It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuba releases world's first lung cancer vaccine

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
cancerresearchjournal.com...

Cuban health officials said patients from outside the island nation are welcome to travel Cuba for treatment, but American patients may be unable to take advantage of the offer because of travel restrictions put in place by the US in the 1960s.

The vaccine has been approved for clinical trials in the United States and other countries, but approval by the US Food and Drug Administration— if it comes — is not expected for several years.

Is likely that if it is approved, it will cost to high heavens, otherwise, there will be nothing to gain for Big Pharma and it won't ever see the light of day in the US.

Now, what was that about Obama lifting travel restrictions to Cuba? Oh wait, that never happened.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Ironic a country famous for its cigars would development a lung cancer vaccine

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

"The drug could turn the cancer into a manageable, chronic disease"

Hardly a cure or what I would consider a vaccine...But it's better than nothing.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

I like to burn a cigar now and then so I took a look at your source and noticed two things:

The report is three years old.

The estimate is that survival is increased by four to five months.

Sorry, but I can't get excited about this.

Edited to add: I'm not a monster, four to five months may be a lot to somebody. But it certainly doesn't sound like a significant breakthrough for the twenty-five years of work the say they've put into it.
edit on 8-9-2011 by charles1952 because: Add text.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
This better not turn out like virus in "I Am Legend." Cause that would suck majorly

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
~

hummm, wonder who actually patented it 1rst ?
cancer breakthrough

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Apparently Cuba or was it Mexico...? Has a healthcare system that far exceeds the USA, and most of it is FREE compared to the hundreds of thousands of dollars you would need to pay if you were in America... Have to feel sorry for the sheeple who fall for it.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unvarnished
reply to post by Droogie

I see a lot of Communist bashing in this post, its just sad that communism is probably one of the only systems that takes care of an individual's health without having them pay a high price for their survival.

That was not my intent. It was more an attempt at thinly veiled sarcasm, but it is hard to get across just by mere writing.

edit on 9/9/11 by Droogie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

I don't trust our government, and I sure as hell won't trust the Cuban government.

Originally posted by ChrisF231

....every time someone comes out with something that is supposedly the be all, end all of cancer it either doesent work at all, or it only works on a relatively small number of patients under very controlled settings

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

.......why the heck would I ever trust the Cuban Government because they say it's so?

[color=DEFFE0]"Sweet. Good job boys. Take the rest of the day off, paid of course. Enjoy your weekend. Our job here is done. We no longer even have to discredit medical breakthroughs from other countries. Most of them are already brainwashed enough, that they instantly discredit it themselves, and don't even realize it."

edit on 9/9/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I'm so happy it almost brings tears to my eyes. I'm so happy this vaccine was released and not hidden, bought out or destroyed by some big company wanting to make a profit. This is a step forward in making this a better world. No one deserves to suffer and die of cancer, it affects many and theirs no need to suffer more than we are now in this current world. I have seen many loved ones pass away due to cancer and its very sad to see the tears they have from the pain and knowing they don't have much time. Cancer is like tossing someone who don't know how to swim in the middle of a lake, its a struggle to make it to shore, its definitely hard and very few make it. S&F
edit on 9-9-2011 by unknown32 because: foregot S&F

edit on 9-9-2011 by unknown32 because: S&F

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
unknown32,

I'm glad for your happiness. Any improvement in reducing disease and distress is good. I received the impression from your post that you might be reading a little too much into this.

Originally posted by unknown32
No one deserves to suffer and die of cancer, it affects many and theirs no need to suffer more than we are now in this current world. I have seen many loved ones pass away due to cancer and its very sad to see the tears they have from the pain and knowing they don't have much time.

This drug, if it works as advertised, does not keep anyone from getting cancer, it does not cure any cancer, people who take this drug will die of cancer, and they will know they have less than six months to live.

It made me very sad to type that last sentence.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Yeah....i'm sure cuba - the ass end of the world - has the cancer vaccine.....

great find ATS.......

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
I'm sure it's a "vaccine" to lessen the symptoms of lung cancer..
Really, it probably lowers your life expectancy.
I don't trust our government, and I sure as hell won't trust the Cuban government.

Although the vaccine doesn’t cure the disease, it can minimize the cancer’s growth due to its antibodies that combat the proteins that allow uncontrolled cell growth

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join