends it to his chosen buddies.

Hey they are supporting small business right ?Who could hate that? But keeping snooki "orang-ish is an insulting use of my money.

She could waitress her fat butt around for tips and see the free market effect of an "orange""server"
edit on 15-9-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-9-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
Giving tax breaks to TV and film productions is a very common thing done by states to lure large productions to a place.

That doesn't make it right.

When someone is about to give tax money to someone else, I want to know about it and have the option to say yay or nay. But that's not happening. People are taking our money and appropriating it as they see fit.

And those film productions will happen whether they are lured to specific places or not.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
You guys, do NOT underestimate Jersey Shore's crew. You will see one or two of them getting big and very powerful, perhaps even playing a role in politics. They are valuable tools for TPTB's process of dumbing down the American youth. You think it's just a "failure" the fact that Rutgers University Programming Association paid more for a Snooki's lecture, than a Nobel winner?? Even UFO disclosure subject, when "elaborated" by Snooki, gets a new whole meaning:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I really dont think they looked at it as a liabliltiy or as in being "bad". Just another 1/2 million dollars to advertise on a show that reaches millions and millions of consumers.

It doesnt matter that its terrible and an insult to Italians and the people of the great state of New Jersey....it means people are talking...and watching....and potentially will be buying those items advertised on the show.

Look. even us here...WE are talking about the darn show....so for advertising? Not a bad investment financially.
I still hate that show.....sigh......

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by circlemaker
And those film productions will happen whether they are lured to specific places or not.

Maybe yes and maybe no; if a production can't be brought in on or under budget it may not happen. Also, the reason these governments do these things to lure productions is because there is a lot of competition for those same movie dollars being spent in other places. A movie could get made in Baltimore, or it could just as easily get made in Cleveland, probably. But because Maryland got very good at luring productions to their state a long time ago, and Ohio didn't, there are more movies being made in that state and consequently more money is getting spent there. That means more people get hired and that generates tax revenue for the state that comes back to the state. From the point of view of the state government, this is a method of investing in bringing more work money into the state, same as trying to attract a large corporation to build a factory there might be, or to move their headquarters there. In the case of Maryland, there is a small but very strong and very professional movie and TV industry happening there because there has always been several productions going on there at any given time. That wouldn't exist without some way to convince productions it's worth their while to shoot there.

Plunk down $420,000 and generate $5,000,000 in production revenue that all gets spent in-state, on jobs, on salaries, on hotels, restaurants, etc. and you are doing pretty good for everyone involved, I think. I'm not defending the quality of the show Jersey Shore, I happen to think it is at the very nadir of American culture (if you can even call it "culture"), but from an investment point of view something like that is a pretty sound endeavor.

The beauty of having a production happen in your location is that it's real work happening and real money being spent in that place. It's not like a company that has an office in Des Moines, IA, that calls themselves an "American corporation," but then does all of their manufacturing in India, or what have you. A movie or TV production brings real, hard cash into the pockets of people working and living in that place.
edit on 9/16/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by 1AnunnakiBastard

The news according to snooki? Kill me now.

I'd hate to think that taxpayers are really footing the bill for jersey shore, its vapid, nonsensical rubbish. Thats my opinion though. Still, regardless of who pays for it, reality shows should be banned. End of.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
too bad the taxpayers couldn't get themselves organized....
we should keep tabs on just where this economic developement money goes to, and every unemployed person within 50 miles should show up at their door on a set day wanting to fill out applications!!
I mean, $420,000......the should create what, at least a few thousand low paying jobs!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
too bad the taxpayers couldn't get themselves organized....

They did: contrary to popular left wing opinion here; it is called the "tea party movement" it is not a political party but a loose gathering of like minded people advocating responsible government.

flame suit " on".

Originally posted by dawnstar
we should keep tabs on just where this economic developement money goes to, and every unemployed person within 50 miles should show up at their door on a set day wanting to fill out applications!!
I mean, $420,000......the should create what, at least a few thousand low paying jobs!!!

edit on 16-9-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

What in the hell is jersey shore...never heard of it but maybe theres a reason I never heard of it

I dont watch tv you all should follow suit and there wont be millions being spent on entertainment
edit on 16-9-2011 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
"Jersey Shore" just solidifies the nonexistence of my desire to go to New Jersey.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Dont feel that bad man my retarded baby momma would let my daughter watch family guy when she was 4 and still lets her watch it...shes 6 now. Who would have to be so disturbed in their head to let a child watch family guy, its not a cartoon for kids its for grown ups and teenagers!

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
External links:

The Story....

The New Jersey EDA website...

The contact page on the New Jersey EDA website...

The contact email address publicly listed on the contact page: [email protected] (Go check for yourself.)

These scumbags need to get about a bazillion emails on this issue. I sent mine in. Anyone else game?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Wha.... I don't even....

Unfrigginbelievable!

Our infrastructure is in need of a massive up date and almost half a mill goes into Jersey Shore? Can't wait to see more levies give out, more flooding and less reaction time. All because of this idiotic, barbaric and just primeval show.
edit on 16-9-2011 by Canned2na because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
yup its all over im done. south park predicted this. goodbye and good luck

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
In trying to understand this, we should try to think of what profits could come from this. Perhaps it will attract a lot of tourism to NJ. Maybe they will tour the state or be required to make scheduled appearances that in turn will boost tax revenue for the state.

I think we could be interpreting this the wrong way. It doesn't make any sense for the state to just hand out money. There must be something in it for NJ too. Already that show has attracted more people to that area, I'm sure. If you don't believe it has, trust me...a lot of people might go there just for a chance to make it into an episode or befriend these people.

So, there could be something in it for NJ. To what group of taxpayers is he referring, anyway? New Jersey-ers? That would make sense, if so. This must be a move for NJ to get a cut of profits or increase tourism revenue.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

more than likely....
someone with the power to give away the money has the hots for one the pretty little actresses, or has a wife that is the cousin of the best friend, of...................well, you get the idea....

we should have a thread on here.....
The Stupid Ways They Spend Our Money
where we can list all the stupidity in one spot.....

then write to our representatives and invite them to visit the page....
show them where they can cut the budget without depriving servicemen of their pay, or grandmas from their social secuirty, or schools from funding....ect...

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I don't think most people would go along with this, what I do think is that most people simply do not know about it. If it was announced by the President tomorrow on prime time that this transaction would be occurring at the expense of taxpayers, I highly doubt you would generate any support for it.
edit on 17-9-2011 by laiguana because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
$420 to one company ! you are talking peanuts my friend

What about $650k just to create one single job

Now Obama wants to move from cuts to stimulation the economy with his new $475bn jobs budget but you can not steel money if you can not move money so don't exspect to see one cent from this new jobs plan.

Obama in effect wants to take money from the public to stimulate the public if you follow the logic because i sure as hell can not.

Hang the bankers and stop the $2.5bn you are speding on fighting wars for the zionist controlled corporations would soon sort this mess out, we all know it but no one is asking us in this democracy they tell us we all have.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join