It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are spiral galaxies the recipe for life?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
im no mathmatician so i cant do the calcutions but from what i can tell spiral galaxies are the only galaxies which sturcture are determined by the fibonacci sequence
considering that the fibonacci sequence appears everywhere in nature and living things, could this mean only spiral galaxies contain life?

i have no doubt in my mind that one day when we work it all out the fibonnaci sequence and sprial will be involved!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
You have a point - perhaps spiral galaxies harbour life as we know it - in other words it harbours life that is engineered according to / ruled by the Fibonacci sequence.

But there may be thousands of different computations, numbers, ratios and means that determine the recipes for different life-forms - which will remain unknown to us until we have the means to measure and experience that new subset. That is the beauty of our mysterious universe - it is a vast giganticallyenormously canvas filled with every kind of possibility.

Edited to note - your second video's link is not working.

edit on 9/9/2011 by shimmeringsilver73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by UniverSoul
im no mathmatician so i cant do the calcutions but from what i can tell
considering that the fibonacci sequence appears everywhere in nature and living things, could this mean only spiral galaxies contain life?

i have no doubt in my mind that one day when we work it all out the fibonnaci sequence and sprial will be involved!
You have contradicted yourself.

the fibonacci sequence appears everywhere in nature

spiral galaxies are the only galaxies which sturcture are determined by the fibonacci sequence
Meaning non-spiral galaxies don't have the fibonacci sequence which falsifies your postulate that "the fibonacci sequence appears everywhere in nature", since by your own words, it obviously does not.

I'm not sure exactly how life arises (nobody knows), but I feel pretty confident the shape of the galaxy is not a significant factor in the process.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Does this really need to be explained?
The OP was referring to our OBSERVABLE surroundings.

On track...
Wouldn't it be incredible if each galaxy's contents were defined by it's own sequence of numbers, like fractals.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Planet teleX

Does this really need to be explained?
The OP was referring to our OBSERVABLE surroundings.
It hasn't been explained yet.

Both spiral and non-spiral galaxies can be observed and are therefore observable.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Have you been to another galaxy and seen if the Fibonacci sequence is at ground zero in nature there?

I feel privileged to have met someone who has experienced light speed travel

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
No, spiral galaxies are the result of life. Se following video for reference:

edit on 10-9-2011 by Vorlon128 because: gramar, also this post isnt serious

edit on 10-9-2011 by Vorlon128 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-9-2011 by Vorlon128 because: youtube thing :/

edit on 10-9-2011 by Vorlon128 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

spiral galaxies are the only galaxies which sturcture are determined by the fibonacci sequence

Then where are all of the green galaxies?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9aa4d8841956.jpg[/atsimg]

The red sequence includes most red galaxies which are generally elliptical galaxies. The blue cloud includes most blue galaxies which are generally spirals.

What if the spirals the we percieve are actually straigh lines from the perspective of the galaxies themselves. Due to the curvature of space resulting from the massive concentration of gravity, and if we were to ride inside one of the Galaxies our craft would have to go in a perfectly straight line to stay on the curved path.

The above paragraph will be far more productive to meditate on than to take up the fibonachi and try to make the observable universe fit into it.

Starting with a theory and finding data to fit it, is considered poor science. Rather one should examine the evidence and see if there is any detectable pattern.

The field of Galaxy Morphology is still young,
and there is room for a major breakthrough,
but if it was as simple as the golden mean
don't you think a physicist would have
noticed by now?

David Grouchy

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3aa611c1c1f8.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 10-9-2011 by davidgrouchy because: format

top topics

join