It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long-time Lurker, Recently Started Posting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I have lurked at ATS for years, but only started posting sporadically in the past few months. I realized today that I've never taken advantage of this introduction forum, so I wanted to remedy that situation.

I was initially drawn to ATS through google search while researching the historicity of Jesus Christ. I was raised in a strict Christian environment, and had never seriously questioned the truth of what I was being taught until I was in my 20s.

I chose the moniker "notquitesure" not because I'm necessarily confused, but rather mystified by life and its many facets. I have greatly enjoyed reading these forums through the years, but only recently felt compelled to join the discussion.

The list of things that I'm not quite sure about is too numerous to detail but I will throw out a couple. I still consider myself spiritual if not exactly religious, but I'm certainly not quite sure about the existence of afterlife. I "feel" that the afterlife is real, but I readily admit that this may all be some virtual game waiting to have the plug pulled and fade to black.

The above paragraph leads naturally to a discussion of atheism vs. theism, and I'm not quite sure about that either. I have strong feeling about the existence of some type of overriding intelligence, but I'm not sure about God in the classic sense. What if we are a video game waiting to be unplugged? That might mean that we have no afterlife, but what of the programmer? And who programmed the programmer? These are the questions that keep my head spinning and keep me reading for hours.

I read with great interest threads about topics such as "Moon landing hoax." I'm amused when someone can simultaneously believe in an infinite universe theory and that the moon landing was impossible. If there are infinite universes, then we landed on the moon in at least one of them, right? And if we only have one universe, a universe where the moon landing didn't happen, we are back to the question: who designed it? And if we believe that there is a designer, wouldn't it be silly to think that he couldn't design a reality where we could go to the moon? And if there is no designer (and hence we aren't a video game), then what came before us? And what came before that? It never ends, does it? (And before I get any arguments, yes I am well aware that there could be infinite universes and we could happen to reside in one where no one has walked on the moon. I'm just generally trying to paint a picture of the vastness and circular nature of it all),

The more I learn, the more I know that I don't know, but the more fun I have as well. I believe in the Christian philosophy that we should treat other people the way we want to be treated. I think this makes sense and just makes us feel good here on earth. It's bound to be a benefit if there is an afterlife, and if we fall over dead and that's it, then why not feel good about ourselves before the lights go out? I have a strong feeling that we are all interconnected, part of the same whole, but I'm not sure I would go so far as to call it a belief.

If the afterlife is real, I would like to believe in a peaceful heaven. But I have often wondered if things might get worse on the other side. Eternal wars between Angels and Demons? Who knows? I am certainly not quite sure.

On a personal level, I have been self-employed for many years. Have had some ups and downs, but am fairly stable and appreciate my good fortune in being so. I have friends who do mission work and I am at once both horrified by the stories of suffering, and amazed by the willingness that these friends have to do this work. I sometimes wonder why others are willing to do, while I mostly observe. I have three good kids, and I am doing my part to try to raise them right, but more and more I feel that I am not doing nearly enough.

I have a degree in finance, plus quite a bit of coursework in economics and statistics. I no longer use any of it on a daily basis, but it does help me to understand our global financial situation and I read the various reports with great interest. I support Ron Paul philosophically more than any other major candidate, but I fear that were he to actually achieve the presidency, things would become nasty and dangerous in a hurry, and I'm not sure that most of us have the stomach to deal with it. For the most part, we are all more comfortable as cooking frogs. At least it's wet in the pot.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by notquitesure

Hi notquitesure, and welcome to the Introductions Forum, a place to say hello to the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's) Private Messages to Staff only for now.

Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads in the appropriate forums and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Some handy links, links and more links.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Start Here - ATS Freshmans Forum

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please read)

Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Background images

Signature Guidelines

Try our Ask ATS with the search words of your choice.
I'm sure you will find many threads to pick from to add your thoughts and opinions too.

Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Sauron,
Super-Moderator.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Welcome to the site, even though youve been here ages, see you around.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by notquitesure

NQS
What a thoughtful introduction. Thank you for introducing yourself. If you are interested in my introduction, it can be found down at the bottom of my posts list.

the Christian philosophy that we should treat other people the way we want to be treated.

I hold strongly to the Golden Rule also. It brought me great joy to find that this philosophy was fundimental to not only the religion in which I was brought up but to most other religions as well. I don't think we can go wrong with it.

Welcome and see you around the place NQS.

top topics

join